ESPN BBTN Says Wave the Red Flag

elrockinMT

• Replies 104
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (fathom @ Apr 18, 2010 -> 06:52 PM)
And a shaky 5th starter and an extremely aging bench should be added to the list.

But it's a very flexible bench. We can plug any one of those guys in to the lineup to GIDP or hit a pop foul to the first baseman. From either the left or right side of the plate!

QUOTE (Leonard Zelig @ Apr 18, 2010 -> 07:40 PM)
In1983 the Sox were 12-17, 13-20, 16-24, 25-31. They went on to win 99 games and the AL West by 20 games.

I'm guessing that was also the last time they had a good second half. In the last decade, I can't remember the Sox having a strong 2nd half.

QUOTE (Thunderbolt @ Apr 19, 2010 -> 03:12 AM)
Or it's a white flag stained with the blood of rotating DHs' of yore.

I laughed so hard at this. Could not signify that with the bizarre yellow googly-eyed circle assaulting the green victim with an lol sign.

QUOTE (BigSqwert @ Apr 18, 2010 -> 08:04 PM)
But it's a very flexible bench. We can plug any one of those guys in to the lineup to GIDP or hit a pop foul to the first baseman. From either the left or right side of the plate!

Really though, how many of us were saying this before the beginning of the season? It's not even like we're all jumping off a cliff... a bunch of people said this was going to happen and there wasn't a lot of disagreement.

I'd call going into the season without a DH, a decent 2nd LHP, and a long-man for the pen, fundamentally flawed.

I can't believe 2 of the 3 things you mentioned concerned pitching.

Most of our problems I feel stem from our offense which has to be one of the worst in team history since the start of the DH.

What bugs me is why our organization decided home runs are evil.

If that's all on Oz, I'd agree Oz should be fired. But he's not the f***ing GM. Or the owner, who professes to be a baseball guy. It makes no sense, especially in our ballpark.

The Sox brass got hypnotized by the potential of our starters. Proof of that is the flirtation with Halladay. Didn't KW or somebody imply it'd be the best rotation in the history of mankind if we got Halladay.

Screw the rotation. The lineup is what will keep Comiskey morgue-like much of this season. Barring some Royals-like renaissance of the everyday players. Anybody checked to see the Royals' starters' batting averages? It's like a college team with the high numbers. Everybody's hitting over .300 and Pods is hitting over .400.

Edited by greg775

Trading for veterans is the last thing this team should do.

It's ridiculous for this team to trade for Gonzales.

The team is full of holes everywhere except the bullpen. The starting pitching, while it should be good, is thin; veterann starters are getting old; at some positions, Williams and Guillen have utility-level talent starting (including at DH over 1/2 the time). The bullpen is solid

The team needs young talent and better find a way to get some or it will be a series of long, long long witers on the south side.

Edited by GreenSox

QUOTE (Leonard Zelig @ Apr 18, 2010 -> 06:40 PM)
In1983 the Sox were 12-17, 13-20, 16-24, 25-31. They went on to win 99 games and the AL West by 20 games.

But when you have to look back 26 seasons to see an example of the positive end-result many expected this season compared to the start we have, it's not a bright outlook for our chances. Sure, it's happened. But compare how many times have we had a poor start and never kicked it into gear to the few years where we have actually turned it around. And no, I am not writing this team off at all; I'm just saying that it's tough to fully get behind the idea that in a few games we'll suddenly swing the bats and "oh, our lack of offense in spring training doesn't mean anything" and "our lack of offense in the first 12 games isn't a sign of things to come". I REALLY want to believe this, I do. I just fear that you can't ignore what's happening: we aren't hitting, and this team has not shown that they can consistently produce in the 2 months of baseball they have played, no matter what the level.

QUOTE (GreenSox @ Apr 19, 2010 -> 12:06 AM)
Trading for veterans is the last thing this team should do.

It's ridiculous for this team to trade for Gonzales.

