Alexei Ramirez

elrockinMT

Sox shortstop Ramirez earns all-star recognition

October 20, 2010 12:37 PM | No Comments

By Mark Gonzales

White Sox shortstop Alexei Ramirez was named Wednesday to The Sporting News' American League all-star team.

Ramirez, 29, batted .282 with 29 doubles, 18 home runs and 70 RBIs in 156 games. Ramirez is the third shortstop in Sox's history to receive this honor.

Luke Appling (1936, 1940 and 1943) and Luis Aparicio (1968-70) are the only other Sox shortstops to win this honor.

Ramirez led all AL shortstops in batting average, home runs, slugging percentage (.431) and total bases (252) - making him a strong candidate to win the league's Silver Slugger Award awarded to the top offensive player at each position.

Ramirez led the AL with 768 total chances, the most by a Sox shortstop since manager Ozzie Guillen handled 806 chances in 1989.

Ramirez is the first Sox player to be named to TSN's AL all-star team since third baseman Joe Crede and outfielder Jermaine Dye in 2006.

It'd probably be pretty funny if you looked at my posts on Alexei's defense last year (which at the time were accurate) and what I think of him this year. Complete 180, because his defensive game has done a complete 180. It wasn't just me either, even notoriously sunshiny guys like 2K5 were saying "he is physically gifted but as long as he is a bonehead it will keep him from being elite."

Very nice!..... ihope hes put higher in the order next year (im pretty high right now so i mist share information because i love it so much) how awesome would it be to just go all out on carl crawford and go out there with

1. Pierre CF

2. Beckham 2b

3. Crawford LF

4. Rios RF

5. Ramirez SS

6. Damon DH

7. Dayan 1B

8. AJ C

9. Morel 3B

i think that team would be entertaining as hell

QUOTE (2nd_city_saint787 @ Oct 20, 2010 -> 11:00 PM)
Very nice!..... ihope hes put higher in the order next year (im pretty high right now so i mist share information because i love it so much) how awesome would it be to just go all out on carl crawford and go out there with

1. Pierre CF - .700 OPS

2. Beckham 2b .825 OPS

3. Crawford LF .850 OPS

4. Rios RF .850 OPS

5. Ramirez SS .800 OPS

6. Damon DH .775 OPS

7. Dayan 1B - .800 OPS

8. AJ C - .725 OPS

9. Morel 3B - .750 OPS

i think that team would be entertaining as hell

And crazy expensive, and probably bad. I've put in what I feel would be pretty optimistic offensive outputs. Seeing those, I would say the most the team would win would be 90 games. Considering that, and then considering that most of those guys won't sniff those numbers, I'd say you have to assume that team would barely scratch .500.

You can't suddenly forget about power, and when the most powerful bat is a guy who doesn't draw walks and is going to be like 22 years old and hitting 7th? You're screwed.

I also don't think Damon should be anywhere near the Sox radar. He's going to cost $6-8 million again, and he's probably only going to put up a .750 OPS again. The Sox can do a hell of a lot better than that.

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Oct 20, 2010 -> 11:38 PM)
And crazy expensive, and probably bad. I've put in what I feel would be pretty optimistic offensive outputs. Seeing those, I would say the most the team would win would be 90 games. Considering that, and then considering that most of those guys won't sniff those numbers, I'd say you have to assume that team would barely scratch .500.

You can't suddenly forget about power, and when the most powerful bat is a guy who doesn't draw walks and is going to be like 22 years old and hitting 7th? You're screwed.

I also don't think Damon should be anywhere near the Sox radar. He's going to cost $6-8 million again, and he's probably only going to put up a .750 OPS again. The Sox can do a hell of a lot better than that.

And you're being pretty nice in some of those projections as well. Not to be a complete jackass, but that's a bad lineup, there's really no other way to put it.

EDIT: Guess I should read before I write as you said you were putting in optimistic projections in your 2nd damn sentence. :bang

QUOTE (nitetrain8601 @ Oct 20, 2010 -> 07:11 PM)
Alexeiiiiiiiiiiii.....YESSSSSSSSSSSSS YESSSSSSS YESSSSSSSSS YESSSSSSSS[/hawk]

Probably one of the most underrated players in the game. No one ever talks about him. Sadly, he probably won't end up with the GG.

I have been saying this for weeks now. This needs to be part of Alexi Giannoulias campaign.

QUOTE (lostfan @ Oct 20, 2010 -> 08:24 PM)
It'd probably be pretty funny if you looked at my posts on Alexei's defense last year (which at the time were accurate) and what I think of him this year. Complete 180, because his defensive game has done a complete 180. It wasn't just me either, even notoriously sunshiny guys like 2K5 were saying "he is physically gifted but as long as he is a bonehead it will keep him from being elite."

Yup, I was dead wrong on that one. After his 2009, I was concerned that Alexei wasn't making progress defensively. But he was far better in 2010, for whatever combination of reasons.

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Oct 21, 2010 -> 07:35 AM)
Yup, I was dead wrong on that one. After his 2009, I was concerned that Alexei wasn't making progress defensively. But he was far better in 2010, for whatever combination of reasons.

Omar has to have alot to do with it. You could see Alexei specifically emulating him at time in his positioning and quick release.

QUOTE (lostfan @ Oct 20, 2010 -> 08:24 PM)

I believe my description was an ADHD Hummingbird. Omars signing was the best one of the last year.

QUOTE (Buehrlesque @ Oct 21, 2010 -> 10:14 AM)
Quick question about Alexei. When his contract is up after next year, does he go into arbitration years, or does he become a full free agent? I assume its arbitration, but I just want to make sure.

Your assumption is correct.