Tigers Sign Damon - 1 yr, 8 mil; NTC

chetkincaid

The rotating pile of crap at DH is 100 percent on KW as far as I'm concerned. The GM's job is to give his manager the best players to win, and the manager's job is to manage them properly and to as many wins as possible. Ozzie can suggest some crazy idea like that, but it's KW's job to overrule him and bring in a competent DH.

• Replies 2.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Feb 21, 2010 -> 02:58 PM)
What about what scouts say about his decline? I just received my BP yesterday. Here's their little write up on Rios:

As surprising as the Jake Peavy trade was, Kenny Williams' claiming Rios in August wins the award for the most shocking transaction of 2009. With Williams hoping the talented outfielder simply needed a change of scenery to get things going again, Rios responded by not even getting his batting average above the Mendoza line, and the club is stuck with him for six more years at a cost of more than $80 million. (I believe they are off $20 million but it may be an option) Rios is young enought to figure things out again, but he most galling aspect of his performance might not be the stat line; it's the gaggle of scouts who see a player who just doesn't give a damn.

I don't know if that really is true or not. Not the scouts feelings, I know that is true, but whether he really does give a damn. One other thing I heard on MLB Network about Rios with the White Sox in 2009, in 150+ plate appearances, he only hit 12 balls hard in play.

Pecota has him at 34 2B 4 3B 20 homers .274 AVG. 339 OBP

I gotta tell you that I would not really question the majority opinion of a collection of MLB scouts when it came to observing talent and tools. However, without having any real interaction with the players and without being in a clubhouse on daily basis -- as scouts usually work for more than just one team -- I don't think they can really know for sure whether a guy cares or not. I'm not sold on that.

QUOTE (iamshack @ Feb 21, 2010 -> 03:05 PM)
Jake Peavy just came out and stated that he wanted Johnny Damon on his team because he is a winner.

My guess is if Kenny went to Jake and asked him to defer $2-3 million from his salary this year over the next three years, he would have been cool with it.

Obviously you can sit here and argue against it because it is unknown.

But the guy comes out in the press and says he wanted the player, well, then my guess is he would put his money where his mouth is.

This is just simply not a real-world scenario, shack. You have to know this. The ONLY way something like this works is if Peavy or someone else volunteers this.

It's not up to a GM to start asking his players who would be willing to talk about a contract re-negotiation so another player can get signed. For starters, who do you ask first? Second, do you have any idea how difficult it is to sometimes get ahold of your own players during an offseason? A lot of times, these guys disappear until it's time to report. And they often don't return phone calls right away (even to their own agents), which leads me to: Third, do you realize how long the renegotiation alone can take? It can take weeks. Does it really sound feasible to get a renogotiation with one player done while negotiating with another player at the same time, knowing that one negotiation depends on the other? Not to mention you'd have to get it all done within a couple of days.

I'm sorry, but this just wouldn't happen. It's not realistic.

Didn't Buehrle offer to give up some of his salary so they could keep Juan Uribe after 2008?

I read something like that...probably just a show of support for how much he meant to the infield defense, the World Series championship and how well liked he was in the clubhouse. You almost never saw Juanie NOT looking like he was having a great time or sulking in the dugout.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Feb 22, 2010 -> 10:09 AM)
I wish I had a dollar for every time a Williams trade was described that way. I'd buy the Sox myself.

... and as the owner of the Sox, you'd throw-up in your mouth everytime you had to cut a check to pay Rios's salary ...

QUOTE (kitekrazy @ Feb 22, 2010 -> 11:37 AM)
I'm glad that Sox didn't fork over that kind of money for an aging ballplayer that everyone will blame Greg Walker when age catches with a player. He night not be as good because he isn't surrounded by all that talent like he had in New York.

You do realize that this aging player would have replaced a platoon of two aging players at the DH, right? And that this aging players has been putting up consistently great numbers even in great lineups, while Jones crapped out in a great lineup for the Rangers, and Kotsay was never up to snuff for the Red Sox?

QUOTE (Thunderbolt @ Feb 22, 2010 -> 10:41 AM)
You do realize that this aging player would have replaced a platoon of two aging players at the DH, right? And that this aging players has been putting up consistently great numbers even in great lineups, while Jones crapped out in a great lineup for the Rangers, and Kotsay was never up to snuff for the Red Sox?

Oh I know. There is a trend here that I thought was only possible by Jim Hendry and Al Davis.

