White Sox Acquire Edwin Jackson

SOXOBAMA

• Replies 1.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Frank_Thomas35 @ Jul 30, 2010 -> 07:59 PM)
I don't think the Sox trade Viciedo. He looks too legit, Hawk had said multiple time Beckham an Viciedo will be the faces of the franchise for a long time. I know Hawk is a homer but he has been around a long time and knows when a player has a chance to be great.

I think Dunn would be great for us. But at this point I woul be upset, very upset if we trade EJax or Viciedo in the next few hours. Other than them have your pick, I know it's slim but too bad. I'd be plenty satisfied with a Brad Hawpe or Bautista who will cost much leas IMO.

Agreed about Viciedo. He's looked very legit thus far.

QUOTE (Chet Kincaid @ Jul 30, 2010 -> 08:58 PM)
Actually I think very highly of Viciedo. I think he'll be a right handed David Ortiz - in a couple of years. But I wanna win it all this year. The team is built to win this year. With Dunn in the middle of that line up and the pitching staff performing like they are right now, the White Sox are going to be HARD to beat.

Jake Peavy, the Yankees, and the Phillies all say "hi".

QUOTE (Thunderbolt @ Jul 30, 2010 -> 09:00 PM)
How the hell can you make a move like this to set up a lateral move that you don’t know for sure will be of any of interest to the other team? Kenny got played hard if this Nats stuff is true.

I don't think this is the case.

Same thing with the Rios roster claim...KW knows what he's doing.

If there was an agreement between the two GM's and the Nationals backed out, Rizzo won't last for long before he starts to get a bad reputation.

JR wouldn't have let KW take the risk this would happen as well...unless our financial concerns have been wildly overstated.

QUOTE (rockren @ Jul 30, 2010 -> 10:25 PM)
Meaning those factors/clubs are reasons we won't win it all this year.

Like I said... put Dunn in the middle of that line up with Rios, Quentin and Konerko mashing plus throw in a resurgent Alexei and Beckham AND add a solid rotation and bullpen on top of that? I'll take my chances against the Yanks and the Phillies any day.

Jake Peavy, the Yankees, and the Phillies all say "hi".

2005 says "hi" right back...

Edited by Chet Kincaid

19-1 home winning streaks, Dayan Viciedo, Gordon Beckham, Lucas Harrell and Alexei Ramirez say hello.

Seriously, nobody knows what will happen this post-season, the Yankees are favored along with the Red Sox every preseason and they've only won one World Series this decade.

I like our pitching, defense, versatility and improved athleticism...it might be a case like 2003 and the Twins beat us again, but we're not going to lose to them in the traditional Sox way this year, that's for sure.

We're taking a 7-0 run from the Twins, two blown saves on the road in 4 days, and we're still standing. This team, at least in my opinion, really believes they are a team of destiny after the way they turned that 24-33 start around. It's strange, it doesn't even seem totally strange that Lucas Harrell just won a start. Heck, Matt Ginter, Arnie Munoz, Mike Porzio, Josh Stewart or Jim Parque could win as a starter the way things are going.

I won't go as far as to add Broadway and McCulloch to that list, however.

Edited by caulfield12

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Jul 31, 2010 -> 04:31 AM)
19-1 home winning streaks, Dayan Viciedo, Gordon Beckham, Lucas Harrell and Alexei Ramirez say hello.

Seriously, nobody knows what will happen this post-season, the Yankees are favored along with the Red Sox every preseason and they've only won one World Series this decade.

I like our pitching, defense, versatility and improved athleticism...it might be a case like 2003 and the Twins beat us again, but we're not going to lose to them in the traditional Sox way this year, that's for sure.

We're taking a 7-0 run from the Twins, two blown saves on the road in 4 days, and we're still standing. This team, at least in my opinion, really believes they are a team of destiny after the way they turned that 24-33 start around. It's strange, it doesn't even seem totally strange that Lucas Harrell just won a start. Heck, Matt Ginter, Arnie Munoz, Mike Porzio, Josh Stewart or Jim Parque could win as a starter the way things are going.

I won't go as far as to add Broadway and McCulloch to that list, however.

Agreed. We're seeing some things this season that we've never seen before from the Sox. They were left for dead a little over a month ago, now they have a 1.5 lead in the division. They lost their #1 or #2 depending on how you look at it in Peavy but they keep winning. They are getting big plays from Omar and Andruw when everyone said they were 5-6 years past their prime. Outside of PK and Rios they have had big inconsistencies from pretty much everyone else, but again here we are with the Sox leading the AL Central.

They may not win the division but so far this season has been unreal with the highs and lows. The same problems that they faced in April and May could resurface or this ride could continue right into October. All you have to do is make the final 4 then it's anyones ballgame.

Who's to say Viciedo might not become an even better hitter someday than Dunn?

The guy just rakes line drives all around the park, why would we want to pay Dunn $45 million for 3 years AND give up Viciedo?

If we keep Jackson, we have to get some lower cost players in the line-up SOMEWHERE.

