Waiver Wire Thread

AWhiteSoxinNJ

QUOTE (BigSqwert @ Aug 3, 2010 -> 04:28 PM)
So what happens when Ozzie does or says something to upset him while he's here? He go into pouty, fake injury mode?

yeah, but they said they won't claim him and take 100%, it would be favorable to them, so probably in a position to cut him and be in the same bad position with DH they are now

• Replies 238
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (BigSqwert @ Aug 3, 2010 -> 04:28 PM)
So what happens when Ozzie does or says something to upset him while he's here? He go into pouty, fake injury mode?

I don't think he would do that here. Ozzie will keep him in check. They have a very good relationship.

QUOTE (BigSqwert @ Aug 3, 2010 -> 05:31 PM)
So is he on waivers yet?

Until he's actually on your team, you never know anything official. They're forbidden to talk about it.

With him on the DL and the Dodgers having just added players, they might wait a bit for him to come off and to see if they can make 1 last run at the West before trying to drop him.

QUOTE (BigSqwert @ Aug 3, 2010 -> 04:34 PM)
All this s*** confuses me. Dunn was announced to be on waivers today. Did the Nats openly announce that or something?

A club probably leaked it. You won't hear about a lot of names on waivers, just a few that get leaked by a opposing clubs.

QUOTE (BigSqwert @ Aug 3, 2010 -> 05:34 PM)
All this s*** confuses me. Dunn was announced to be on waivers today. Did the Nats openly announce that or something?

It's all done by leaks. Every GM in baseball should have access to the waiver wire reports, so you kinda know when most of the names are put out there because teams will leak them, but teams can also leak false reports. Last year, the reports were that Rios was claimed by an unnamed team and we spent about 24 hours guessing it could be the Sox before it leaked out of the Sox front office that yeah, they'd put in a claim on him.

The entire process is supposed to be secret, but there's way too many people involved for it to stay that way.

QUOTE (chw42 @ Aug 3, 2010 -> 04:40 PM)
You can waive waiver claims with an NTC? I know you can reject a trade, but once a team claims you, you probably have to be pulled back.

Yes, if you are protected with a NTC, you don't have to go.

Edited by Dick Allen

Any possibility that the Dodgers added salary at the deadline with the intention of trading Manny in August? IMO, Manny is one of the few potential impact bats that should pass through waivers. Seems like his value would only increase in August with guys like Dunn being restricted to a single trading partner. I'm not suggesting the Dodgers would get a ton for him, but I don't think it's far-fetched for them to get $3 million and a prospect in return for him at this point, which clearly they couldn't get in July. Maybe that was their plan all along?

QUOTE (Chicago White Sox @ Aug 3, 2010 -> 05:54 PM)
Any possibility that the Dodgers added salary at the deadline with the intention of trading Manny in August? IMO, Manny is one of the few potential impact bats that should pass through waivers. Seems like his value would only increase in August with guys like Dunn being restricted to a single trading partner. I'm not suggesting the Dodgers would get a ton for him, but I don't think it's far-fetched for them to get $3 million and a prospect in return for him at this point, which clearly they couldn't get in July. Maybe that was their plan all along?

The deadline really meant nothing because nobody was going to claim him. I don't see how his price would go up. The Sox offered $1 million in salary relief and nothing else. I doubt they would go much higher if they would go higher at all.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Aug 3, 2010 -> 06:02 PM)
The deadline really meant nothing because nobody was going to claim him. I don't see how his price would go up. The Sox offered $1 million in salary relief and nothing else. I doubt they would go much higher if they would go higher at all.

Before the trading deadline, there were other impact bats available like Dunn, Berkman, etc. There are not going to be a lot of possible impact players that clear through waivers (at least ones without mulityear commitments). The market is radically different now than it was in July.

Honestly, who is a more attractive bat that you expect to clear waivers? If Manny is indeed the top option now, then his value will be higher than it was before the deadline.

Also, the offer the Sox made ($1 million and no prospects) was a complete joke. They wanted to see how desperate the Dodgers were to move him and clearly they got their answer. I don't think it's crazy to think that the Sox would add an extra $2 million and some low A ball prospect to if they really want to get Manny.

QUOTE (Kalapse @ Aug 3, 2010 -> 08:17 PM)
Linebrink over his last 11 outings: 10.2 IP 8H, 2BB, 8K, 0.937 WHIP, 0.84 ERA

He's good now, go ahead claim him off waivers. You're getting a good arm. Do it.

We all know Linebrink is not going anywhere. He is Peavy's buddy and has helped Floyd. Good clubhouse guy.

Mannywood Credit: AP

Source: Los Angeles Times

Finishing his Dodgers career in "silence and pain," Manny Ramirez' comfortable corner of Chavez Ravine is history. Mannywood is now Deadwood, the Dodgers ill-conceived tribute to [Ramirez] serving as a metaphor for the man himself. The two previously rollicking sections in the left-field corner at Dodger Stadium now have the hollow look of a party gone bad. "Manny had us going for a while," said Oscar Chavez, 28, celebrating his birthday there Tuesday night with eight easily obtained tickets for his family. "But now he's done." And the Dodgers, it seems, are finally done with him, having torn down the Mannywood signs during the last trip, replacing them with billboards advertising an insurance company and the Dodgers' flagship radio station.

Just a follow up post on Manny. Seems they pulled Mannywood cause they were sick of Manny not to pay the additional 7 Mil taken on at the deadline like someone had suggested. It looks like more and more the Dogers are done with ManRam. IMO it's just a question to when he goes and which team claims him

QUOTE (BigSqwert @ Aug 4, 2010 -> 10:09 AM)
I guess Kotsay is our DH the rest of the way.

There will be other bats available too. Or, the second worst case scenario probably involves Teahen taking over for Kotsay. Of course, the worst case scenario involves Kotsay remaining the DH for the rest of the season.

QUOTE (Frank_Thomas35 @ Aug 4, 2010 -> 11:24 AM)
Not to mention you can trade guys who are on the DL (see Jake Peavy). I don't think this says manny is staying by any means.

Jake Peavy was traded because the Sox wanted him for this year and the years to come, and they were hopeful that he may be able to contribute come late August (that obviously didn't happen, but he did make it back). Manny is a free agent after this season, so he's not going to be acquired by anyone if the team doesn't know if he's going to be healthy or not. It does (virtually) assure him of clearing waivers though, so a late August addition may be possible.