QUOTE (Ranger @ Feb 22, 2010 -> 02:25 AM)
This is just simply not a real-world scenario, shack. You have to know this. The ONLY way something like this works is if Peavy or someone else volunteers this.

It's not up to a GM to start asking his players who would be willing to talk about a contract re-negotiation so another player can get signed. For starters, who do you ask first? Second, do you have any idea how difficult it is to sometimes get ahold of your own players during an offseason? A lot of times, these guys disappear until it's time to report. And they often don't return phone calls right away (even to their own agents), which leads me to: Third, do you realize how long the renegotiation alone can take? It can take weeks. Does it really sound feasible to get a renogotiation with one player done while negotiating with another player at the same time, knowing that one negotiation depends on the other? Not to mention you'd have to get it all done within a couple of days.

This is pure nonsense. Every player has cell phones, Mr. Rongey. Kenny calls our players all the time. Especially the ones based in America.

Secondly, we're not talking about a re-negotiation of the entire contract. It's changing the terms of compensation very slightly. It's an addendum being added to the contract that might take 30 minutes maximum to draft. Trust me, it would take no time at all, and it could have been done over the course of the negotiations late last week.

Finally, Kenny takes a very aggressive approach with his veterans. He involves them in the direction of the team all the time (just ask DA). He certainly could have approached Jake or Paulie or any number of guys, even at the same time, and given them the low-down. It's really not very unrealistic at all. You're acting as if he would have been asking them to give up their first-born or something.

QUOTE (Ranger @ Feb 22, 2010 -> 02:25 AM)
I gotta tell you that I would not really question the majority opinion of a collection of MLB scouts when it came to observing talent and tools. However, without having any real interaction with the players and without being in a clubhouse on daily basis -- as scouts usually work for more than just one team -- I don't think they can really know for sure whether a guy cares or not. I'm not sold on that.

Not to mention the Union would be involved as well.

This is pure nonsense. Every player has cell phones, Mr. Rongey. Kenny calls our players all the time. Especially the ones based in America.

Don't get on Rongey or he like many media members might tire of this site and go elsewhere. If he gives us an inside comment like that, why not, uh ... believe him.

Asking players to defer money or give up money to get others is ridiculous, stupid and doesn't happen. These guys can say whatever they want. They don't give up money or have money deferred til later to acquire Johnny Damons. Get real. Damon has enough money and they know that; and then there's always somebody else to acquire at a later date and they know that guy needs money too.

As far as Rios, every time I read something about how he doesn't care and how he hit 12 balls hard all year with the Sox scares me more.

If he doesn't give a s***, we'll see it soon enough this year. He's starting 0-for-0, fresh. No excuses. He puts up or shuts up. We shall find out soon enough.

Edited by greg775

QUOTE (greg775 @ Feb 22, 2010 -> 02:35 PM)
Don't get on Rongey or he like many media members might tire of this site and go elsewhere. If he gives us an inside comment like that, why not, uh ... believe him.

Asking players to defer money or give up money to get others is ridiculous, stupid and doesn't happen. These guys can say whatever they want. They don't give up money or have money deferred til later to acquire Johnny Damons. Get real. Damon has enough money and they know that; and then there's always somebody else to acquire at a later date and they know that guy needs money too.

As far as Rios, every time I read something about how he doesn't care and how he hit 12 balls hard all year with the Sox scares me more.

If he doesn't give a s***, we'll see it soon enough this year. He's starting 0-for-0, fresh. No excuses. He puts up or shuts up. We shall find out soon enough.

I agree. Rios should hit 1.000 through the end of may or he should be outright cut from the team

QUOTE (greg775 @ Feb 22, 2010 -> 03:35 PM)

You know what, Greg, you're right. I should have consulted you first before posting.

My bad.

I agree. Rios should hit 1.000 through the end of may or he should be outright cut from the team

What's your problem? You got the Monday blues? I never said he has to hit .400 the first month. The guy needs to produce at the money he's making, not be a Brian Anderson, all D and no offense. Rios is easy to hate. He needs to change it and fast.

QUOTE (bmags @ Feb 22, 2010 -> 04:22 PM)
Have we considered befriending an adolescent boy whose father told him he would return if the white sox won the pennant to be some sort of club house consultant? It may yield some benefits.

Can the boy in question add any defensive versatility to the DH position?

Edited by Thunderbolt