It is going to be one of my worst days as a Sox fan if we trade Viciedo or Beckham for that matter.

Kenny has yet to make a move that has shattered my fandom, so I trust he won't deal either. But f***, Viciedo has to be a piece in the Dunn deal; he has to be. We have too much s*** to offer besides he or Beckham.

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Jul 30, 2010 -> 11:21 PM)
I don't think this is the case.

Same thing with the Rios roster claim...KW knows what he's doing.

If there was an agreement between the two GM's and the Nationals backed out, Rizzo won't last for long before he starts to get a bad reputation.

JR wouldn't have let KW take the risk this would happen as well...unless our financial concerns have been wildly overstated.

You don't make this deal without a tenative agreement with the Nats in place. You don't trade Hudson and Holmberg under the assumption that the Nats want Jackson, you need to know for certain.

QUOTE (Chet Kincaid @ Jul 30, 2010 -> 09:39 PM)
If we can get Dunn AND keep Jackson, and Coop really can work his magic with him, I think the White Sox would have to be seen as a legitimate threat to the Yanks. I'd let the Nationals have whatever they want for Dunn. I'd give up Viciedo and any other minor leaguer.

To rent a guy for 2 months??? Anyone who advocates trading Viciedo under these circumstances has a screw loose.

QUOTE (Heads22 @ Jul 31, 2010 -> 05:00 AM)
Heard from an exec not involved in the discussions that the White Sox are furious with the Nats over Edwin Jackson.

via Law.

I'm sorry, but KW has no one to blame but himself if all this is true. If you're making what equates to a 3-way deal, you better make sure all teams are 100% sure.

QUOTE (fathom @ Jul 31, 2010 -> 12:03 AM)
I'm sorry, but KW has no one to blame but himself if all this is true. If you're making what equates to a 3-way deal, you better make sure all teams are 100% sure.

Exactly, this is a huge blunder by Kenny. You never commit to something like this without something worked out in advance with all parties. It sounds like we just got robbed of two prospects for a trade chip that we can't trade.

Edited by Thunderbolt

Interesting tidbit...

Check out Jackson's game log. He had a start against the Rockies on

April 27th where he gave up 10 earned in 2 1/3.

His next start was May 2 vs Cubs and he gave up 8 earned in 4.

That's 18 earned in 6 1/3 innings.

His ERA before those two starts was 3.81.

His ERA since has been 4.24.

QUOTE (Thunderbolt @ Jul 30, 2010 -> 11:01 PM)
Rosenthal says that the White Sox are out of the Dunn sweepstakes again. In other news, we should have resigned Jim Thome. http://twitter.com/Ken_Rosenthal/status/19963760931

I don't know how he'd know that but that's good news. Screw those guys. Let them get their draft picks for Dunn. And if he lands on another AL team this year, that's the way it goes

QUOTE (Thunderbolt @ Jul 31, 2010 -> 04:05 AM)
Exactly, this is a huge blunder by Kenny. You never commit to something like this without something worked out in advance with all parties. It sounds like we just got robbed of two prospects for a trade chip that we can't trade.

And we're still without offensive help, which is what KW wanted to actually get. Still 16 hours for KW to find another player.

Remember how one of the justifications for the rotating DH was that we could easily fill the spot if we had to by the deadline? We can all admit that was bunk now, right? We can still make a a move by tomorrow, but it sure wasn't the walk in the park that management seemed to think it'd be.

QUOTE (Thunderbolt @ Jul 31, 2010 -> 04:08 AM)
Remember how one of the justifications for the rotating DH was that we could easily fill the spot if we had to by the deadline? We can all admit that was bunk now, right? We can still make a a move by tomorrow, but it sure wasn't the walk in the park that management seemed to think it'd be.

Yes, but that movement was led by the host of our pre/postgame radio show. Enough said

QUOTE (fathom @ Jul 30, 2010 -> 11:03 PM)

You make a 3 way deal. Not do it in pieces, but if Rizzo gave his word that getting Jackson would get you Dunn, and now he's singing a different tune, his days as a GM are more than likely numbered. I like to give KW a hard time, but if someone went back on their word, he's blameless here even if he was a little careless not doing it as a 3 way. If that was the plan, it appears all of Cowley's crap was total BS.

Edited by Dick Allen

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Jul 31, 2010 -> 05:12 AM)
You make a 3 way deal. Not do it in pieces, but if Rizzo gave his word that getting Jackson would get you Dunn, and now he's singing a different tune, his days as a GM are more than likely numbered. I like to give KW a hard time, but if someone went back on their word, he's blameless here even if he was a little careless not doing it as a 3 way. If that was the plan, it appears all of Cowley's crap was total BS.

The thing with Cowley is he always like to say how numerous reporters are given false scoop by KW and company in order to keep the actual moves under the radar. I guess Cowley doesn't realize he's one of these reporters who is being used.

QUOTE (Thunderbolt @ Jul 30, 2010 -> 11:08 PM)

The people who always talk about midseason additions are always fooling themselves. Its a lot easier to sign a free agent than make a trade with a team on July 31.