2010 World Series: Rangers vs. Giants

Brian

• Replies 172
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (knightni @ Oct 27, 2010 -> 04:11 AM)
They need to start the season earlier. There's no reason to have Game 1 only four days before Halloween.

March baseball still troubles me. It'd make sense if you were intelligent about your scheduling and sent everyone south or to domes for the first week or so, or if you wait about 5-10 years.

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ Oct 27, 2010 -> 12:06 PM)
The Giants put down more sacrifice bunts this year than anybody except the Dodgers and Padres. The Rangers dropped more sacrifice bunts than anybody in the American League.

Wow, you mean playing unselfish baseball wins games? What a concept! Seems to me we did that circa: 2005 as well. :unsure:

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ Oct 27, 2010 -> 12:06 PM)
The Giants put down more sacrifice bunts this year than anybody except the Dodgers and Padres. The Rangers dropped more sacrifice bunts than anybody in the American League.

QUOTE (balfanman @ Oct 27, 2010 -> 12:41 PM)
Wow, you mean playing unselfish baseball wins games? What a concept! Seems to me we did that circa: 2005 as well. :unsure:

just to prevent any confusion on these points (MLB ranks)...

Texas - 5th in R, 8th in OPS

San Francisco - 17th in R, 17th in OPS

The 3 teams behind San Francisco were Houston, New York (N), and Washington. The next 3 teams in the AL were Chicago, Kansas City, and Oakland.

There's no correlation between sacrifice bunting and scoring runs in general, and it's coincidental that both of these two teams were so proficient at bunting into outs and made it to the World Series.

QUOTE (kapkomet @ Oct 27, 2010 -> 12:39 AM)
The local media has picked up the fact that Lee pretty much likes how things are here. It'll be interesting if $50+ million over a 5 year contract speaks louder, because you know whatever the Rangers offers the Yankmees will add +1-2 more years and $10 million + per year (aka at least $50 million) to the contract. In fact, I bet you they'd give him $200 million over 5 years. Yea, $40 million per year. It wouldn't surprise me.

So tonight he gets hit HARD.

He's great; he's awesome, but he's not worth what the Yankees will pay him.

He's human like every pitcher.

Oh well, it's their money.

Juan Uribe WS MVP??

Edited by greg775

QUOTE (greg775 @ Oct 27, 2010 -> 10:20 PM)
So tonight he gets hit HARD.

He's great; he's awesome, but he's not worth what the Yankees will pay him.

He's human like every pitcher.

Oh well, it's their money.

Juan Uribe WS MVP??

That would be an awfully odd choice if Texas wins in 5

Juan Uribe brings a tear to my eye...happy for him. And honestly...he should still be here. They said Oz was saying to Bruce, "he'll be your best 3B...your best SS...your best 2B..." Then why the F did you let him go?!? Regardless...I'm an AL guy...but really wants Juan and SF to win this thing.

How do the radical NL haters on here who act like any performance in the NL (Richard, Hudson) doesn't mean squat because it's the NL, explain the Giants rouging up Lee tonight?

I grow tired of the NL is s*** argument.

NL 1, AL 0. And yes I still think Texas wins it in 6.

Edited by greg775

QUOTE (greg775 @ Oct 28, 2010 -> 03:44 AM)
How do the radical NL haters on here who act like any performance in the NL (Richard, Hudson) doesn't mean squat because it's the NL, explain the Giants rouging up Lee tonight?

really, a pitchers performance in the NL has nothing to do with a NL offense vs an AL pitcher. Your comparison doesnt make sense here

QUOTE (greg775 @ Oct 28, 2010 -> 03:44 AM)

It's a one-game variance and it shows that Cliff Lee is also capable of making mistakes. On average, Cliff Lee is expected to give up anywhere between 2-3 runs per 9 innings. One standard deviation from that to either side is 0-1 runs or 4-5 runs. Another a deviation away from that is 0 runs or 6-7 runs...and there you go.

Why do you incessantly call people out? One game doesn't mean a whole hell of a lot. Personally, I am more persuaded by the AL's 134-118 record this year in Interleague, or the 138-114 last year, or the 149-103 in 2008, or the 137-115 in 2007. They might be closing the gap, but they are still not as good as the AL. That's 558-450 over a 4 year period, or a .554 winning percentage, or an 89 win pace. The NL is still the AL's biotch.

Oh, and Clayton Richard pitched more than half of his games in the best pitchers park in the majors...quite frankly that has more to do with his good overall numbers than pitching in the NL, and to no one's surprise, his ERA at home was 3.15 and his ERA on the road was 4.41. I've pointed it out on a couple different occasions, but there is a reason his ERA+ was lower in San Diego last year (2009) than it was in Chicago when his ERA in Chicago was more than half a run higher.

Oh, and his ERA+ this year, even with a 3.75 ERA? 98. Speaking from a neutral context, Clayton Richard was a slightly below average pitcher this year.

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Oct 28, 2010 -> 09:40 AM)
Oh, and his ERA+ this year, even with a 3.75 ERA? 98.

Why would you ever bother telling something like this to Greg? Like Ozzie, he just uses his gut to form his opinions.

Edited by BigSqwert

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Oct 28, 2010 -> 09:43 AM)
"I have a gift and sooner or later I have to give it away.I have to share it. Hopefully I'll get the opportunity here."

-Barry Bonds, on his desire to become the hitting coach for the San Francisco Giants

Cream and clear for everyone!!! And there was much rejoicing!