1. 1. ?

• In: This Team has me hooked, they are finally playing to their potential
    • Out: They are beating teams they SHOULD beat. I am not convinced
    • On the Fence: I can't make up my damn mind

• Replies 99
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm kind of with Rock here. I still haven't seen anything from this offense that tells me we can compete with the better teams in baseball. I will admit that I’m feeling a lot more optimistic about this team’s chances of being relevant towards the end of the season, but we need another bat. This has been the case since the start of spring.

Is Viciedo the big bat we need?

Can CQ start f***ing hitting consistently?

Can AJ get the average back to .290 territory?

Will Beckham start hitting the ball?

Will Kenny get creative and add a DH and drop that worthless turd Jones and turn Kotsay into only a pinch hitter?

Can the Sox trade Teahen somehow so he doesn't ruin the mojo when he comes back?

Go SOX!

QUOTE (greg775 @ Jun 21, 2010 -> 02:05 PM)

Will Kenny get creative and add a DH and drop that worthless turd Jones and turn Kotsay into only a pinch hitter?

Can the Sox trade Teahen somehow so he doesn't ruin the mojo when he comes back?

Inquiring minds want to know.

Go SOX!

Stay tuned for these answers and more!

Go SOX!

Will greg ever type in paragraph form?!

:P

I simply can't watch the games with the feeling we're out, always going to watch it hoping for the best and that we'll win every damn game.

You still have to beat the bad teams like you should, and it's nice to see us doing that.

They have to be in 1st place before you're in?

Good grief.

That post you are responding to with the above quote is one of the funniest posts of all time or saddest if you want to look at it that way.

Modern sports is all about winning and winning easy. Nobody wants to put in the sweat.

Sox did it nice and efficient in 05, losing just one postseason game after almost melting away in September.

I can see why somebody would be out, though. If you base it on a punchless offense and fact we haven't proven anything except the series we beat Detroit 2 of 3 and split with the Rays, then I can understand that.

Edited by greg775

Go SOX!

I'll tell you this about Viciedo, he has a TON of oppo power, which is nice to see out of a traditionally pull happy lineup.

Fun fact: The Twins were .500 on this date in 2006 -- 11.5 games out of first, 10.5 games behind the second place Sox -- before riding a couple hot starting pitchers to a 96 win season and division championship. I know, I know, they're the mighty Twins, they of the 5 division titles in the '00s to the Sox measly 3 (and a World Series ring). But a kid can dream.

QUOTE (35thstreetswarm @ Jun 21, 2010 -> 04:29 PM)
Fun fact: The Twins were .500 on this date in 2006 -- 11.5 games out of first, 10.5 games behind the second place Sox -- before riding a couple hot starting pitchers to a 96 win season and division championship. I know, I know, they're the mighty Twins, they of the 5 division titles in the '00s to the Sox measly 3 (and a World Series ring). But a kid can dream.

That Twins team is the team I have been pointing to for the last 2 months in anticipation of this very run. We can do this. We have 94 games left!

QUOTE (35thstreetswarm @ Jun 21, 2010 -> 05:29 PM)

That's a s***ty ass fact. Makes the 2006 debacle even harder to swallow.

QUOTE (Jordan4life @ Jun 21, 2010 -> 04:41 PM)
That's a s***ty ass fact. Makes the 2006 debacle even harder to swallow.

I honestly remember being in Cincinnati playing the Reds in the midst of our ass-kicking of just about everyone, and it was right when the Twins were beginning to put a streak together. It was right around this time (probably this last weekend), and I knew they were going to make a run. They had Santana, Liriano was coming into his own, and you just could feel that they were going to get back into the race.

I hope that they are thinking the same thing right now.

We can do this....Just need to keep the arms going.

QUOTE (DBAHO @ Jun 21, 2010 -> 11:29 AM)
Until they show they can beat Minny or Detroit in the 2nd half of the season, I'm still out.

Just don't think this team has enough offensively, and you can't rely on the pitching to be as good as it's been over the past week and a bit.

Well, they are 5-4 against those two teams.

It's the teams we're supposed to be beating (KC, Cleveland) that have killed us this year.

