Tuesday's B-game

scenario

Mitchell, Viciedo, Jordan Danks to start in Tuesday's B-game

The White Sox's lineup for Tuesday's B game against the Los Angeles Dodgers has yet to be posted, but it's certain that many of their top prospects will be in the starting lineup.

Jared Mitchell, the Sox's first pick in the 2009 draft, will lead off. Mitchell has been mentored this spring by Juan Pierre.

Dayan Viciedo will start at first base after playing last season at third at Double-A Birmingham. First base is Viciedo's projected position in the majors. Jordan Danks, who looks taller than his listed 6-foot-4 height, also will start in the outfield.

Here is the Sox's lineup:

Mitchell lf

Danks cf

Flowers c

Viciedo 1b

Kroeger dh

Nix 2b

Lillibridge ss

Morel 3b

De Aza rf

Floyd p

• Replies 125
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

From the Suntimes...

Daniel Cabrera will get his first serious look this afternoon, when the Sox play the Los Angeles Dodgers in a ''B'' Game. It also will let them know if pitching coach Don Cooper has been able to get through to the once-promising right-hander.

''Cabrera is not a pitcher; Cabrera is a thrower,'' Guillen said. ''We're going to use him out of the bullpen and give him a very, very good opportunity to make this ballclub. Hopefully he knows that, and hopefully he comes out and does what he can do. The biggest thing for him is throwing strikes. It's a big difference between being a starter and a reliever, and for him, being a reliever gives him a better shot to make the ballclub.''

Cabrera is scheduled to throw two innings.

QUOTE (scenario @ Mar 2, 2010 -> 10:03 AM)
From the Suntimes...

Daniel Cabrera will get his first serious look this afternoon, when the Sox play the Los Angeles Dodgers in a ''B'' Game. It also will let them know if pitching coach Don Cooper has been able to get through to the once-promising right-hander.

''Cabrera is not a pitcher; Cabrera is a thrower,'' Guillen said. ''We're going to use him out of the bullpen and give him a very, very good opportunity to make this ballclub. Hopefully he knows that, and hopefully he comes out and does what he can do. The biggest thing for him is throwing strikes. It's a big difference between being a starter and a reliever, and for him, being a reliever gives him a better shot to make the ballclub.''

Cabrera is scheduled to throw two innings.

I am interested to see if Coop can get through to Cabrera and make him more than just a thrower. He has done a great job with other reclamation projects and at least this one isn't as dire as Floyd was when he was on his last option.

QUOTE (BFirebird @ Mar 2, 2010 -> 04:29 PM)
I am interested to see if Coop can get through to Cabrera and make him more than just a thrower. He has done a great job with other reclamation projects and at least this one isn't as dire as Floyd was when he was on his last option.

I have to disagree with you that he has done a great job with other reclamation projects. I think he has had more failures than successes.

Successes:

Thornton

Failures:

Linebrink

Jenks (keeps regressing)

Aardsma

Sisco

Cotts

MacDougal

Masset

Polite

Contreras

I'm not blaming him for the failures as much as showing you that his ability to "fix" people is overblown.

Seriously? Cotts, Jenks, Polite, and Contreras had arguably their greatest years of their career with Cooper.

QUOTE (striker @ Mar 2, 2010 -> 11:36 AM)
I have to disagree with you that he has done a great job with other reclamation projects. I think he has had more failures than successes.

Successes:

Thornton

Failures:

Linebrink

Jenks (keeps regressing)

Aardsma

Sisco

Cotts

MacDougal

Masset

Polite

Contreras

I'm not blaming him for the failures as much as showing you that his ability to "fix" people is overblown.

QUOTE (striker @ Mar 2, 2010 -> 12:36 PM)

Successes:

Thornton

Failures:

Linebrink

Jenks (keeps regressing)

Aardsma

Sisco

Cotts

MacDougal

Masset

Polite

Contreras

I don't think you get to count Jenks and Cotts and Contreras (and Politte) as "failures". You've got to put Jenks and Contreras on the other side, and just leave Cotts and Politte off entirely. Contreras never had a season approaching what he had under Coop when he was with the Yankees.

That said, I do agree with your overall point. Coop is not magic.

