Official 2010-11 NFL Thread

knightni

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Jan 29, 2011 -> 11:05 PM)
I'd thought about what I said earlier and kind of figured that to be the case. Mike Williams, the OT the Bills drafted in the early 2000s, quit playing for a while and then had an itch to come back, and when he did he was at like 400 pounds. Unless you are like 7'5 (which is an unhealthy height even though nothing can be done about that), 400 pounds is not good.

At this point in time, the desire for hits and success is greater than the desire to prevent health problems, and quite frankly it's similar to the gladiator games during the Roman era. Sure, they aren't LITERALLY fighting lions and elephants and bears and whatever else, and people aren't being killed, so we have become civilized in that regards, but the fact of the matter is, people are being subjected to extremely violent actions for the sake of entertainment.

Absolutely. It will be interesting to see whether the American public chooses to demand increased safety and health guildelines, or if everyone continues to look the other way while this stuff is swept under the rug.

• Replies 6.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

QUOTE (iamshack @ Jan 30, 2011 -> 12:10 AM)
Absolutely. It will be interesting to see whether the American public chooses to demand increased safety and health guildelines, or if everyone continues to look the other way while this stuff is swept under the rug.

There's always going to be one selection of the American people that thinks any efforts to improve safety is "pussification" of the league. That will probably keep things somewhat balanced.

The thing that may really force changes is that the players are realizing pretty quickly that the last generation isn't doing so well, and they've got a negotiation opportunity right now.

QUOTE (iamshack @ Jan 30, 2011 -> 06:10 AM)

Judging by the Cutler episode I'm guessing no.

QUOTE (Steve9347 @ Jan 31, 2011 -> 07:33 PM)
This is dumb.

Dude missed two games and most of two others.

I accidentally posted this in Super Bowl thread. No way he should of won over Matthews.

QUOTE (Brian @ Jan 31, 2011 -> 07:39 PM)
I accidentally posted this in Super Bowl thread. No way he should of won over Matthews.

Their stats are very close. The Steelers have the worst secondary in the NFL without Troy. The difference he makes in games is tremendous. He is the greatest NFL player I have ever had the joy of watching.

QUOTE (Rowand44 @ Jan 31, 2011 -> 08:17 PM)
Troy is the defensive MVP not the player of the year imo, if that makes sense.

I agree 100%. That defense is so much worse without him, he could be considered for MVP on both sides of the ball. But his stats definitely don't warrant player of the year award, especially not with the time he missed.

Santana Moss to become a free agent next week after his contract voids.

I would love for the Bucs to make a run after him. I know spending money on defense should be our first priority but I do want to see one more playmaker on offense. I think Benn can be a good number 2 WR but that is still a year or two away from happening, especially after the knee injury. An offense with with Freeman/Mike Williams/Moss/Winslow would probably make us a top third NFC offense.

I think he would be a good fit in Chicago too but I would hope he'd want to come back to Florida to finish out his career.

QUOTE (zenryan @ Feb 6, 2011 -> 11:05 AM)
Santana Moss to become a free agent next week after his contract voids.

I would love for the Bucs to make a run after him. I know spending money on defense should be our first priority but I do want to see one more playmaker on offense. I think Benn can be a good number 2 WR but that is still a year or two away from happening, especially after the knee injury. An offense with with Freeman/Mike Williams/Moss/Winslow would probably make us a top third NFC offense.

I think he would be a good fit in Chicago too but I would hope he'd want to come back to Florida to finish out his career.

Benn always seems to be injured, I wouldn't count on him to stay healthy for a full season, especially if his team is out of contention.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Feb 6, 2011 -> 12:15 PM)
The fact that Andre Reed is not yet in the HOF continues to be BS.

The fact that Tim Brown and Cris Carter didn't get in on their first try is also BS. They were both top 5 in major receiving categories when they retired. Both were better numbers wise than Michael Irvin, but they didn't win a Super Bowl so they get shafted. They have since been passed by the likes of Terrell Owens, Randy Moss, Isaac Bruce, and Marvin Harrison.

Edited by Elgin Slim