The Manram Thread

hi8is

I'd rather leave Rios in the 3 spot as he looks to be back. Manny will give Konerko some protection in the 5 spot as well. Either way, it is so nice to have a legit hitter at DH instead of Kotsay. Even if we miss the playoffs (which would suck), I have to respect KW's desire to win.

Edited by IamtheHBOMB

• Replies 201
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

File this in the "why does this not surprise me" file.

ESPN - past midnight - John Kruk says Manny would have been better as a relief pitcher which is what the Sox really needs. Bobby V called it "a desperation act" and "it won't help much."

Just sayin'.

Chumps.

QUOTE (OilCan @ Aug 31, 2010 -> 12:24 AM)

ESPN - past midnight - John Kruk says Manny would have been better as a relief pitcher which is what the Sox really needs. Bobby V called it "a desperation act" and "it won't help much."

Just sayin'.

Chumps.

ESPN feeds so many lies to America.

Edited by chw42

QUOTE (CaliSoxFanViaSWside @ Aug 31, 2010 -> 01:58 AM)
Manny is money when he's going for the money but can his body still do it ? We really need a Minny mini-slump to get within 2 games fairly soon. Can't hover around 4 or more back for too much longer. It's a tough row to hoe right now with the pen in shambles.

You should be a poet, sir!

QUOTE (OilCan @ Aug 31, 2010 -> 02:24 AM)

Just sayin'.

Chumps.

that's really stupid, considering this has been a month in the works

QUOTE (JoeCoolMan24 @ Aug 31, 2010 -> 01:30 AM)
MLB Network seems to like us unless maybe that's just Harold Reynolds.

Harold Reynolds, as well as Steve Phillips have always treated us fairly well in regards to the national media. Otherwise, yeah, we are pretty much an afterthought.

QUOTE (ScottyDo @ Aug 31, 2010 -> 07:06 AM)
that's really stupid, considering this has been a month in the works

Funny how Oz, KW, Paulie, all said we didn't need to make a move. The perception was they were worried about chemistry. Now a faceplant later, we did need a bat they decided (not to mention another arm to go with Sale) and we bring in Manny. That one stretch of 0-for-19 or whatever it was ended all hope Viciedo was ready, since he was going to swing at everything at least at this young age.

Hope it's not too late. Four games, as you know, is a bundle this time of year. We can't afford to let it get to six or you can forgetaboutit. The Twinsies aren't going to blow a six-game lead.

I'm sure Oz is at the point he's gonna give Linebrink some chances after tonight's excellence.

Edited by greg775

http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/columns/stor...&id=5512674

Jayson Stark article, not the most complimentary in the world but I guess we're going to have to get used to it...at least it's White Sox national publicity

One scout tells SN he questions why the White Sox are making the deal.

Two years ago, I respected his ability but not the way he treated the game. But he's not the same. For me, his bat is slower. He’s cheating to catch up (to fastballs). If you ask 10 scouts, nine of them would agree with me that he's not worth (what the White Sox will be paying).

"Put the negatives on one side, the positives on another, the negatives outweigh the positives. But beauty is in the eye of the beholder. He’s been there, and in the past he’s stepped up.

"When he got kicked out after one strike (Sunday), I thought it was like he didn’t want to hit. He did that on purpose. I think there’s some doubt in his mind that he can do it anymore."

Read more: http://www.sportingnews.com/mlb/feed/2010-...z#ixzz0yBwsCtHi

"I think Manny is a good get over a short, very short period of time -- if I had the financial capability to take on that money and the medical (reports) are OK," the GM said.

According to that GM, it comes down to one reason: "He can still hit and hit good pitching."

Ramirez's power numbers are down and his second-half numbers are pretty much zeroes across the board. But his .312 batting average and .404 on-base percentage in the 62 games he has played in are in line with his career numbers of .313 and .411. As usual, he has been even better with runners in scoring position (.352 average), lending credence to former teammate Johnny Damon's assertion that Ramirez is "the best two-out, runners-in-scoring position hitter I've ever seen."

Because his contract is up after this season, Ramirez has incentive to put on his happy cap and produce for a contender in September much like he did when he was shipped from Boston to LA at the nonwaiver trading deadline in 2008. Ramirez has less than six weeks to prove that, at 38, he is worth a contract for 2011.

Any club wanting Ramirez -- the Rays and Rangers also have rumored interest -- needs to have him on its roster by midnight on Aug. 31 for him to be eligible for the postseason.

Having Ramirez on a short-term basis might be best for a contender. The longer Ramirez stays in one place, the more he seems to wear out his welcome.

"You do have to be set up to handle the distractions he will eventually cause," the NL general manager said.

A veteran NL scout who saw Ramirez earlier this season doesn't believe he is worth the potential headaches, even on a short-term basis. "When I saw him, he wasn't catching up with above-average fastballs," the scout said. "And his body language looked like he didn't care. I wouldn't touch him."

