Job Hunt Thread

dasox24

QUOTE (BigSqwert @ May 12, 2011 -> 03:46 PM)
On the bolded above, I applied for over 40 openings last year and had one interview out of all that. This year I've already had 3 different organizations invite me in for an interview.

I hear ya! I am getting more calls too. Things definitely seem to be happening out there and it's about damn time! :)

• Replies 2.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (The Gooch @ May 12, 2011 -> 01:01 PM)
They don't seem to realize that they lose a lot of good talent by waiting so long sometimes.

I flew out to DC to interview with the DSCC for a research position in January and they said they would get back to me in 4 weeks. Flash forward all the way to April, I finally get a call back - and this is after I had already accepted a position on a campaign in Missouri. Granted I've never had to do the hiring but I am shocked by how long it takes for some of these positions to be filled (note: most federal positions I was looking at said it would take 12-18 months to run a 'check' before an applicant would be hired).

Had my interview in Portland yesterday. Great city. The office is located in the Pearl District, which is pretty similar to some areas of Chicago, perhaps some streets in Lincoln Park. Buildings they are leasing space in are very cool, offices were modern yet mixed into a historical foundation (brick walls, hardwood floors, etc.). I interviewed with 4 people, all separately, which I found to be better than the "everyone tag teams you at once" approach. Then they brought me over to the actual room I would be working in. Very cool...got to meet a few members of their team, which is a diverse mix of people from different backgrounds. People from the marketing side of the industry, meteorologists, and even a former air-traffic controller.

Think I did about as well as I could have. Felt like I made a connection with all four people I interviewed with. Most of the questions were fairly easy; I felt like they were putting the ball on the tee for me much of the time, versus trying to trap or trick me. Of course, I refuse to simply say whatever it is I think they want to hear, and go with a more honest approach. Sometimes it works, sometimes I guess it doesn't, but when I was on the other side of the table, I always looked for honesty rather than someone just trying to schmooze me.

Said a decision will probably come towards the end of the month. Obviously, things come up and they have other duties other than just hiring employees, so sometimes these timelines don't exactly hold. So who knows.

Just feel good knowing I did my best.

Explored the city a bit with friends afterwards. Had some great food, visited some great bars, and walked around and saw all the local stores and restaurants, etc. Very cool city. Saw my friend's place as well, which is up on a hill and has an amazing view of the city below and Mt Hood off in the distance, as well as the Willamette River.

There are some things I would miss about Vegas, but I really miss the culture in Chicago, and going somewhere like Portland, that offers a bit of that culture, along with a more vibrant base of young professionals would definitely be something I could enjoy.

So now I wait...

QUOTE (iamshack @ May 17, 2011 -> 01:58 PM)
Had my interview in Portland yesterday. Great city. The office is located in the Pearl District, which is pretty similar to some areas of Chicago, perhaps some streets in Lincoln Park. Buildings they are leasing space in are very cool, offices were modern yet mixed into a historical foundation (brick walls, hardwood floors, etc.). I interviewed with 4 people, all separately, which I found to be better than the "everyone tag teams you at once" approach. Then they brought me over to the actual room I would be working in. Very cool...got to meet a few members of their team, which is a diverse mix of people from different backgrounds. People from the marketing side of the industry, meteorologists, and even a former air-traffic controller.

Think I did about as well as I could have. Felt like I made a connection with all four people I interviewed with. Most of the questions were fairly easy; I felt like they were putting the ball on the tee for me much of the time, versus trying to trap or trick me. Of course, I refuse to simply say whatever it is I think they want to hear, and go with a more honest approach. Sometimes it works, sometimes I guess it doesn't, but when I was on the other side of the table, I always looked for honesty rather than someone just trying to schmooze me.

Said a decision will probably come towards the end of the month. Obviously, things come up and they have other duties other than just hiring employees, so sometimes these timelines don't exactly hold. So who knows.

Just feel good knowing I did my best.

Explored the city a bit with friends afterwards. Had some great food, visited some great bars, and walked around and saw all the local stores and restaurants, etc. Very cool city. Saw my friend's place as well, which is up on a hill and has an amazing view of the city below and Mt Hood off in the distance, as well as the Willamette River.

There are some things I would miss about Vegas, but I really miss the culture in Chicago, and going somewhere like Portland, that offers a bit of that culture, along with a more vibrant base of young professionals would definitely be something I could enjoy.

So now I wait...

Awesome and good luck!!

QUOTE (Y2HH @ May 17, 2011 -> 02:29 PM)
You'll never make it big out of Seattle unless you 1) learn the guitar and 2) live out of your car.

Portland, not Seattle. Don't confuse them, the Portland mayor will come after you.

Ok people, here's my scenario...

I had a phone screen interview with Company A on Monday that I thought went very well. The recruiter and I really hit it off, and she is going to get back to me later this week after discussing me to the local hiring manager to let me know if they want me to come in for an in-person interview next week.

Here's my problem. I have an in-person interview on Thursday this week with Company B. And I think based on a conversation that I already had with the hiring manager and HR that there is a good chance I will be getting a job offer.

I would really like to interview with the Company A too though, but I don't yet know if that will even happen. If it does, it could mean more money and possibly a better position than Company B.

