Growing Concern About Garcia

knightni

Garcia has always been a guy that was focus challenged. Even when he had his good stuff, he would come out in the first inning and throw softer than he did the rest of the game. I want to see if he answers the bell in a week. If he still is hit around in April, then I will worry.

It's nice to actually have a great plan B this year as opposed to last year. It's pretty likely that Dan Hudson's going to finish the year out in the rotation, and i was advocating for him to be in it this year. But i'll never count Freddy out, not after what he showed me last year. Let's give him a half-dozen starts and see how he works out.

hahn's response to being named by BA as the top GM candidate with no previous GM experience is funny:

"That recognition is nice, absolutely," Hahn said. "But let's be frank. It's not like being named that the organization has the No. 1 position player or pitching prospect in the game. I'd probably trade myself for Jayson Heyward or Steven Strasburg in a minute, and I'm guessing [White Sox general manager] Kenny [Williams] would probably drive me to the airport if that was on the table."

QUOTE (False Alarm @ Mar 31, 2010 -> 08:54 PM)
hahn's response to being named by BA as the top GM candidate with no previous GM experience is funny:

Its funny, because it is true. I wish Kenny's kid was better, just so I could see the press conference the day that KW traded him.

I think there has to be concern about Garcia if only for the fact that he really hasn't done anything since 2006. That's a long time. I know a lot of people were thrilled with his performance last September, including me, but face it, a lot of performances you see in September are never repeated. Its not like the Sox are paying him a lot of money. Despite what Oney Guillen thinks, and he knows more about baseball than any of us because he hit almost .140 in rookie ball, there's a good chance Freddy is a bust. I'm pretty sure KW knows the odds as much as anyone. Its probably one big reason Hudson isn't in the bullpen.

Edited by Dick Allen

His first six starts should be:

4-10 vs Min

4-15 at Tor

4-21 vs TB

4-27 at Tex

5-2 at NY

5-7 vs Tor

Then they'll skip the 5th starter, and not need one until 5-18. I'd give him these six starts and if he tanks and Hudson is ok in Charlotte, I think Hudson is up on May 18.

So he had a 1.17 spring ERA on March 17th. Couple of rough outings and it's time to panic? Well I guess we have to pass the time somehow until opening day. Pretty stupid article. Nobody is asking Freddy to relive 2004. He's going to have games where he simply doesn't have it. HE'S OUR 5TH STARTER! Take a look around baseball at other teams' projected 5th starter. All we need is league average, even slightly worse would be acceptable, from Freddy.

QUOTE (Jordan4life @ Mar 31, 2010 -> 09:59 PM)
So he had a 1.17 spring ERA on March 17th. Couple of rough outings and it's time to panic? Well I guess we have to pass the time somehow until opening day. Pretty stupid article. Nobody is asking Freddy to relive 2004. He's going to have games where he simply doesn't have it. HE'S OUR 5TH STARTER! Take a look around baseball at other teams' projected 5th starter. All we need is league average, even slightly worse would be acceptable, from Freddy.

Whatever. If Freddy can give us 5 good innings most of the time, sport an ERA of around 4.30 and win maybe 8-10 games he'll be better than most 5th starters. If he sucks, Dan Hudson would be an excellent

5th starter. In fact, I'm hoping he's the guy sooner rather than later.

No one's panicking.

QUOTE (sircaffey @ Mar 31, 2010 -> 10:07 PM)
No one's panicking.

Especially considering even if he flops during the season, theres a damn good 23 year old waiting in the wings. This isn't like past years when we had no depth at the starters spot. The only thing anyone should be concerned with Freddy (which has been his M.O. for a while) is his tendency to lose focus against the sucky teams.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Mar 31, 2010 -> 09:02 PM)
I think there has to be concern about Garcia if only for the fact that he really hasn't done anything since 2006. That's a long time. I know a lot of people were thrilled with his performance last September, including me, but face it, a lot of performances you see in September are never repeated. Its not like the Sox are paying him a lot of money. Despite what Oney Guillen thinks, and he knows more about baseball than any of us because he hit almost .140 in rookie ball, there's a good chance Freddy is a bust. I'm pretty sure KW knows the odds as much as anyone. Its probably one big reason Hudson isn't in the bullpen.

Calling Jerry Owens and Josh Fields, circa 2007....

So he had a 1.17 spring ERA on March 17th. Couple of rough outings and it's time to panic?

He did better when there were a ton of AA players still playing in spring training. Now that rosters are pretty much set he's getting lit up. So yeah, I'm slightly worried. Our offense isn't good enough to come back from big margins on repeated occasions.

QUOTE (flavum @ Mar 31, 2010 -> 10:19 PM)
Then they'll skip the 5th starter, and not need one until 5-18. I'd give him these six starts and if he tanks and Hudson is ok in Charlotte, I think Hudson is up on May 18.

If they can push it until May 18th...it makes sense to push 2 more starts and shoot for just after June 1st, where you save another year on Hudson's arbitration clock.

He's earned at least a few starts. Lets give him the benefit of the doubt. If we get off to a bad start then there will be more pressure for him to perform. A good start by the team will extend his stay of execution by KW.

QUOTE (Thunderbolt @ Mar 31, 2010 -> 06:50 PM)
It's pretty likely that Dan Hudson's going to finish the year out in the rotation

I agree with this. My feeling is that Freddy's going to either get demoted to long relief or DFA'd by the ASB. That said, I'm wondering how Hudson would hold up down the stretch if he does indeed eventually become the #5. He's only 23 and only threw 147 innings in the minors last year. If there's roster space, keeping Freddy around to spot-start for Hudson in September might be a good idea.

just hope that if Garcia does suck it up, Ozzie doesnt get stubborn with his countryman and family friend, and keep trying to throw him out there with a suitable replacement waiting in the wings.

Freddy does need to suck it up and just pitch like he can and we won't have to discuss this stuff.

QUOTE (greg775 @ Apr 1, 2010 -> 07:22 PM)
Freddy does need to suck it up and just pitch like he can and we won't have to discuss this stuff.

He is quoted as saying he feels strong and the arm is good. He got lit up and is frustrated but he doesn't say he is hurt or anything. As long as he is ready to start the season I am ok with Freddie G