Read more: http://www.sportingnews.com/mlb/feed/2010-...v#ixzz0yBxLUQdO

Is Manny a good addition for Chicago?

Yes. Manny and Ozzie are like long-lost brothers 17%

Yes. His bat is worth any trouble 19%

No. He and Ozzie will have to be separated 18%

No. He's got nothing left and he's trouble 47%

A more apt – and painful – comparison might be that Ramirez has hit a home run once every 24.5 at-bats this season and Thome has homered in Minnesota once every 12.7 of his 229 at-bats. At $3.5 million for a month of work — roughly $29,000 per at-bat if Ramirez gets 120 at-bats with the Sox — Ramirez needs to give his new team a better return on the investment than the Dodgers received.

Maybe Ramirez, as he has in the past, will be motivated by a change of scenery and a contract drive. Maybe he has one good spurt left. Or maybe Manny being Manny, post-steroids suspension, means being likely to take more trips to the disabled list than the barber.

Either way, I have a hard time seeing how Ramirez's presence or absence in the lineup affects the AL Central race more than the Sox's bullpen will.

Heading into Monday night's game against the Indians, no team in the majors had scored more runs than the Sox in August (141). Mark Teahen, whose at-bats will be limited now, was hitting .316 with a home run and seven RBIs since returning Aug. 13. Ozzie's Way was working.

Yet instead of either blocking the Twins from getting late-inning lefty Brian Fuentes with a waiver claim or keeping Fuentes for themselves, the Sox chased Ramirez. The Twins aren't obligated beyond the $1.5 million they will pay Fuentes the remainder of this season.

As the division leaders improved their late-inning relief pitching, the Sox, minus injured relievers Matt Thornton and J.J. Putz, were left to trust a failing bullpen that has been their biggest problem.

I'll save my Manny crush for whoever solves that.

david haugh/tribune.com

Edited by caulfield12

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Aug 31, 2010 -> 08:53 AM)
http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/columns/stor...&id=5512674

A veteran NL scout who saw Ramirez earlier this season doesn't believe he is worth the potential headaches, even on a short-term basis. "When I saw him, he wasn't catching up with above-average fastballs," the scout said. "And his body language looked like he didn't care. I wouldn't touch him."

What the f*** is wrong with these people? Of all NL players with as many plate appearances as him, he has the 4th highest OPS. If you wanna use his injury the last two months as an excuse, then go ahead, thats 100% legit. But stop acting like he didn't hit in April & May.

How is he not worth the potential headaches? You have him for a month, thats it. If he acts up and you fall out of the race, then just dump him. He has to care now, or he won't get a contract next season. The Sox playoff odds are already so low, its not like they are in the lead and he can cost them the division.

Its like people just don't like him, so they talk s*** about him and ignore all facts.

QUOTE (chw42 @ Aug 31, 2010 -> 12:26 AM)
ESPN feeds so many lies to America.

QUOTE (JoeCoolMan24 @ Aug 31, 2010 -> 01:30 AM)
MLB Network seems to like us unless maybe that's just Harold Reynolds.

I see no reason to tune in ESPN much these days. If I want my MLB update, there's a network to that with impartial analysts who cover everything from the Pirates to the Yankees. If I want NFL, I'll go to their network... NBA - no question their network, I love that one. NHL, don't even bother because ESPN isn't aware of its existence.

Well, this is probably going to go one of two ways:

1.) The people talking s*** about Manny around the league will be right and we'll see a shell of the player that was Manny Ramirez.

or

2.) Manny will feed off of this barrage of trash talk, earn his money for next year, and tear the AL apart throughout September.

I want the second option.

QUOTE (Steve9347 @ Aug 31, 2010 -> 09:50 AM)
I see no reason to tune in ESPN much these days. If I want my MLB update, there's a network to that with impartial analysts who cover everything from the Pirates to the Yankees. If I want NFL, I'll go to their network... NBA - no question their network, I love that one. NHL, don't even bother because ESPN isn't aware of its existence.

doesnt the perfect mullet reside at ESPN?

QUOTE (Milkman delivers @ Aug 31, 2010 -> 11:00 AM)
Well, this is probably going to go one of two ways:

1.) The people talking s*** about Manny around the league will be right and we'll see a shell of the player that was Manny Ramirez.

or

2.) Manny will feed off of this barrage of trash talk, earn his money for next year, and tear the AL apart throughout September.

I want the second option.

Really? You don't want him suck?

QUOTE (TheBigHurt @ Aug 31, 2010 -> 03:25 PM)
I love how the guy hasn't played in 4 days, we're at theass end of a tight pennant race and he's sitting tonight out. How absolutely asinine.

making them look silly.