Take away our 4-8 record against Cleveland and we're 4 games over. If we had won 4 out of 6 against KC, we'd be 6 over.

QUOTE (iamshack @ Jun 21, 2010 -> 05:45 PM)
I honestly remember being in Cincinnati playing the Reds in the midst of our ass-kicking of just about everyone, and it was right when the Twins were beginning to put a streak together. It was right around this time (probably this last weekend), and I knew they were going to make a run. They had Santana, Liriano was coming into his own, and you just could feel that they were going to get back into the race.

I hope that they are thinking the same thing right now.

We can do this....Just need to keep the arms going.

That Twins team got some absurd 2nd half numbers (mostly batting average) out of EVERYONE in their lineup including some seemingly mediocre players. 5 starters (Morneau, White, Mauer, Hunter and Cuddyer) put up .850+ OPS's, Morneau hit .342, White .321 and Mauer .311. Then the absurd: their backup catcher (Redmond) hit .321 in 21 starts, Luis Castillo hit .314 with a .375 OBP at the top, Jason Bartlett hit .309, Nick "no bat" Punto hit .285 with a .332 OBP as their everyday 3B and Jason f***ing Tyner hit .312 in 321 PA. The team as a whole hit .316/.363/.474/.838 in July. When you have THAT many fluky performances and throw in the MVP of the league, Cy Young award winner, a catcher who wins the f***ing batting title, a rookie stater with a 208 ERA+ and a closer with a 0.79 WHIP and 12.5 K/9 you're going to win a s*** ton of games.

QUOTE (Kalapse @ Jun 21, 2010 -> 06:06 PM)
That Twins team got some absurd 2nd half numbers (mostly batting average) out of EVERYONE in their lineup including some seemingly mediocre players. 5 starters (Morneau, White, Mauer, Hunter and Cuddyer) put up .850+ OPS's, Morneau hit .342, White .321 and Mauer .311. Then the absurd: their backup catcher (Redmond) hit .321 in 21 starts, Luis Castillo hit .314 with a .375 OBP at the top, Jason Bartlett hit .309, Nick "no bat" Punto hit .285 with a .332 OBP as their everyday 3B and Jason f***ing Tyner hit .312 in 321 PA. The team as a whole hit .316/.363/.474/.838 in July. When you have THAT many fluky performances and throw in the MVP of the league, Cy Young award winner, a catcher who wins the f***ing batting title, a rookie stater with a 208 ERA+ and a closer with a 0.79 WHIP and 12.5 K/9 you're going to win a s*** ton of games.

Yeah, but we have Jake f***ing Peavy!

I don't know if I think they're contenders again, but I'm definitely paying attention to them again after writing the whole season off.

This read like a computer coding for some computer program to me.

But when I read slowly it made a s*** load of sense.

I knew this was coming - damn you and your "facts." Luckily I don't think we'll need quite that kind of performance to take the division this year, as I don't think we'll have three 90+-game winners in the division like we did in 2006. That may give us a bit more breathing room.

QUOTE (SHIPPS @ Jun 21, 2010 -> 06:25 PM)
This read like a computer coding for some computer program to me.

But when I read slowly it made a s*** load of sense.

class Kalapse_post{

public static void main(String args[]){

System.out.println("That Twins team got some absurd 2nd half numbers (mostly batting average) out of EVERYONE in their lineup including some seemingly mediocre players. 5 starters (Morneau, White, Mauer, Hunter and Cuddyer) put up .850+ OPS's, Morneau hit .342, White .321 and Mauer .311. Then the absurd: their backup catcher (Redmond) hit .321 in 21 starts, Luis Castillo hit .314 with a .375 OBP at the top, Jason Bartlett hit .309, Nick "no bat" Punto hit .285 with a .332 OBP as their everyday 3B and Jason f***ing Tyner hit .312 in 321 PA. The team as a whole hit .316/.363/.474/.838 in July. When you have THAT many fluky performances and throw in the MVP of the league, Cy Young award winner, a catcher who wins the f***ing batting title, a rookie stater with a 208 ERA+ and a closer with a 0.79 WHIP and 12.5 K/9 you're going to win a s*** ton of games.");

}}

There's some computer coding for ya.

Edited by chw42

It's surprising that Rondell White hit so well...