Official Squared Circle Thread

QUOTE (Brian @ Jul 12, 2011 -> 04:53 PM)
I like the Real World Champ idea for the angle.

If Punk re-signs, can he really take time off? He is hot and uber over right now. Don't want to risk him fading out with time out.

It would be a BAD idea to cool the angle, IMO. Look how dead and buried the Rock/Cena thing is already. If Punk is staying, he needs to win the title and let Cena take some time off (AND STAY AWAY FOR MORE THAN A WEEK THIS TIME) or steal the belt and defend it in ROH (sending promos to Vince the entire time) while WWE guys invade ROH shows to try to get it back (all conveniently televised for WWE programming, of course).

I wouldn't mind the Real World Champ angle, either, and I would like to see a heel Cena - although I don't know how you do that without turning Punk face. I like Punk so much better as a heel, it's way more natural for him.

• Replies 6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

QUOTE (fathom @ Jul 12, 2011 -> 05:02 PM)
Got my tickets today, looking forward to that last match as much as any match I've attended live. I do love the references to Punk riding down on the side of Cena's car back in 2006 at WM.

I'm excited for the 2 ladder matches and the two title matches. I'm close enough to get a nice look at Kelly Kelly in person but ugh. And Big Show/Henry? Ugh again.

Where is everyone sitting? I'm in Section 110, Row E

QUOTE (Brian @ Jul 12, 2011 -> 05:10 PM)
I'm excited for the 2 ladder matches and the two title matches. I'm close enough to get a nice look at Kelly Kelly in person but ugh. And Big Show/Henry? Ugh again.

Where is everyone sitting? I'm in Section 110, Row E

I'm mildly interested in how they're having Henry make Show look vulnerable. Henry's promos are better than I can ever remember (I know, faint praise) but Show's been over-acting with that trembly angry face thing.

Never was a fan of Henry. Maybe that's because they always underused him. Maybe they did that because he was always injured. Either way, Punk/Cena has a WM main event feeling to it which to me, they haven't had in a long time.

Sad that Punk is leaving. I think he meant it when he said on Raw that he's burnt out and tired from it all. Punk/Cena is the best angle they've had in awhile simply because it's really about the two of them and Vince. No Nexxus storyline, not Cena Nation storyline, and no pro-Vince storyline. All of them have been made to look as bad guys.

I must say though, Punk's been cutting the best promo's I've seen from a wrestler in years. If he were to come back I think the fans would cheer him so much, that he would be a good guy with a bad guy persona like Austin was.

Only way Punk could stay and remain a bad guy is if he was in cahoots with Vince McMahon and he becomes his corporate champion.

Edited by nitetrain8601

QUOTE (The Critic @ Jul 12, 2011 -> 05:03 PM)
It would be a BAD idea to cool the angle, IMO. Look how dead and buried the Rock/Cena thing is already. If Punk is staying, he needs to win the title and let Cena take some time off (AND STAY AWAY FOR MORE THAN A WEEK THIS TIME) or steal the belt and defend it in ROH (sending promos to Vince the entire time) while WWE guys invade ROH shows to try to get it back (all conveniently televised for WWE programming, of course).

I wouldn't mind the Real World Champ angle, either, and I would like to see a heel Cena - although I don't know how you do that without turning Punk face. I like Punk so much better as a heel, it's way more natural for him.

As for the bad idea to cool the angle. I can see where you're coming from, but at the same time I think you wanna sell the fact that if Punk wins, he's running away with the title. Maybe I wouldn't have him disappear completely but rather him do the ROH thing like you said & not actually appear on "WWE TV" but make it aware he has the title still. After about 6 weeks or so, I would then have Vince bring Cena back to be the superhero & getting the title back for the WWE.

As for Punk being face, the reaction he got on Monday shows he can be that "tweener" that SCSA perfected. He's not a face really, but he's awesome enough that you wanna cheer him.

QUOTE (MHizzle85 @ Jul 12, 2011 -> 09:59 PM)
As for the bad idea to cool the angle. I can see where you're coming from, but at the same time I think you wanna sell the fact that if Punk wins, he's running away with the title. Maybe I wouldn't have him disappear completely but rather him do the ROH thing like you said & not actually appear on "WWE TV" but make it aware he has the title still. After about 6 weeks or so, I would then have Vince bring Cena back to be the superhero & getting the title back for the WWE.

As for Punk being face, the reaction he got on Monday shows he can be that "tweener" that SCSA perfected. He's not a face really, but he's awesome enough that you wanna cheer him.

I don't want them to overplay it like I feel they did with Nexus, but I think this is a short-term angle so stalling it would kill a lot of its heat. They have to be careful how they pace it, and I feel like this is an easy angle to blow. I worry that Vince is going to want some "WOW Moment" at MITB and will sacrifice the angle for some immediate payoff (like HHH running in or some such crap).

When I say I don't want Punk being a face, I mean I don't want them to have him pander to the crowd. The crowd will decide, as Jim Ross loves to say, but I just want them to let Punk be Punk and let the crowd do what they want in response.

Edited by The Critic

QUOTE (The Critic @ Jul 13, 2011 -> 02:50 AM)
I don't want them to overplay it like I feel they did with Nexus, but I think this is a short-term angle so stalling it would kill a lot of its heat. They have to be careful how they pace it, and I feel like this is an easy angle to blow. I worry that Vince is going to want some "WOW Moment" at MITB and will sacrifice the angle for some immediate payoff (like HHH running in or some such crap).

When I say I don't want Punk being a face, I mean I don't want them to have him pander to the crowd. The crowd will decide, as Jim Ross loves to say, but I just want them to let Punk be Punk and let the crowd do what they want in response.

I somehow see this happening. The WWE has the best angle they've run in quite some time (at least since the intitial Nexus forming) & they could completely blow it.

QUOTE (MHizzle85 @ Jul 13, 2011 -> 03:49 PM)
I somehow see this happening. The WWE has the best angle they've run in quite some time (at least since the intitial Nexus forming) & they WILL completely blow it.

Fixed it for you.