QUOTE (striker @ Mar 2, 2010 -> 11:36 AM)

Successes:

Thornton

Failures:

Linebrink

Jenks (keeps regressing)

Aardsma

Sisco

Cotts

MacDougal

Masset

Polite

Contreras

Is your list of "failures" supposed to be taken seriously?

QUOTE (striker @ Mar 2, 2010 -> 10:36 AM)

Successes:

Thornton

Failures:

Linebrink

Jenks (keeps regressing)

Aardsma

Sisco

Cotts

MacDougal

Masset

Polite

Contreras

He turned Contreras into a freaking Cy Young winner for one full year, basically.

How in the world can you say that he failed Contreras, Cotts, and Jenks? That's one of the strangest things I've ever seen on this board. The two biggest misses I would say have been Aardsma and Masset, but I would say what he's done with Thornton, Floyd, Contreras, and Jenks overshadow that.

are you insane?

Successes:

Thornton

Hermanson

Floyd

Contreras (s*** before coop)

Loaiza (s*** before AND after coop)

Jenks (s*** before coop)

how can you say he wasn't successful with those last three??

QUOTE (Reddy @ Mar 2, 2010 -> 10:44 AM)
are you insane?

Successes:

Thornton

Hermanson

Floyd

Jenks (s*** before coop)

Thank you.

The original failure list is garbage. I think Nardi Contreras wrote that out of jealousy.

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ Mar 2, 2010 -> 12:14 PM)
4 of the names on that failure list were the #1 starter and the top 3 relievers on a World Series Champion. LOL

More of Striker's Coop failure list:

Sandy Koufax

Nolan Ryan

Iran's nuclear program

The McDonald's Restaurant franchise

Brett Prinz

Edited by Thunderbolt

QUOTE (Thunderbolt @ Mar 2, 2010 -> 11:18 AM)
More of Striker's Coop failure list:

Sandy Koufax

Nolan Ryan

Iran's nuclear program

The McDonald's Restaurant franchise

Brett Prinz

However, he succeeded with Iraq's Minister of Information

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ Mar 2, 2010 -> 12:23 PM)
However, he succeeded with Iraq's Minister of Information

Frankly, striker's very ambiguous as to just what kind of factor Don Cooper's had in Iran, but he's not willing to write it off at the present. I think he's taking a wait-and-see five years down the line, same with John Danks, see if that guy ever revives his career.

Edited by Thunderbolt

QUOTE (ScottyDo @ Mar 2, 2010 -> 04:42 PM)
I don't think you get to count Jenks and Cotts and Contreras (and Politte) as "failures". You've got to put Jenks and Contreras on the other side, and just leave Cotts and Politte off entirely. Contreras never had a season approaching what he had under Coop when he was with the Yankees.

That said, I do agree with your overall point. Coop is not magic.

I counted them as failures because of how they fell apart. The word "failures" probably isn't the best word to use in this case, but they certainly did not maintain their success.

QUOTE (Reddy @ Mar 2, 2010 -> 04:44 PM)
are you insane?

Successes:

Thornton

Hermanson

Floyd

Jenks (s*** before coop)

Why does Coop deserve the credit for changing them? They were all crap before Ozzie managed them too. Maybe Ozzie fixed them?

QUOTE (striker @ Mar 2, 2010 -> 12:30 PM)
Why does Coop deserve the credit for changing them? They were all crap before Ozzie managed them too. Maybe Ozzie fixed them?

Ask yourself these questions in this order: Is Ozzie the pitching coach? Isn't it the pitching coaches job to fix pitchers? Were any pitchers made better while under the services of said pitching coach? Who is the pitching coach? If all of these questions have pointed you towards Don Cooper, you may move on in the course.

QUOTE (striker @ Mar 2, 2010 -> 11:27 AM)
Agreed but they all also fell apart, Jenks regressing.

Jenks regressing? To what exactly?

05 2.75 1.25

06 4.00 1.39

07 2.77 0.89

08 2.63 1.10

09 3.71 1.27

Where is the regression?

And who fell apart? The flash in the pans that had career years with Coop as their coach? Contreras's age caught up with him, but was one of the more dominant arms in the bigs when he was healthy with the Sox. Cotts and Polite arent even pitching anymore. Your arguments are terrible and I suggest you give up that opinion.