Brian Anderson's future...? Thought this was funny.

caulfield12

Basically, Brian Anderson told a reporter in Tucson (where he went to college) that if he was not going to make the Royals or any other major league club he would make the switch to pitching (he was a highly thought of P in high school and early in his U of A career- throwing 95) But, I have found out that this was more of a gusto reaction at the time of the interview…He is going to stay in the OF and will go to Omaha if needed.

from blog at kcstar.com

The next Sergio Santos or Jason Dellaero/Brooks Kieschnick?

• 4 months later...

From RotoWorld

Brian N. Anderson

Brian Anderson's conversion from outfielder to pitcher has gone well thus far.

The right-hander boasts a 1.46 ERA, 0.81 WHIP and 11/4 K/BB ratio over 12 1/3 innings between Rookie ball, Low-A and Triple-A. He threw two scoreless innings in his first appearance at Triple-A Thursday. "He’s definitely throwing major-league stuff," Royals manager Ned Yost said. "He’s got his fastball up to 97 mph. His comfort zone is at 95. He’s throwing a 50 slider (on a scale of 20 to 80), which is a major-league average slider. His command is at 45, which is just a tick below." GM Dayton Moore said he didn't know if Anderson would be under consideration for a September callup or not.

QUOTE (azsoxfan1 @ Aug 21, 2010 -> 10:29 AM)
From RotoWorld

Brian N. Anderson

The right-hander boasts a 1.46 ERA, 0.81 WHIP and 11/4 K/BB ratio over 12 1/3 innings between Rookie ball, Low-A and Triple-A. He threw two scoreless innings in his first appearance at Triple-A Thursday. "He’s definitely throwing major-league stuff," Royals manager Ned Yost said. "He’s got his fastball up to 97 mph. His comfort zone is at 95. He’s throwing a 50 slider (on a scale of 20 to 80), which is a major-league average slider. His command is at 45, which is just a tick below." GM Dayton Moore said he didn't know if Anderson would be under consideration for a September callup or not.

Holy....s***.

Good for him.

QUOTE (azsoxfan1 @ Aug 21, 2010 -> 10:29 AM)
From RotoWorld

Brian N. Anderson

The right-hander boasts a 1.46 ERA, 0.81 WHIP and 11/4 K/BB ratio over 12 1/3 innings between Rookie ball, Low-A and Triple-A. He threw two scoreless innings in his first appearance at Triple-A Thursday.

QUOTE (JorgeFabregas @ Aug 21, 2010 -> 12:48 PM)
He threw 2 perfect innings the other day at Omaha. No Ks in that outing, though. I've been posting periodic updates in the minor league thread. I had no idea he'd gotten his fastball velocity that high, though.

His success rate must be because he is pitching simulation games against himself. That would account for his stats on the mound, as well as the ones behind the plate.

These quick conversions really fascinate me. What a pitcher does on the field is so different than what position players do. Santos, for instance, supposedly didn't pitch in high school. That's crazy. Most pitchers have to toil for years in the minors to refine their stuff and learn the finer points.

Could you take any athlete with a strong arm and turn them into a relief pitcher in a year or two if they had the mind for it?

Edited by JorgeFabregas

QUOTE (JorgeFabregas @ Aug 25, 2010 -> 09:52 PM)
These quick conversions really fascinate me. What a pitcher does on the field is so different than what position players do. Santos, for instance, supposedly didn't pitch in high school. That's crazy. Most pitchers have to toil for years in the minors to refine their stuff and learn the finer points.

Could you take any athlete with a strong arm and turn them into a relief pitcher in a year or two if they had the mind for it?

It could also help that they dont have years of doing something wrong mechanically. They work with the best baseball coaches right away instead of growing up with bad mechanics.

Quarterback can't risk another concussion? Try him out as a relief pitcher.

Javelin thrower does want to risk stabbing people? Try him out as a relief pitcher.

The only advantage that position players would have on athletes from other sports would be that they have some idea of what hitters are looking for.

Edited by JorgeFabregas

QUOTE (Jordan4life @ Aug 21, 2010 -> 12:19 PM)
I hope he fails. His ineptitude in '06 cost us a playoff appearance.

I thought, like Ozzie, that he was an obnoxious party boy who would've had a better career if he worked as hard as he partied. But how can you wish him failure because he can't hit for s***? I hope he does well for himself.

How is that sad? The White Sox were going to give up on him either way. Mark Kotsay just happened to be involved in the transaction. I'm pretty sure that the Royals have been paying him a major league salary this year because, IIRC, he signed a major-league contract and is on their 40-man.

I'm not too bummed that the White Sox aren't paying him $400,000 to pitch in the minor leagues this year. I still hope he does well and think his story is interesting, though.