2010 Chicago White Sox Spring Training

justBLAZE

• Replies 834
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Quinarvy @ Feb 27, 2010 -> 01:46 PM)
http://www.suntimes.com/sports/baseball/wh...T-sox27.article

JD's confused about his lack of jobs.

One place offered him everyday RF, Toronto.

Look, JD. You have to become a DH or take less money, thats it.

Dye screwed up when he didn't jump on the Texas offer before Vlad did.

QUOTE (JoeCoolMan24 @ Feb 28, 2010 -> 02:43 AM)
I hope some vet will not go down, but either way, i would like Jermaine on this team. I would feel MUCH more comfortable with a lineup including Jermaine Dye than a lineup without him.

Jermaine Dye really adds nothing to this team right now. If he's better than Jones with the bat (which, after the 2nd half of last year, I'm not sure), he's much worse with the glove and he'd move Kotsay or Pierre to the backup CF spot, which is just, ugh.

The only 2 things that would fit on this team are a backup IF better than Nix or a LH power bat. If you can't find either of those, then there's nothing that catches my fancy.

From Levine:

Shortstop Alexei Ramirez was one player to report to camp underweight. He said he lost five pounds during the winter.

How does Alexei lose weight? I was really hoping the Sox put him on a strength program. If he's not getting stronger physically, I would guess he is what he will be offensively.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Feb 28, 2010 -> 07:45 AM)
Jermaine Dye really adds nothing to this team right now. If he's better than Jones with the bat (which, after the 2nd half of last year, I'm not sure),

While we bury JD for his bad second half last year as ample proof he's total worthless, take a look at Andruw Jones' 2008 season and look at his stellar .185 average the second half of 2009. If he's primed for a comeback, JD is a possible MVP candidate.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Feb 28, 2010 -> 08:50 AM)
While we bury JD for his bad second half last year as ample proof he's total worthless, take a look at Andruw Jones' 2008 season and look at his stellar .185 average the second half of 2009. If he's primed for a comeback, JD is a possible MVP candidate.

I hear ya on that, but look at the defensive side. JD would be worth something to this team if it had a solid LH hitting backup OF who could play some defense. Damon and JD instead of Jones and Kotsay would have been a solid, if much more expensive construction.

I come not to bury JD's bat, only to bury JD's defense.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Feb 28, 2010 -> 07:52 AM)
I hear ya on that, but look at the defensive side. JD would be worth something to this team if it had a solid LH hitting backup OF who could play some defense. Damon and JD instead of Jones and Kotsay would have been a solid, if much more expensive construction.

I come not to bury JD's bat, only to bury JD's defense.

Unfortunately, the White Sox waited a year or two too long to bury his defense. I still think he would be a tremendous DH if he would accept the fact he has no business playing the OF.

That Dye story in the Sun Times basically quotes Jermaine as saying he expects to be paid the same as he was in his prime and he wants to be guaranteed a starting job in the outfield as he was in his prime. He wants the job given to him. He doesn't want to have to compete for it (though I'm sure he'd work hard as he ever has if a job was handed to him, I won't doubt that).

Interesting dilemma if that's the right word.

He won't adjust at all to the marketplace and won't adjust his mindset to competing for a job (hell if he hit the s*** out of the ball he could have forced Anaheim or Toronto to give him all the bats he wants) so he's out of a job.

I guess it's all in Jermaine's court, if it's not too late.

He won't be joining a team on his terms.

If he'd have settled for 3 mill a year like the Cubs offered, he'd have had a job a long time ago and then he could have tried to beat out the other Scrub outfielders. But his mindset from reading the article is that he shouldn't have to beat anybody out.

Jermaine needs a good talking to or he's done at 36. Times change, Jermaine. Don't be the stereotypical spoiled jock.

Edited by greg775

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Feb 28, 2010 -> 07:45 AM)
From Levine:

Shortstop Alexei Ramirez was one player to report to camp underweight. He said he lost five pounds during the winter.

How does Alexei lose weight? I was really hoping the Sox put him on a strength program. If he's not getting stronger physically, I would guess he is what he will be offensively.

Well, when you're invisible, you can steal a lot of bases.

Not sure if this was posted earlier... if so, sorry for the repeat...

Gavin Floyd, Daniel Cabrera, Carlos Torres and Daniel Hudson are scheduled to pitch two innings apiece against the Dodgers in Tuesday's "B" game