White Sox Trade Catch-All

hi8is

QUOTE (Kalapse @ Jul 29, 2010 -> 12:24 AM)
They got a good look at Sergio who had one of his most impressive outings of the season tonight.

They sure did, I love Sergio his fastball is electric obviously and once he gets a hang of throwing his slider and breaking pitches reg. IMO he will be lights out. He reminds me of Jenks 05' and would hate to see us trade him.

With that said I wonder what his value is to other teams with the relief market being bare and outrageously expensive in terms of prospects teams have to give up. I obviously think his value is really high, he has pitched for less than a year and not only has the stuff but foritude of a closer already. I could really see him being a key part to a Fielder trade (although no Mil scouts were at the game according to the article).

QUOTE (Kalapse @ Jul 29, 2010 -> 12:31 AM)
REALLY looks like Oswalt is a Philly:

Ken_Rosenthal

FOX 26 in Houston reporting #Astros and #Phillies have deal in place for Oswalt. Trying to confirm. His approval would be required. #MLB 12 minutes ago via web

from what I've read Phi would be hard pressed to afford Oswalt if they held onto Werth. I would love to see the sox get Werth and JA Happ from Philly.

If they do indeed land Oswalt, their rotation is plain nasty Halladay/Oswalt/Hamels/Blanton?/? all I know is that would be a deadly threesome in the playoffs. That's why I kinda would rather add a vetran pitcher at the deadline. Depending on the cost Ted Lilly really wouldn't be too bad at this point BUherls/Floyd/Danks/Lilly/Sweaty.

QUOTE (Kalapse @ Jul 29, 2010 -> 12:31 AM)
REALLY looks like Oswalt is a Philly:

Ken_Rosenthal

FOX 26 in Houston reporting #Astros and #Phillies have deal in place for Oswalt. Trying to confirm. His approval would be required. #MLB 12 minutes ago via web

So in the last year the Phillies have been able to trade for Cliff Lee, Roy Halladay and it looks like Roy Oswalt all while not sacrificing anything from the major league team and holding on to their #1 prospect in Dominic Brown. Yeah, farm system depth is really overrated.

QUOTE (Jordan4life @ Jul 29, 2010 -> 12:57 AM)
So in the last year the Phillies have been able to trade for Cliff Lee, Roy Halladay and it looks like Roy Oswalt all while not sacrificing anything from the major league team and holding on to their #1 prospect in Dominic Brown. Yeah, farm system depth is really overrated.

In 2009, Carlos Carrasco, Michael Taylor,Jason Donald, Kyle Drabek, Lou Marson, and JA Happ(who'll presumably be going to HOU for Oswalt) were all ranked higher than Domonic Brown and then sent away for Lee/Halladay. I understand your point of how deep Philadelphia's farm is, but to suggest they orchestrated these great deals while retaining their best prospect(Brown) isn't exactly true. The Phillies have paid a great deal, for what'll be one of the best one-two in the NL of Halladay/Oswalt. What if they could've retained Lee too? Unbelieveable. Halladay-Lee-Oswalt.

And to the poster suggesting we could trade for Werth and Happ. Happ is most definitely going to HOU and I can't see them trading Werth while Victorino is out.

After watching the past three games, I wouldn't be too upset if the Sox end up with a smaller bat such as Hawpe or LaRoche. Acquiring Dunn or Fielder would be great, but they'd be sending away a lot of young talent (especially for Fielder). What about LaRoche and Jackson from the D-Backs?

QUOTE (Kalapse @ Jul 28, 2010 -> 04:49 PM)
Oh yeah, looks like Ben Sheets is out for the season due to flexor tendon surgery. From Susan Slusser of the SF Chronicle:

Billy Beane did something stupid. Quick, somebody write this down.

Edited by chw42

QUOTE (Frank_Thomas35 @ Jul 29, 2010 -> 09:56 AM)
The only two guys that interest me on the blue jays are Bautista (although I don't think he is a fit, righty with a bad average) and overbay (rather stand pat then trade prospects for him). But sure seems Kenny has scouts everywhere looking for a piece or two to improve.

You wouldnt want Frasor, Downs, or Marcum?

Please NO. Branyan has a bad back and is a sneeze away from the DL again. Hawk keeps saying how powerful a lefty he is and talks him up everytime at the plate. May be something, or not.

Also I really really don't want to trade Viciedo. I truly believe he will be a great MLB player soon.

QUOTE (fathom @ Jul 29, 2010 -> 10:24 AM)
Just a guess, but my trade prediction is Morel and Harrell for Branyan. Seattle has shown interest in Morel the past few weeks.

I thought about Branyan during the game last night. I'm surprised his name hasn't come up much.

QUOTE (Frank_Thomas35 @ Jul 29, 2010 -> 10:28 AM)
Please NO. Branyan has a bad back and is a sneeze away from the DL again. Hawk keeps saying how powerful a lefty he is and talks him up everytime at the plate. May be something, or not.

Also I really really don't want to trade Viciedo. I truly believe he will be a great MLB player soon.

I agree. He's still rough, but he's got some raw power that could lead him to being a hell of a hitter. Plus, he reminds Hawk of Moose.

QUOTE (Frank_Thomas35 @ Jul 29, 2010 -> 10:37 AM)
I may be putting too much into to this but I believe some teams may be turned off by the fact Viciedo is owed 10 mil a year (I believe) for a guy who is still a work in progress.

I thought it was 10 million over 4 years?

QUOTE (Frank_Thomas35 @ Jul 29, 2010 -> 11:37 AM)
I may be putting too much into to this but I believe some teams may be turned off by the fact Viciedo is owed 10 mil a year (I believe) for a guy who is still a work in progress.

Viciedo signed a $10 million initial contract, but he is not owed anywhere close to that level of money per year. He is owed $1.25 million next year and $2.5 million in 2012 and is under team control for the same number of years as any other rookie.

edit: http://chicago.whitesox.mlb.com/news/artic...sp&c_id=cws link discussing his contract

Edited by asmithxc

QUOTE (Frank_Thomas35 @ Jul 29, 2010 -> 08:37 AM)

He was paid a 4 M bonus and gets 6M over a 4 year span, IIRC. So he is quiet cheap.

QUOTE (fathom @ Jul 29, 2010 -> 10:24 AM)
Just a guess, but my trade prediction is Morel and Harrell for Branyan. Seattle has shown interest in Morel the past few weeks.

Oh god no. The only way I trade for Branyan is if all it took was Marquez or some non-prospect like him. Even then, I think I would almost prefer Mark Kotsay at DH over Branyan... but thats like asking me if I want herpes or warts.