Prince Fielder Speculation

chisoxfan09

I agree with those of you who think that Fielder, or Dunn for that matter, would be too expensive. Of course, it would be great to add a guy who can hit 40 or 50 homers with an OBP of .400, but this team doesn't need a guy that good in order to win. Moreover, I don't think that we have the pieces and the money to get, and keep, someone like that.

We do however need a respectable LH bat vs. RH pitching. for all of the reasons I've stated in previous posts.

Adding a decent left handed hitter to the middle of the order would make a significant difference, just by his presence:

LF Pierre

SS Ramirez

RF Quentin

1B Konerko

DH (Any Decent LH Power Hitter with an OBP north of .360)

CF Rios

C A. J.

3B Viciedo

2B Beckham

Now that Quentin is hot, and hopefully back, and Rios is back to his career norm of a 20 to 25 homer hitter, instead of a true slugger, I love the idea of having Rios bat 6th. He can be like a second leadoff hitter for the bottom of the order. A. J. is a capable #2 type hitter, to bat behind Rios. Then you have Viciedo as an RBI threat, serving as a #3 type hitter, for the bottom of the order. Beckham can also drive in a run, once he gets back on track, and also serves as a second lead off hitter at the bottom of the order. Of course, eventually he should hit higher in the lineup.

That's a very good, and well balanced lineup, once you plug in a respectable LH Bat at DH.

They could platoon Teahen with Viciedo, when he comes off the DL.

Vizquel is a great late inning defensive replacement for both of them.

Again, I'd love to have Fielder or Dunn, but if the other guys are performing up to expectations, the Sox don't need to spend the money, and give up the prospects that it would take to get one of those guys.

Then next year, let's sign a big free agent LH bat to take Paulie's place.

They may have the money to do that, if they don't resign Konerko.

That way they would still have to spend the money, but wouldn't have to also "give up the farm".

Edited by Lillian

• Replies 367
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Garrett Atkins (31) - $8.5MM club option with a $500K buyout

Lance Berkman (35) - $15MM club option with a $2MM buyout

Wilson Betemit (29)

Hank Blalock (30)

Russell Branyan (35) - $5MM mutual option

Jorge Cantu (29)

Frank Catalanotto (37)

Adam Dunn (31)

Troy Glaus (34)

Wes Helms (35)

Eric Hinske (33) for 25th man role

Aubrey Huff (34)

Mike Jacobs (30)

Nick Johnson (32) - $5.5MM mutual option with a $250K buyout

Paul Konerko (35)

Adam LaRoche (31) - $7.5MM mutual option with a $1.5MM buyout

Derrek Lee (35)

Doug Mientkiewicz (37)

Kevin Millar (39)

Lyle Overbay (34)

Carlos Pena (33)

Albert Pujols (31) - $16MM club option with a $5MM buyout

Fernando Tatis (36)

Chad Tracy (31)

Ty Wigginton (33)

It's pretty bleak. Konerko actually looks good compared to most of those options, but you're going to base a long-term deal on Paulie's production in 2010 at age 35, that's VERY VERY dangerous.

KW has already been down that road with Contreras and Konerko, once.

Wigginton will get overpaid coming off this season as well.

Carlos Pena and Dunn are the best options, but that's definitely not saying much...along with LaRoche.

Derrek Lee, Huff and Cantu would be interesting options, but it's not like any of those guys are clearly going to be better than Konerko.

I guess I'd take my chances with Cantu, but he's been SO erratic and up and down in his career, in the AL....not sure if that's a wise gamble.

Or maybe you take a chance that Berkman can find a second home in Chicago and want to stay as a FA...but still, I have a sneaking suspicion Konerko comes back...depending on how the rest of the season plays out, like JD in 2nd half 2009, anything's possible.

Edited by caulfield12

QUOTE (Real @ Jul 5, 2010 -> 09:38 PM)
What kind of OF would you rather have?

