The "Is it over or not?" thread

hi8is

Technically, it's not over until we're 8 games down to the Twins with 7 games to go.

But it's been over for at least a week or two now.

This team sucks and would be lucky to see .500.

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (BigSqwert @ Jun 7, 2010 -> 09:27 AM)
I actually re-watched Animal House over the weekend and man that movie is not anywhere near as funny as when I saw it as a kid.

Yeah, I don't think it holds up well at all.

Blues Brothers, either, for that matter.

On topic, I think it's fine to keep the faith. I'm not really able to, but if it makes watching the games more enjoyable, by all means keep believing!

Please, lets save ourselves some dignity and quit prolonging this team's death.

At this point, we're certain Pierzynski is gone (with his 10/5 rights about to be enacted), but I wouldn't mind to see a flurry of other trades as well. Let's just purge ourselves all in one motion.

QUOTE (The Critic @ Jun 7, 2010 -> 07:40 AM)
Yeah, I don't think it holds up well at all.

Blues Brothers, either, for that matter.

QUOTE (Milkman delivers @ Jun 7, 2010 -> 12:29 PM)
I watched Caddyshack about a year ago. I didn't laugh once.

:o

I never thought that the Sox could be this depressing.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Jun 7, 2010 -> 07:40 AM)
The problem is it is that exact core that is playing like s*** for the most part.

And now the problem is that the talented core of this team is too small to "retool" around. Going into next year, our above-average players are going to be Rios, Danks, Thornton, and I'll go out on a limb and say that Peavy, Mark, and Santos will be solid. There's little evidence that Quentin and Alexei will be any better than average. Beckham and Floyd are question marks. Outside of that, you have a bunch of below-average players and not enough money to fill 1B, C, DH, one SP slot, closer, and setup man with average-to-above-average veterans.

I'm sorry that Kenny dumped a ton of money into Peavy and Rios last season, because they're not going to have enough around them to help us win anything for at least two more years.

QUOTE (hi8is @ Jun 8, 2010 -> 09:25 PM)
Ok, where's the crow - Ill eat the whole damed thing.

Blow this crap called our team up.

Trade em all - start over.

Epic fail.

All optimism is over.

I admire the confession brother. Pat yourself on the back! :)

For a team whose expectations were set somewhat high (division champs, or at least contender), let's take a look at some of the facts:

The New, re-vamped, speedy, more capable of manufacturing runs offense: Ranked 28th in the MLB with a team Batting Average of .241, .319 OBP

(Coincidentally we're Ranked 6th in HR...); Still Walker has not, and WILL NOT ever be fired, b/c if it hasn't happened yet, it a'int happening.

What was supposed to be the top 5 (if not best in all of the AL) pitching staff: Ranked 26th in the MLB w/ a 4.85 ERA. We are the only team in the AL without a complete game. And sadly, Freddy Garcia is our best pitcher.

Our best ten game stretch record is an mind-blowing 6-4, and as pointed out earlier, we have only 1 three-game winning streak.

We are 9.5 games out in the middle of June.

Lastly, Cleveland owns us. The only thing left to officially seal this season is watching the Cubs do what every other team does to us this weekend- pummel us.

Guillen made this bed of pure garbage (No Dye, No Thome, Pierre, Kotsay), let him sleep in it, and pray it's only disastrous enough to end his tenure as manager of this squad.

It's Over.

I also applaud your coming around.

There's no reason to wait. Start planning on the overhaul, Kenny.

Should be interesting to see what fragments remain about Aug. 1.

We may not like what we see. Our minor league system is a joke according to many with our top prospects not doing well.

Beckham has been miserable.

Our beloved starting pitching has been gosh awful and even the much-beloved Thornton sucked today.

Wow. It should be so interesting to see what this team looks like in August.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Jun 7, 2010 -> 09:40 AM)
The problem is it is that exact core that is playing like s*** for the most part.

Yep. But we'd look like a bunch of absolute morons selling low on guys like Floyd, Quentin, Alexei, Beckham, etc. Quentin is the only one to really consider IMO, but even then, we're better off trying to get him going and then trying to get him to sign something reasonable in arb. The last thing we need to do is trade a 2011 30HR+ .380+ OBP stud to the Yankees, or anywhere else for that matter.

QUOTE (WCSox @ Jun 8, 2010 -> 10:56 PM)
And now the problem is that the talented core of this team is too small to "retool" around. Going into next year, our above-average players are going to be Rios, Danks, Thornton, and I'll go out on a limb and say that Peavy, Mark, and Santos will be solid. There's little evidence that Quentin and Alexei will be any better than average. Beckham and Floyd are question marks. Outside of that, you have a bunch of below-average players and not enough money to fill 1B, C, DH, one SP slot, closer, and setup man with average-to-above-average veterans.

I'm sorry that Kenny dumped a ton of money into Peavy and Rios last season, because they're not going to have enough around them to help us win anything for at least two more years.

I'd actually like to shop Santos around. Santos has been a revelation for us and may end up a top closer for the next 6 years for all we know, but he still is an out-of-options player who needs to continue developing at the Major League level, and if someone came along offering an extremely talented prospect who is close and has option years remaining, especially a position player or SP, I'd make that deal ASAP.

I haven't watched an entire Sox game in about a month. I've also abandoned my beloved chat, which I care for more than that filth on the field. All we can hope for is that several future mlb players emerge from the impending deals. Any future resurgence depends on outside prospects, because is anyone confident with what we have?

Edited by Flash Tizzle

QUOTE (Special K @ Jun 8, 2010 -> 11:03 PM)
Guillen made this bed of pure garbage (No Dye, No Thome, Pierre, Kotsay), let him sleep in it, and pray it's only disastrous enough to end his tenure as manager of this squad.

No. Kenny is the one who made this garbage roster. His job isn't to get the players Ozzie wants, its to get the BEST 25 players that he can to fill out the roster.

If you are going to blame Ozzie, you need to have equal blame on KW as well.. Ozzie isn't the GM, if KW didn't think this roster could get it done he could have done something about it.

The Sox are finding new ways to lose. Last night it was a very rare implosion by Matt Thornton...although scratching out only 2 runs on a Kotsay (!) HR didn't help.

Call it, ring the bell, throw in the towel. Make some trades and get us excited about the future.

QUOTE (Kenny Hates Prospects @ Jun 9, 2010 -> 12:04 AM)
I'd actually like to shop Santos around. Santos has been a revelation for us and may end up a top closer for the next 6 years for all we know, but he still is an out-of-options player who needs to continue developing at the Major League level, and if someone came along offering an extremely talented prospect who is close and has option years remaining, especially a position player or SP, I'd make that deal ASAP.

And this is why none of us are GMs. I'm not saying I disagree with you at all. I didn't know Santos was out of options...but of course our GM does, and if he finds the right prospect out there he may very well make a deal. Without having all of the info, many of us would probably vomit and curse and throw things if we heard that Santos was traded for a prospect. KW may have learned something this season about signing and acquiring a bunch of hopes and dreams and old guys. If he's still around next year (which I think he will be), I wouldn't be surprised if his philosophy is a bit different.