The team is full of holes everywhere except the bullpen. The starting pitching, while it should be good, is thin; veterann starters are getting old; at some positions, Williams and Guillen have utility-level talent starting (including at DH over 1/2 the time). The bullpen is solid

The team needs young talent and better find a way to get some or it will be a series of long, long long witers on the south side.

Gonzalez is 28 years old, not exactly a declining product at this point, he's also one of the better hitters in all of baseball. Bringing him in implies that this organization intends to build towards the future with him as their centerpeice. It's not a move for the sake of a move, it's a move to improve the team.

If Gonzalez would extend past the end of 2011, but what are the odds of that?

5-10%, at best...plus I'm not sure that he would even want to get involved in the revolving Ozzie Guillen Soap Opera Clubhouse, either. It's certainly not for every type of player and invidual mentality (see Swisher/Cabrera).

QUOTE (bmags @ Apr 19, 2010 -> 12:14 AM)
i just want to remind everyone that we just got swept by the indians.

QUOTE (DaveBrown85 @ Apr 19, 2010 -> 12:22 AM)
We? No. The White Sox got swept. They've also lost 5 of 6 to the tribe this year.

We got swept, Dave.

I sense that you get punched in the face on a regular basis.

"I'm going to Miami," said manager Ozzie Guillen, who planned to watch his youngest son Ozney play baseball for Monsignor Pace High School. "I might not come back."

Guillen was joking, but the Sox already have lost seven games against AL Central opponents, including five to Cleveland. The 4-9 start equals their worst since 1997, a season that resulted in the White Flag Trade.

mark gonzales/trib

QUOTE (Thunderbolt @ Apr 18, 2010 -> 09:45 PM)
Gonzalez is 28 years old, not exactly a declining product at this point, he's also one of the better hitters in all of baseball. Bringing him in implies that this organization intends to build towards the future with him as their centerpeice. It's not a move for the sake of a move, it's a move to improve the team.

AGon is going to command $80M+ when he hits free agency (probably $100M or more). When was the last time that the Sox committed even $70M to one player? Realistically, he wouldn't be anything more than a year-and-a-half rental.

I also don't understand how trading for AGon involves "build[ing] towards the future" when it would require the Sox to give up guys like Hudson and Flowers. Such a move would obviously make the Sox much stronger at one position, but would weaken them at others down the line.

Edited by WCSox

Throw out the 2 Buerhle wins (The gem on Opening Day and the last victory) and we are really sucking wind at 2-9. I am not panicking yet but the offense as noted has been the absolutely lame and horrible. At least (And this had me on suicide watch last year!!) no shut outs to AA/AAA rejects although being swept by the Tribe and ehtir last place club in any other division and 1-5 against them so far is pathetic. I hope we turn the offense around.

AGon is going to command $80M+ when he hits free agency (probably $100M or more). When was the last time that the Sox committed even $70M to one player? Realistically, he wouldn't be anything more than a year-and-a-half rental.

I also don't understand how trading for AGon involves "build[ing] towards the future" when it would require the Sox to give up guys like Hudson and Flowers. Such a move would obviously make the Sox much stronger at one position, but would weaken them at others down the line.

I was really high on at least KW trying to pry Agon loose from the Pads for a package centered on Hudson/Flowers and Morel. But I don´t know anymore. If Freddie fails then we need the insurance that Hudson can possibly provide. I think another poster suggested looking at Berkman which may be a cheaper option. Let´s hope the Sox turn it around and play better ball from now until the trade deadline.

QUOTE (chisoxfan09 @ Apr 19, 2010 -> 08:54 AM)
If Freddie fails then we need the insurance that Hudson can possibly provide.

The importance in keeping Hudson has more to do with Buehrle and Danks than Freddy. Two years from now the top three in the rotation might be Peavy, Floyd, Hudson.

I think another poster suggested looking at Berkman which may be a cheaper option.

Berkman will be cheaper to sign as a FA, but he's already 34. If the Sox were to sign him, it'd be for the short-term.