Upton / Rios \ Quentin

or

Pierre / Rios \ Upton

or

Pierre / Upton \ Rios

or

Pods / Mackowiak \ Dye

?

My god that was a BAD defensive outfield.

QUOTE (hi8is @ Jul 5, 2010 -> 11:50 PM)
The reason I don't mind losing Danks for Lee would hinge on signability.

Danks and Boras haven't accepted any extentions in the past. Boras always wants to get his clients to free agency... and in free agency Danks and Lee are looking at similar numbers.

So, if you can trade for Lee and sign him to an extention... Do it - even if it means losing Danks.

I don't understand your infatuation with acquiring Lee. Anything he would potentially give to the Sox would be a marginal upgrade over Danks, plus he's going to cost 3 times as much as Danks next year, and twice as much as Danks in 2012. In 2013, Lee will be 35, and will probably be a solid #2 starter. Even further, his ERA this year has undoubtedly been aided by pitching at Safeco with the GREATEST DEFENSE EVER ASSEMBLED pitching behind him...his 0.74 GO/AO would not play well at USCF and would result in many more baseballs leaving the ballpark.

The Sox aren't interested in Cliff Lee whatsoever. I suppose you can dream, but I don't know why you would be doing so in the first place, because Cliff Lee isn't the answer.

Last night's injury to Peavy makes a pretty dramatic statement regarding the inadvisability of including Hudson in any trade for Fielder, or any other LH bat.

The Sox have been pretty lucky regarding the health of their pitching staff. It's pretty common to have injuries to pitchers, and having a guy at AAA, who is stretched out, and ready to step in for an injured pitcher is invaluable.

I think the hope of acquiring a big impact bat has now been pretty well dashed. I'd still like to see Kenny acquire a decent LH hitter for the middle of the lineup, but it won't be Dunn or Fielder. Perhaps they can get someone like Edmonds, or a free agent signing like Delgado (if he's ready).

Edited by Lillian

•The Angels have checked into the condition of Carlos Delgado, who is making his way back from hip surgery and could return in six weeks, if all goes well. They're looking for a Kendry Morales replacement, of course. (this message was around June 5th, so that would put Delgado in the vicinity of the 15-20th of July on that timeframe)

Delgado Aiming For July Return

By Nick Collias [May 17, 2010 at 7:06am CST]

Nearly three months after undergoing his second right hip labrum surgery in the last year, Carlos Delgado is finally off crutches and is eyeing a return to action in July, the free agent told Ruben A. Rodriguez at the Puerto Rican paper El Nuevo Dia (link and interview in Spanish). Delgado will travel to Colorado soon to get his doctor's approval before beginning a strengthening program, but insists he isn't "married" to his timeline and won't rush his recovery just to play this summer.

Delgado's name has been bandied as a possible mid-season hired gun for a contender, but the 37-year-old first baseman sounds more humble in the interview, conceding he may find it difficult to convince any teams to sign him following reconstructive surgery and more than a year away from Major League pitching. He declined to mention any specific suitors and seems resigned to taking whatever work he can find, rather than waiting, Jermaine Dye-esque, for the right price or team. "I understand the technical side and I'm willing to deal with that," Delgado told Rodriguez. "It's not like I'll sign and be the cleanup hitter. To get a job you have to go through another process. People have to see me play."

To that end, Delgado said he is open to the possibility of playing during the offseason in Puerto Rico, as he did last winter. Barring all other options, though, he acknowledged that he may have to simply "face reality," a theme which popped up in previous interviews with the Puerto Rican press even prior to his latest operation.

Edited by caulfield12

Onley is saying the Brewers are exploring trade talks for Fielder and Hart.

https://twitter.com/Buster_ESPN/status/18232727795

KW needs to get this guy. I really hope KW can put together a trade package centered around Viciedo and Flowers. I would include Mitchell and maybe some pitching (not named Santos or Hudson) to get Fielder.

