Official 2010-11 NFL Thread

knightni

QUOTE (nitetrain8601 @ Apr 8, 2010 -> 11:24 AM)
Well Haynesworth was going to be a disaster, but at the same time, signing him was the right move. They got him in his prime, he was a beast of a DT, and the Redskins needed to concentrate greatly on defense. It just didn't work out. Probably because he had a terrible attitude, is a team cancer, and is lazy.

Your last sentence pretty much sums up why you shouldn't give out big money free agent contracts unless you know the player is going to work just as hard as they did before they got the contract.

I think Haynesworth will end up back with the Titans actually. They get him, they're back to being a contender IMO.

• Replies 6.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

QUOTE (DBAHO @ Apr 8, 2010 -> 09:05 AM)
Your last sentence pretty much sums up why you shouldn't give out big money free agent contracts unless you know the player is going to work just as hard as they did before they got the contract.

I think Haynesworth will end up back with the Titans actually. They get him, they're back to being a contender IMO.

Sentence 1...what does that say about one Julius Peppers?

Sentence 2...I wouldn't be surprised if it happened, but I also wouldn't be surprised if he was back to being a disaster there too. I also wouldn't be surprised if some other team stepped in.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Apr 8, 2010 -> 11:06 PM)

Sentence 2...I wouldn't be surprised if it happened, but I also wouldn't be surprised if he was back to being a disaster there too. I also wouldn't be surprised if some other team stepped in.

We'll have to wait and see on Peppers. The Bears are rolling the dice obviously.

Maybe the Lions try to get in on Haynesworth as well with Jim Schwartz there.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Apr 8, 2010 -> 06:06 AM)

The thing is, Peppers is well liked by his teammates and coaches. His reputation to take plays off only comes from the fact that he isn't always as dominant as people think he should be because of the ridiciulous athletism he possesses. His teammates and coaches seem to think it has more to do with the fact that he's consistently double-teamed. Yet he still puts up very good numbers.

Now I happen to think Peppers probably does slack off from time to time, this isn't a guy that was just waiting for a pay check. He turned down big money multi year deals in the past and went with short term deals. He doesn't have attitude issues and is a hard worker.

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Apr 8, 2010 -> 10:02 AM)
Now I happen to think Peppers probably does slack off from time to time, this isn't a guy that was just waiting for a pay check. He turned down big money multi year deals in the past and went with short term deals. He doesn't have attitude issues and is a hard worker.

Are you talking about when he played for the franchise tag? I got the impression he was really working to try to get to FA for that big score he just got.

Edit: BTW, I should point out I still think signing peppers was 100% the right move for the Bears. I just brought him up there because the description may apply.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Apr 8, 2010 -> 07:03 AM)
Are you talking about when he played for the franchise tag? I got the impression he was really working to try to get to FA for that big score he just got.

Edit: BTW, I should point out I still think signing peppers was 100% the right move for the Bears. I just brought him up there because the description may apply.

During the time of the franchise tag and prior to that he had big money offers. One of those offers came after his one season where he put up very poor sack numbers and I had read where he didn't feel he had earned a big multi-year contract. Now I'm sure some of that was spin by Peppers agent, but the guy turned down HUGE HUGE money in the past which has to tell you flat out that it wasn't entirely about the money (it still is 99% about the money and it is for pretty much every profesisonal athlete).

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Apr 9, 2010 -> 12:02 AM)
The thing is, Peppers is well liked by his teammates and coaches. His reputation to take plays off only comes from the fact that he isn't always as dominant as people think he should be because of the ridiciulous athletism he possesses. His teammates and coaches seem to think it has more to do with the fact that he's consistently double-teamed. Yet he still puts up very good numbers.

I think that's more so he was that desperate to get out of Carolina. He really wanted to play OLB in a 3-4 system for a while, but he won't obviously get that opportunity in Chicago.

QUOTE (DBAHO @ Apr 8, 2010 -> 08:15 AM)
I think that's more so he was that desperate to get out of Carolina. He really wanted to play OLB in a 3-4 system for a while, but he won't obviously get that opportunity in Chicago.

This actually happened when he was still in a 4-3 set-up and happy in Carolina. And Peppers 2 sack season (2007) also happened in a 4-3 defense, not with the 3-4. I believe it was lsat season when they made the switch to the 3-4, but someone can correct me if I'm wrong.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Apr 8, 2010 -> 07:57 AM)
You act like the Skins couldn't have known about any of those latter issues beforehand.

Well there was no way to know he was that lazy. And again, he was by far the best guy on the market. They went for the gamble because of the huge payoff and they lost.

QUOTE (DBAHO @ Apr 8, 2010 -> 08:05 AM)

I think he ends up staying with the Redskins for this year. Eventually he will get cut, Jim Schwartz will be on his way out with the Lions and he will resign with the Titans.

QUOTE (nitetrain8601 @ Apr 5, 2010 -> 06:52 PM)
Marc Bulger released from the Rams. Do the Bears dare to go after him?

I hope this means the Rams go the QB route with the second pick. I'd love for the Bucs to take McCoy from Oklahoma with the third pick. He'd be my number 1 pick and to get him at 3 would be awesome.

