HAWKS WIN! HAWKS WIN THE STANLEY CUP!!

• Replies 1.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (smalls2598 @ Jun 10, 2010 -> 03:06 PM)
So I just got off the phone with a fellow employee who works out of the Philadelphia area. Years ago, I found out he's a big Sox fan, so ever since then, whenever we get the chance, we talk sports, and mostly it's the Sox. But the past week we've been talking about the Stanley Cup final (he's a Flyers fan).

He said the local radio stations over there are giving Roenick crap for crying on tv last night. Stuff like "well, he played for both teams, what's his deal?" and "it's not like you were from Chicago".

I found it pretty funny to hear things from the other perspective.

Send your friend an email. This is pretty outstanding.

http://blogs.chicagosports.chicagotribune....ut-it-here.html

Unbelievable. Still can't believe the Hawks won the cup. I wasn't as invested in this team as I was with the Sox, but it's still awesome. I grew up playing hockey and was a huge fan during the late 1990's-early 2000's. Then with games not being on TV and the lockout, I just kind of lost interest not only in the Blackhawks, but in the entire sport. Plus, in my first year at NIU living in the dorms I couldn't watch hardly any games as I didn't get CSN or Versus. But the last couple of years I've started to get back into it, and I have been just crazy for hockey this season with the olympics and the Blackhawks. What a great feeling this is. The thing is, this team should be good for years to come, hopefully we can bring home some more titles. But I'll enjoy this one for now. :headbang :headbang

QUOTE (IlliniKrush @ Jun 10, 2010 -> 10:31 AM)
Then Roenick gets on, says what he says and I absolutely lost it. I was that kid crying at the Stadium in 1992 as he raised his arm and saluted the crowd before heading down the stairs, before I watched Mario skate around with the Cup. That guy did everything he could while in a Blackhawks jersey to bring us a Cup. All you could hope was that someday, that'd be us.

Funny, a few pages ago I asked rhetorically "was that kid watching now" not knowing "that kid" actually posts here... did you mean that literally, that you were the one kid he was talking about?

QUOTE (IlliniKrush @ Jun 10, 2010 -> 01:08 PM)
Did you go to the Sox one?

I did not as I was down at school, but I'm going tomorrow.

What time do you need to be somewhere to be able to see anything? Any tips from any of you veteran parade goers?

Looking forward to watching Kane rap, swear like a sailor, or something equally as ridiculous.

I was at the Sox one, get there real early. I got there 4 hours early I believe and was right in the front and it was well worth it.

Oh ya, I'm going tomorrow as well since I'm going to be right around there anways. Give me a call.

QUOTE (lostfan @ Jun 10, 2010 -> 05:46 PM)
Funny, a few pages ago I asked rhetorically "was that kid watching now" not knowing "that kid" actually posts here... did you mean that literally, that you were the one kid he was talking about?

I thought he was talking in generality, knowing he saw some kids crying as he exited, or imagined that was the case. Wanting to speak to an entire generation of young fans that stuck through.

I was at the end that he left, but I wasn't right by the tunnel. So if he literally meant one kid, it likely wasn't me.

But I took it as general, but no matter which one he meant, it just hit home. Really made me think back and close this whole thing up for me. It was just an emotional moment. Watching JR lose it like that...that was touching. Because to me it was just sheer honesty.

QUOTE (Rowand44 @ Jun 10, 2010 -> 06:13 PM)
I was at the Sox one, get there real early. I got there 4 hours early I believe and was right in the front and it was well worth it.

Oh ya, I'm going tomorrow as well since I'm going to be right around there anways. Give me a call.

You going to be able to find it? Seems like you can only navigate Wrigleyville.

We'll get in touch, my place is walking distance from the starting and rally point.

QUOTE (IlliniKrush @ Jun 10, 2010 -> 06:16 PM)
You going to be able to find it? Seems like you can only navigate Wrigleyville.

We'll get in touch, my place is walking distance from the starting and rally point.

Funny, at least I know I can always entertain you and Steve.

Congrats to all you die hards, very happy for you guys the most, it's been a while and it was something to see. I guess I jumped on the bandwagon about 3 years ago when all the games started to get televised and each year I learn and follow more and more. This year I followed the team 100 percent from day 1. I really did end up falling in love with the Hawks and just hockey in general. It's not a Sox or a Bulls championship for me but it's in a not too distant 3rd which I never thought I'd say a few years back. I'm definitely stoked about the cup being back in Chicago!

QUOTE (dasox24 @ Jun 9, 2010 -> 11:57 PM)
Agreed... While I'm very happy the Hawks won and I've always at least semi-followed the Hawks (see how they're faring, play as them in video games, etc), I would never try to say I'm a legit fan. Not like I am with the Bears, Bulls, and White Sox... So I'm very happy for you true fans. It's been a long time coming and you've put up with a lot over the years.

totally agree, living in Chicago as a kid I was a huge Hawks fan, Bannerman and Savard were my idols but when my family moved to California I sorta stopped following them...I'm glad for all the diehard fans who stuck with them thru thick and thin...CONGRATS!!! :headbang

wooooooo hawks!

just awesome.

does anyone know if they make shot glasses shaped like the stanley cup? i know they'd have to be a bit bigger/taller than your average shot glass, since you'd only be able to drink from the top of it, but if there is such a product, i must have it.

QUOTE (iamshack @ Jun 10, 2010 -> 07:55 AM)
This is so true:

Sun-Times

I honestly believe that if Bill Wirtz was still alive that somehow the 'Hawks wouldn't have won the Cup or have even gotten to the Finals.

Dollar Bill would have penny pinched this roster to death.

QUOTE (smalls2598 @ Jun 10, 2010 -> 04:06 PM)
He said the local radio stations over there are giving Roenick crap for crying on tv last night. Stuff like "well, he played for both teams, what's his deal?" and "it's not like you were from Chicago".

The '92 Finals were Roenick's first Finals and he, Belfour and others were young like Kane and Toews. He came up with the 'Hawks to the Pros and had only been up for maybe 2 years, so it was burned into his memory stronger.

So in order to get your name on the Stanley Cup, you either need to play in 41 regular season games or one Stanley Cup Final game. Cam Barker played in 51 games this year, does he get his name on the cup even though he wasn't on the team anymore? I assume rules for goalies are different, so the Cup should read Cristobal Huet. The Hawks have the first Finnish & French goalies to win the Cup.

I am about 70% sure I'm going to this rally tomorrow with my friends. Gonna meet some girls up there as well and an old high school friend I haven't seen in like 5 years. :)

The other 30% is just pure laziness (not wanting to wake up) from our end. :lol:

Edited by SoxAce

I honestly believe that if Bill Wirtz was still alive that somehow the 'Hawks wouldn't have won the Cup or have even gotten to the Finals.

Dollar Bill would have penny pinched this roster to death.

You are right. They wouldn't have won it, but no sense to kick a dead man. Rest in peace.

Good thing his relatives knew the error of the ol man's ways. He was a dumb cheap man I guess, but I hope he's happy upstairs.

QUOTE (greg775 @ Jun 11, 2010 -> 02:37 AM)
You are right. They wouldn't have won it, but no sense to kick a dead man. Rest in peace.

Good thing his relatives knew the error of the ol man's ways. He was a dumb cheap man I guess, but I hope he's happy upstairs.

I'm not kicking a dead man. I'm responding to Rocky Wirtz's statement.

Bill Wirtz was a bad owner. Rest in peace but thank God for his son.