I'm sure the Brewers will ask for Hudson, Beckham, and/or Santos. I'd prefer not to trade any of those players, but if push came to shove I'd be willing to part with Santos. Viciedo, Flowers, and Santos for Fielder.

QUOTE (Mattchoo @ Jul 11, 2010 -> 08:20 AM)
Also found this AOL Fanhouse report

http://mlb.fanhouse.com/2010/07/09/brewers...-weeks-on-table

We really need to try to get Fielder. He would fit perfectly at US Cellular. Also, we could still keep PK next year if PK is willing to take an under market contract. I'm thinking 3yrs $21M for PK.

I'm afraid any realistic chance of getting Fielder ended with Peavy's injury. If the Brewers wind up moving him, it will be for pitching. They have a young catcher they're happy with (Jonathan Lucroy) but after Yovani Gallardo the starters are really bleak.

QUOTE (logic101 @ Jul 11, 2010 -> 10:51 AM)
I'm afraid any realistic chance of getting Fielder ended with Peavy's injury. If the Brewers wind up moving him, it will be for pitching. They have a young catcher they're happy with (Jonathan Lucroy) but after Yovani Gallardo the starters are really bleak.

Three team trade to get them the young pitching that they want?

If Fielder does come here, the Sox better win it all in the next year and a half. I don't see him being re signed here if not.

Edited by Chet Kincaid

QUOTE (Real @ Jul 11, 2010 -> 04:32 PM)
I have a huge feeling that we're getting Fielder

It's definitely something that Kenny will talk to them about.

My guess is there are a few things that Kenny would have to insist on the Brewers accepting though in order to make it happen. I think he would insist on them taking Linebrink back to lessen the $ hit we would be taking for this and next year. That being said, the very reason the Brewers would be open to dealing Fielder is to ditch his contract and to use the pieces they got back to reload. So we would have to be sending back some good pieces.

As another poster mentioned, the Brewers are not necessarily looking for a catcher though so I'm not sure we have the pieces necessary considering our two best pieces are Hudson and Flowers.

The only solution I can think of would be something along the lines of Linebrink/Viciedo/Danks2/Mitchell/another spect, or maybe Linebrink/Flowers/Viciedo/Danks2 or Linebrink/Hudson/Viciedo/Danks2 for Parra/Fielder and then we try to get Parra turned around somehow.

However, this is probably just a pipedream but I do think it is absolutely a 100% chance that Kenny is talking to them about Fielder.

The Brewers most pressing need is most definitely pitching, they won't be winning anything until they revamp that rotation and bullpen. Dealing Fielder would certainly be the best way to load up and I just can't see how we can afford to deal away any of our 3 good/high touting young starters especially with Peavy set to miss the rest of the season.

QUOTE (Kalapse @ Jul 11, 2010 -> 04:55 PM)
The Brewers most pressing need is most definitely pitching, they won't be winning anything until they revamp that rotation and bullpen. Dealing Fielder would certainly be the best way to load up and I just can't see how we can afford to deal away any of our 3 good/high touting young starters especially with Peavy set to miss the rest of the season.

You're absolutely right, which is why my fantasy is just that - a fantasy.

But I do sleep comfortably knowing Kenny is having the same fantasy and will do everything within his power to figure something out.

QUOTE (Kalapse @ Jul 11, 2010 -> 05:55 PM)

If it meant netting Fielder Id be ok with losing Hudson, I'd imagine Carlos Torres would be the first guy given a chance to fill the 5th spot and if he fails can look at bringing in Pedro/Washburn or a real screwball and give Sale a chance to take the spot over.

QUOTE (iamshack @ Jul 11, 2010 -> 06:07 PM)
You're absolutely right, which is why my fantasy is just that - a fantasy.

But I do sleep comfortably knowing Kenny is having the same fantasy and will do everything within his power to figure something out.