Stating the obvious here, but Tampa will get one of those two DT's assuming Bradford is drafted by the Rams. I don't think that's necessarily a given, but I think it's a pretty safe assessment. They absolutely need a QB, and I don't know that you want to gamble whether or not Colt McCoy will be there at 33 (I think he will be, but the Vikings are a team that could look to draft him with intentions of having him start next year, and in the meantime, their only huge need is in the secondary) and I'm not sure they are in a position to draft a project like Tebow, Fordham, or Snead.

I also don't know that McCoy will be there for the Bucs at 3. I have seen both Suh and McCoy going to Detroit at 2, and it's not completely out of the realm of possibility that they take Okung there either.

Whatever. Can't wait for draft weekend. I love watching the "first" day of coverage.

QUOTE (nitetrain8601 @ Apr 8, 2010 -> 01:46 PM)
Well there was no way to know he was that lazy. And again, he was by far the best guy on the market. They went for the gamble because of the huge payoff and they lost.

yes there was. It was a well known fact that he took plays off, and got by purely because he was such an amazing talent. The Redskins front office was well known to gloss over details like that.

QUOTE (SockMe @ Apr 8, 2010 -> 05:50 PM)
Packers picking 23rd in the draft, hope they get Arrelious, Tebow or Spiller!

Tebow would be a mistake. Arrelious would not be, but they really don't need another WR as much as they need a RB or OT.

Edited by nitetrain8601

QUOTE (DBAHO @ Apr 8, 2010 -> 07:10 AM)
We'll have to wait and see on Peppers. The Bears are rolling the dice obviously

They are, but the Bears (for once) were very smart in negotiating his contract. Unlike Haynesworth, Peppers can be a one year thing, and if it doesn't work out, the Bears don't owe him s*** beyond this season if he gets cut. Obviously though, he'll be gettin paid alot of dough this season.

QUOTE (SockMe @ Apr 8, 2010 -> 04:50 PM)
Packers picking 23rd in the draft, hope they get Arrelious, Tebow or Spiller!

Ugh.. I love Benn. I do not want to end up hating that guy if he's a Packer. I hate Tebow (not to mention he should not be a 1st round pick for anyone), so I'll gladly see him go there. :D

QUOTE (nitetrain8601 @ Apr 8, 2010 -> 06:31 PM)
Tebow would be a mistake. Arrelious would not be, but they really don't need another WR as much as they need a RB or OT.

they didn't need Jordy Nelson and he has been excellent for them.

My Mock Draft

1. Rams: Sam Bradford

2. Lions: Ndamukong Suh

3. Buccaneers: Gerald McCoy

4. Redskins: Eric Berry

5. Chiefs: Trent Williams

6. Seahawks: Russell Okung

7. Browns: Jimmy Clausen

8. Raiders: Bryan Bulaga

9. Bills: Bruce Campbell

10. Jaguars: Tim Tebow

11. Broncos: Dan WIlliams

12. Dolphins: Everson Griffin

13. 49ers: Joe Haden

14. Seahawks: Dez Bryant

15. Giants: Derek Morgan

16. Titans: Carlos Dunlap

17. 49ers: CJ Spiller

18. Steelers: Rolando McClain

19. Falcons: Sean Weatherspoon

20. Texans: Ryan Matthews

21. Bengals: Jermaine Gresham

22. Patriots: Jared Odrick

23. Packers: Taylor Mays

24. Eagles: Earl Thomas

25. Ravens: Kyle Wilson

26. Cardinals: Anthony Davis

27. Cowboys: Mike Iupati

28. Chargers: Jahvid Best

29. Jets: Sergio Kindle

30. Vikings: Colt McCoy

31. Colts: Brian Price

32. Saints: Terrence Cody

QUOTE (SockMe @ Apr 10, 2010 -> 10:56 PM)
My Mock Draft

1. Rams: Sam Bradford

2. Lions: Ndamukong Suh

3. Buccaneers: Gerald McCoy

4. Redskins: Eric Berry

5. Chiefs: Trent Williams

6. Seahawks: Russell Okung

7. Browns: Jimmy Clausen

8. Raiders: Bryan Bulaga

9. Bills: Bruce Campbell

10. Jaguars: Tim Tebow

11. Broncos: Dan WIlliams

12. Dolphins: Everson Griffin

13. 49ers: Joe Haden

14. Seahawks: Dez Bryant

15. Giants: Derek Morgan

16. Titans: Carlos Dunlap

17. 49ers: CJ Spiller

18. Steelers: Rolando McClain

19. Falcons: Sean Weatherspoon

20. Texans: Ryan Matthews

21. Bengals: Jermaine Gresham

22. Patriots: Jared Odrick

23. Packers: Taylor Mays

24. Eagles: Earl Thomas

25. Ravens: Kyle Wilson

26. Cardinals: Anthony Davis

27. Cowboys: Mike Iupati

28. Chargers: Jahvid Best

29. Jets: Sergio Kindle

30. Vikings: Colt McCoy

31. Colts: Brian Price

32. Saints: Terrence Cody

I would be very upset if Miami passes on Dez Bryant..

Also, the Texans need secondary help more than anything, and I would be shocked if they passed on Earl Thomas if he was still there when they pick..