Waiver Wire Thread

AWhiteSoxinNJ

• Replies 238
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It just means we have to trade low level guys.

Viciedo, Torres, Flowers, Santos, Beckham and probably Nunez are all off the market unless we're dealing with the Orioles.

Yeah, not easy to stay optimistic.

Looks like we could just put all our eggs in the Manny basket.

Anyone think Werth could clear waivers after Victorino comes back off the DL and Brown shows he can contribute? I think Werth could be a decent pickup. Everytime I check the box score for Philly Werth usually has 2-3 hits every game along with 1-3 RBIs. He could be our RF and Quentin can move exclusively to DH.

QUOTE (BearingPro @ Jul 31, 2010 -> 10:48 PM)
Very cool idea starting this thread...some notable transactions have occured during this period. Of course we all know about Alex Rios. :notworthy

Hopefully the guy we "might" get won't be as bad as Rios was that year he was claimed in contention.

QUOTE (pktmotion @ Jul 31, 2010 -> 11:58 PM)
Anyone think Werth could clear waivers after Victorino comes back off the DL and Brown shows he can contribute? I think Werth could be a decent pickup. Everytime I check the box score for Philly Werth usually has 2-3 hits every game along with 1-3 RBIs. He could be our RF and Quentin can move exclusively to DH.

I would think not seeing as how he's young, cheap ($7M this year, maybe $2.5M left when placed on waivers), comes with zero long term commitment and is one of the most productive outfielders in the game of baseball. (5th in wOBA)

Also keep in mind that any young player we trade can not be on the 40 man roster as they're not going to get past the worst teams in the AL without getting claimed on the waiver wire. Only guys like Morel, Gilmore and Jor. Danks can be involved in trades. The likes of Flowers, Torres, Viciedo or Santos can not be traded unless it's to say the Orioles, so even if a very good hitter did clear waivers a few of our most desirable prospects would be off limits.

Also don't expect any great or even good players with decent contracts to clear waivers, they should all be claimed rather quickly and any NL players would have to clear the entire NL and the 9 AL teams with worse records than us (possibly 8 if the Twins pass us) before we get the opportunity to put in a claim. Meaning guys like Dunn and LaRoche shouldn't get any where close to us, I don't foresee them being in play.

QUOTE (Thunderbolt @ Aug 1, 2010 -> 01:08 AM)
There is no chance that Adam Laroche makes it to us in waivers.

I agree, because it goes through the league the player in is first (NL), and then it goes to the AL, all while in the order of worst record first. So we would be like....what the 25-28th team to get a shot to grab him? I can't see us picking up anyone through waivers unless they....

A.) Have a massive contract

B.) Are not a very good player.

Because if it's an NL team, then we have to wait for 25-28 other teams to make their decision to pass, or if it's an AL team, then 8-11 other teams get a shot. Of all the people we have discussed so far (Werth, LaRoche, Manny, Dunn), they are ALL NL players.

Edited by JoeCoolMan24

I think last year was one of those "one time happening for every 10 years" type of thing. I dont think we will have anything even close to that magnitude of impact move such as the talents of Rios. We got a beast with him and it was extremely lucky.

Ditto here. However thinking about it and Ozzie doing it are two different things. He loves the Kotsay/Jones platoon, but with Tank hitting the cover off the ball Oz may have no choice. Teahen started well in the minors tonight as well. Those two are pretty solid and could contend and hopefuly win a division.

I'm going to say this now, I think the EJax trade will be looked at as one of KWs best by this time next season. I have a feeling after a few bullpen sessions with coop and a start or two to fine tune him, EJax will be FILTHY.

ABANDON ALL HOPE

Gary Matthews, Jr.

Carlos Lee

Vernon Wells

Lyle Overbay

Alphonso Soriano

K. Fukudome

Aaron Rowand

Travis Hafner

Todd Helton

Jose Guillen

Manny Ramirez

Milton Bradley

One name that intrigues me a bit is Torii Hunter, but his contract is simply too expensive for Torii and Alex to be playing in the same outfield...simply because I would love to beat the Twins with a former Twin, but it will never happen. But it would have been fun to watch.

QUOTE (Thunderbolt @ Aug 1, 2010 -> 12:32 AM)
I expect to see the Cubs put a lot of their big contracts through waivers in a few weeks. The problem is that the Twins and the Tigers could easily block us and be better for it.

Which one of those big contracts would you like to pick up? Fukudome, Soriano, Zambrano, Ramirez??? I'm sure the Twins or Tigers would gladly let one of those guys pass through waivers if we are gonna try to pay their salaries.

Well, the Tigers would have possibly made a play for Aramis Ramirez if they weren't already on the hook for Peralta...

But I don't think they're convinced they can stay with the Sox and Twins while missing four key components in Inge, Ordonez, Guillen and Zumaya.

Edited by caulfield12

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Aug 1, 2010 -> 08:56 AM)
Well, the Tigers would have possibly made a play for Aramis Ramirez if they weren't already on the hook for Peralta...

But I don't think they're convinced they can stay with the Sox and Twins while missing four key components in Inge, Ordonez, Guillen and Zumaya.

Dombrowski said they were on the verge of something huge and he was crushed when it fell apart. I think they would still give it a shot. Maggs getting hurt was a $15 million present to their organization.

I have no idea why the Sox don't give Viciedo a shot at DHing. Worst case scenerio he hits like Kotsay/Jones.

Edited by Dick Allen