Fielder has been having a really tough year. He's started hitting some homeruns again but he's been chasing terrible pitches with men on base. He has 20 HRs but only 39 RBIs. Starting pitching is what carried this turnaround. It's already been dealt a blow that we all know will be felt in the upcoming 2 and a half months...I trust Kenny won't do anything to damage it further to chase a big name...at least I hope he doesn't.

If Peavy wasn't hurt, I'd trade Hudson as a part of a Fielder deal. But since Peavy is hurt, I don't think we can afford to get rid of Hudson. We all know what it feels like to have a really crappy fifth starter.

Edited by chw42

QUOTE (knightni @ Jul 11, 2010 -> 07:31 PM)
You can deal 2010 drafted guys in the 2011 season as PTBNLs, but they can't be announced until after the 2011 draft.

Ok, so you can DEAL (send to Team X), a 2010 pick only once the calender turns to 2011?

Basically what I'm asking is, if Chris Sale was an interest to the Brewers for Fielder, and let's say Hudson as well, and maybe throw in Morel, could we include Sale as a PTBNL, and then send him to the Brewers next year?

I think I heard a few years ago that you can't do this, but I don't remember

QUOTE (Real @ Jul 11, 2010 -> 07:46 PM)
Ok, so you can DEAL (send to Team X), a 2010 pick only once the calender turns to 2011?

Basically what I'm asking is, if Chris Sale was an interest to the Brewers for Fielder, and let's say Hudson as well, and maybe throw in Morel, could we include Sale as a PTBNL, and then send him to the Brewers next year?

I think I heard a few years ago that you can't do this, but I don't remember

It goes by signing date, not drafting date. Unlike the NBA where teams can trade exclusive negotiation rights you can't do that in MLB. I believe that in MLB the draft date means next to nothing, it's all about the signing date.

The rule is the player has to be in the organization for one full year, but PTBNLs can happen way sooner. I think it's like 6 months or something. But that doesn't matter either because you never ever see that and never will. PTBNLs are always from a pool of players when the deal is going to be completed at a much later date, and the only times you see a specific player go as a PTNBL it's in a deal that is completed relatively quickly and the only reason for the PTBNL designation is to skirt some rule (like Gio coming to the Sox in Floyd-Garcia deal officially as a PTBNL). But anyway, you will never see a specific player in a big deal put that far out simply because of the enormous risk involved (what if a team agrees to take Sale and in the mean time Sale blows his elbow out?) and also because, as a centerpiece, the Sox don't have a bunch of comparable, Sale-like pieces to put in a player pool. A given team that would be so in love with Sale that they'd view the Sox offer as the best offer wouldn't just accept a Jordan Danks should Sale get hurt, and probably not a Hudson, Flowers, or Viciedo either.

Edited by Kenny Hates Prospects

QUOTE (Kenny Hates Prospects @ Jul 12, 2010 -> 02:29 AM)
Sox shouldn't be expected to land Fielder. We'd drain the farm (not that I would really care) but we'd also trade current Major Leaguers for a guy that Borass will not let re-sign here and also a guy who like Danks and Quentin will be asking for big raises in arb after the season. I'd love Fielder, but he's not realistic IMO.

People need to hop on the Adam LaRoche bandwagon if we can't get Dunn (and the Sox would be braindead to meet the Nats price) because no one else out there is going to be worth the price IMO. We could conceivably add LaRoche, another reliever, and an AL #3/#4 type starter if we need one without losing Viciedo or Hudson, who are the only two high-level MiLBers who even matter.

PS Mark Teahen is a dog who should be beaten with a shovel.

If we could get those peices without giving up Viciedo or Hudson - sign me the f*** up!

QUOTE (hi8is @ Jul 11, 2010 -> 08:35 PM)
If we could get those peices without giving up Viciedo or Hudson - sign me the f*** up!

Unfortanatley it will likely cost the Sox both Viciedo and Hudson to get this done. With Peavy out- this would hurt us unless KW goes and gets another pitcher prior to this move.