What do you do in this situation? Is there really some way I could get Company B to give me time to think it over while I go and interview with Company A? Mind you, I have been out of work since April last year, so I really don't need to be turning down job offers right now but of course, I want to give myself the best opportunity. I also don't think it would be very wise to tell Company B that I also have an interview planned with Company A.

Thoughts?

QUOTE (Y2HH @ Mar 28, 2011 -> 12:31 PM)
It's a long standing problem in IT from the point of view of the college graduate (is what I meant), especially in my area. I work with firewalls and perimeter security, and getting into this area of focus was pure luck as I had no prior experience with firewalls. Nobody will even think about hiring a security engineer without experience, and there are no "junior" level security positions...at least there have been none of them at any company I've ever worked for...and being able to get experience is next to impossible unless someone decides to teach you.

I don't necessarily disagree with it, it is what it is...experience trumps education. But that said, it's a problem for college graduates in the IT industry...because it's one of the few industries that really doesn't care about college degrees...and it never really has. Counter example, you'll never meet a dentist, doctor, chemist, etc...without a college degree.

depends. top software engineering companies (microsoft, IBM, google, ect) take education very serious. computer science degree from a top school is important. the financial industry also will pay to get top computer science grads.

QUOTE (Art Vandelay @ May 17, 2011 -> 09:16 PM)

I had a phone screen interview with Company A on Monday that I thought went very well. The recruiter and I really hit it off, and she is going to get back to me later this week after discussing me to the local hiring manager to let me know if they want me to come in for an in-person interview next week.

Here's my problem. I have an in-person interview on Thursday this week with Company B. And I think based on a conversation that I already had with the hiring manager and HR that there is a good chance I will be getting a job offer.

I would really like to interview with the Company A too though, but I don't yet know if that will even happen. If it does, it could mean more money and possibly a better position than Company B.

What do you do in this situation? Is there really some way I could get Company B to give me time to think it over while I go and interview with Company A? Mind you, I have been out of work since April last year, so I really don't need to be turning down job offers right now but of course, I want to give myself the best opportunity. I also don't think it would be very wise to tell Company B that I also have an interview planned with Company A.

Thoughts?

I would see how the interview goes with B. If B makes you an offer on the spot, I'd tell them you'd like the weekend to consider it. See if A calls to set up an interview during that time. If so, I'd try and set it up ASAP. Maybe you could get an interview scheduled for Monday morning. You've got to be able to explain that you are very interested in the position, but that you've got another offer on the table. Problem is, that's not something you can say until you at least do the interview.

It's bad timing, but I agree, you can't pass up A to wait for B. Best you can do is try to get in a position where B realizes they have to move quickly because they want you, but you may not have that luxury.

QUOTE (Art Vandelay @ May 17, 2011 -> 09:16 PM)

Thoughts?

Start by telling Company A (in a professional, careful way) that you do have another company you are interviewing with. Tell them you really like them (A), so you are very excited about continuing the process with them. This may help them speed up things on their end, and allow you to be in a position to have possibly two offers around the same time.

Just had a really great phone interview. It was my first interview, well ever.... I think. I was never really interviewed for my current job, it was kind of handed to me. I learned a few things and need to come up with better answers for a few questions I am sure to face in the future.

I mentioned that I interviewed with the St. Louis Rams for a marketing internship over the phone, and they said they would get back to me Friday. I got a call back yesterday from the woman that interviewed me and she offered me the position. I have till Friday to accept the unpaid internship.

Personally, I think it is great experience to be able to go and get experience, especially in this economy. I don't have much else in terms of work experience so this will be fitting. My concern is mostly financially based and that I would have trouble finding housing down in St. Louis. My family supports me over this although I have heard people say I shouldn't do it since it is far away and doing something without pay or college credit (since I am graduating) might be difficult.

QUOTE (Athomeboy_2000 @ May 18, 2011 -> 01:43 PM)
Just had a really great phone interview. It was my first interview, well ever.... I think. I was never really interviewed for my current job, it was kind of handed to me. I learned a few things and need to come up with better answers for a few questions I am sure to face in the future.

I'd recommend getting a book on interviewing if you have no experience in performing them. They have tons of sample questions that you're likely to get and good ways to answer them.

QUOTE (MuckFinnesota @ May 18, 2011 -> 02:28 PM)
I mentioned that I interviewed with the St. Louis Rams for a marketing internship over the phone, and they said they would get back to me Friday. I got a call back yesterday from the woman that interviewed me and she offered me the position. I have till Friday to accept the unpaid internship.

Personally, I think it is great experience to be able to go and get experience, especially in this economy. I don't have much else in terms of work experience so this will be fitting. My concern is mostly financially based and that I would have trouble finding housing down in St. Louis. My family supports me over this although I have heard people say I shouldn't do it since it is far away and doing something without pay or college credit (since I am graduating) might be difficult.

Doors in sports are few and far between. Do you have any idea what the % chance is that if you are an excellent employee, it could turn into a full time gig at some point? It is a term internship?

What hours would you work? Any way you could do something part time to have some money? How much would your parents help? Do you know anyone that may know anyone in St. Louis you could kind of live with for cheap? Maybe even another employee? That's been done before.

Finances may make this impossible for you, but if it's not impossible, don't close the door on it.

Edited by IlliniKrush