Threets has torn UCL, will need Tommy John

Wanne

QUOTE (Elgin Slim @ Aug 28, 2010 -> 02:52 PM)
Just heard on the Score that he needs Tommy John surgery after the MRI showed a torn UCL.

This sucks. we now only have Sale as a lhp out of the pen.

Are you serious? I just read in the newspaper that he was only taken out as a precaution. He really has a torn UCL??? This sucks!

QUOTE (Elgin Slim @ Aug 28, 2010 -> 01:52 PM)
Just heard on the Score that he needs Tommy John surgery after the MRI showed a torn UCL.

well that sucks ass...

QUOTE (Real @ Aug 28, 2010 -> 03:02 PM)
Again, keep telling me we have this amazing medical, strength and conditioning staff

So uh, Thornton might be back in 8 or 9 days because it was retroactive placement right?

Blaming his injury on the Sox staff might be one of the most ridiculous statements of all time. He was an injury that has happened and was waiting to happen. So is Sale for that matter, and if Thornton blows out his elbow, it won't be the first time. Just about every pitcher is going to have some big issues eventually. Some sooner than others. Very few play 10-15 years anymore unscathed.

QUOTE (fathom @ Aug 28, 2010 -> 03:19 PM)
Torres recalled...it's crazy how active the Twins have been picking up relievers, yet we're the ones who really need help right now.

talk about 20/20 hindsight fathom, that is totally ridiculous. 3 relievers, 2 of them of the shutdown variety in putz and thornton, go down in a span of a week and you criticize management for not going after more relievers?

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ Aug 28, 2010 -> 08:25 PM)
talk about 20/20 hindsight fathom, that is totally ridiculous. 3 relievers, 2 of them of the shutdown variety in putz and thornton, go down in a span of a week and you criticize management for not going after more relievers?

I wasn't criticizing, as there's no need for another lefty reliever in the pen if Thornton comes back. I was just observing that you rarely see teams makeover their bullpen as much as the Twins have done in the last 4 weeks. Hopefully we have no more bullpen injuries.

QUOTE (fathom @ Aug 28, 2010 -> 01:31 PM)
I wasn't criticizing, as there's no need for another lefty reliever in the pen if Thornton comes back. I was just observing that you rarely see teams makeover their bullpen as much as the Twins have done in the last 4 weeks. Hopefully we have no more bullpen injuries.

good to see that he threw pain free yesterday playing catch. next week a bullpen session. The man throws the ball hard and has been leaned on heavy. I just hope he bounces back. And it's a damn good thing that Putz' problem is his knee and not his arm.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Aug 28, 2010 -> 03:32 PM)
I think KW probably would have at least claimed Fuentes considering the shambles the bullpen is in if he didn't possibly have over $4 million possibly tied up with Manny.

They also supposedly claimed Hoffman, but I haven't heard anything else about it.

QUOTE (Elgin Slim @ Aug 28, 2010 -> 01:52 PM)

I honestly thought you were kidding and had everyone else fooled.. Wow.

That's sad at how many pitchers go down in a given season.

This has nothing to do with Threets, but a possible theory is pitchers get overworked so much in youth leagues and high school ball, that by the time they are on pitch counts in the bigs, their arms are timebombs just waiting to go off at some point.

Will Brandon McCarthy ever come back from his shoulder surgery? I bet that's doubtful. So many pitchers. Sad for them.

I'd love to see a thread asking Sox talkers to discuss their days as a pitcher. What's the most pitches you ever threw in a LL or Babe Ruth or Pony League or high school game or American Legion and did you ever need surgery or does your arm still hurt at times?

Edited by greg775

QUOTE (Dizzy Sox @ Aug 28, 2010 -> 08:23 PM)
Wow, bad news for Threets, who was finally having some success at the big leauge level. Best of luck to him.

Indeed, well at least he gets to collect that big league pay check for a while. when he comes back we could be looking at another matt thornton situation again!, he'll be 30 and i might be mistaken but he will still have 6 years of service.

Edited by beautox

Threets seemed to have turned the corner after an injury plagued career, but this is aterribler setback for the guy. He wants to try a comeback, which you know is the mind and heart of any bal player, but we won't see anything from Eric for 12 to 18 months most likely. It's sad for im and the Sox. Now we have a real beat up bullpen and are 4 1/2 out

QUOTE (greg775 @ Aug 28, 2010 -> 10:56 PM)
That's sad at how many pitchers go down in a given season.

This has nothing to do with Threets, but a possible theory is pitchers get overworked so much in youth leagues and high school ball, that by the time they are on pitch counts in the bigs, their arms are timebombs just waiting to go off at some point.

Will Brandon McCarthy ever come back from his shoulder surgery? I bet that's doubtful. So many pitchers. Sad for them.

I'd love to see a thread asking Sox talkers to discuss their days as a pitcher. What's the most pitches you ever threw in a LL or Babe Ruth or Pony League or high school game or American Legion and did you ever need surgery or does your arm still hurt at times?

I don't know if it is overworked, but some guys I just think are built to pitch and are durable physically. The motions you put on your arm at the shoulder, elbow, forearm, etc are not the how the human body is meant to do. Throwing breaking balls over and over over the course of many many years will cause injury in some while others can keep on going and not miss a beat. SOme guys are freaks of nature like Nolan Ryan was, but a lot end up like Kerry Wood or Stasburg and need work done in order to keep them pitching. It is sad.