Leslie Anderson Signs with Rays

ThunderBolt

Fidel's former favorite son, a 1B/Cf, Leslie Andersen has defected. He's only 26 year old, and i want him on the squad. He's a guy who can do a lot of everything and was profiled in a Michael Lewis piece called Commie Ball. The link for the article about the defection is here and in Espanol. http://www.elnuevoherald.com/deportes/story/640599.html

Commie Ball: http://www.vanityfair.com/politics/feature..._baseball200807

Edited by Thunderbolt

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Jan 28, 2010 -> 09:11 PM)
With the usual process of getting players to the US, he won't be able to be in a big league camp until 2011 if he is just now defecting. He still has to establish citizenship in central America somewhere before he can sign.

He defected to Mexico in September.

Dunno how far he is along in the process of establishing citizenship though.

QUOTE (iamshack @ Jan 28, 2010 -> 10:26 PM)
He defected to Mexico in September.

Dunno how far he is along in the process of establishing citizenship though.

He must be pretty far along if his agent is making a public push for offers. No need to generate interest if the guy's going to be sitting on his ass for six months. I really hope KW is all over this one. I'd feel a lot better giving Leslie reps over Mark Kotsay.

Leslie put up huge numbers last year, and consistently has a high average and a high OBP. "In 2008-2009, Anderson batted .381/.490/.572. He finished 5th in the batting race behind Michel Enríquez, Yulieski Gourriel, Yorelvis Charles and Giorvis Duvergel. He also won a Gold Glove at first base. He left Cuba following that season."http://www.baseball-reference.com/bullpen/Leslie_Anderson

QUOTE (Jenks Heat @ Jan 29, 2010 -> 12:37 PM)
Why do cubans seem to have really odd names or really simple one?

I would guess it's because the US and the USSR have both had major influence over Cuba at different times in Cuba's history (EG a Russian name like Alexei and an English name like Leslie).

Edit: I guess Dayan is a Hebrew name. A variant of Daniel. I got nothin' on that one.

Edited by JorgeFabregas

QUOTE (Jerksticks @ Jan 29, 2010 -> 02:06 PM)
Yuniesky sounds super Russian; is that dude from Cuba?

Yes and he's probably the most talented cuban of them all. That guy is really special and I hope someday he defects.

Edited by SoxAce

QUOTE (Thunderbolt @ Jan 29, 2010 -> 12:01 PM)
Leslie put up huge numbers last year, and consistently has a high average and a high OBP. "In 2008-2009, Anderson batted .381/.490/.572. He finished 5th in the batting race behind Michel Enríquez, Yulieski Gourriel, Yorelvis Charles and Giorvis Duvergel. He also won a Gold Glove at first base. He left Cuba following that season."http://www.baseball-reference.com/bullpen/Leslie_Anderson

Vladimir Guerrero's name also was derived from the Russian presence in the Caribbean/Cuba in the 60's and 70's.

QUOTE (MattZakrowski @ Jan 30, 2010 -> 08:41 AM)
1B/CF? Weird combination, but I want the guy.

Not as weird as you'd think. It technically fits Nick Swisher, and guys like Darin Erstad and Mark Kotsay do it pretty easily, although players usually do it when they can't stay healthy playing the outfield but have no problem on the infield but are left handed.

My boy Anderson from my hometown team is listening to offers. He apllied for OFAC papers. That is the last burden Cuban have to face. I am not sure he will make it on time for ST though. He may have to go to the minors and wait for an opportunity later in the year.

• 2 weeks later...