Juan Uribe

kwill

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (lostfan @ Oct 28, 2010 -> 10:00 PM)
Uribe was the site's main whipping boy for all of 2007 and 2008 and while I didn't come here much in 2006, he probably drove people crazy then too. I think only Kotsay has been b****ed about more.

Mackowiak was a huge whipping boy in 2006. Everyone seemed to want Anderson to play and would get really angry if he wasn't in center field.

QUOTE (kjshoe04 @ Oct 28, 2010 -> 10:57 PM)
2008 was Swisher. Uribe was never the number one whipping boy.

But outside of 2004 he probably was always in the top 5 easily, maybe even the top 3. His four years from 2005-2008 gave him the longevity of a premiere whipping boy on this site. I remember when I first came on here Jose Valentin was a whipping boy in 2004.

QUOTE (WilliamTell @ Oct 28, 2010 -> 10:56 PM)
Mackowiak was a huge whipping boy in 2006. Everyone seemed to want Anderson to play and would get really angry if he wasn't in center field.

Mack wasnt a big whipping boy. He just was playing out of position. I liked the move to pickup Mack. I thought he would be great playing a backup role and playing corner OF. He would of been great in that role. Then of course he becomes our CF playing out of position and just goes into the dumper. He wasn't real comfortable with the position, and I think it affected his bat as well. Another example of the whitesox taking a role player and over exposing him, or playing them out of position. Hopefully that crap ends.

QUOTE (WilliamTell @ Oct 28, 2010 -> 11:56 PM)

I don't really remember Mackowiak being that much of a whipping boy, per se. I remember people being mad that he was playing in CF (and f***ing up b/c he was set up to fail), but he could handle a bat so people never really got that mad at him. I remember the next year people being mad at Erstad starting in CF though. Yuck.

QUOTE (WilliamTell @ Oct 28, 2010 -> 10:59 PM)
But outside of 2004 he probably was always in the top 5 easily, maybe even the top 3. His four years from 2005-2008 gave him the longevity of a premiere whipping boy on this site. I remember when I first came on here Jose Valentin was a whipping boy in 2004.

I remember the end of the Valentin era around here. I had a different name and like 14 posts under it before i forgot the name and password and signed up again.

QUOTE (lostfan @ Oct 29, 2010 -> 12:18 AM)
I don't really remember Mackowiak being that much of a whipping boy, per se. I remember people being mad that he was playing in CF (and f***ing up b/c he was set up to fail), but he could handle a bat so people never really got that mad at him. I remember the next year people being mad at Erstad starting in CF though. Yuck.

There's 2 different types of "whipping boys" here that we ought to distinguish. The first kind of whipping boy is the guy who is failing entirely because of himself. The guy who has the talent to be significantly better than what they are, and they're squandering that talent. That class includes guys like Swisher, Vazquez, Anderson, Joe Crede for much of his career, etc. Juan Uribe is in that category. He was a ridiculous bat for the first half of 04, but he never found that groove again and wound up never learning how to make adjustments to pitches when he was with us, so he'd be hitting in the low .200's and swinging for the fences all the time.

The 2nd type of whipping boy is the type that we're more pissed at the Sox for how they're using them. Sometimes we get so sick of their use that it erupts onto the person, but the real problem is how they're used. Rob Mackowiak, Darin Erstad, Mark Kotsay, a lot of Ozzie's "LOOGY"s come to mind there.

I remember feeling so sorry for Rob Mackowiack. He took it in stride and did the best he could, but he was just not a centerfielder. That season probably ruined his career. I have no idea how Ozzie thought that Mackowiak was even an option out there.

In hindsight, the Sox probably would of been better off keeping Willie Harris around as a backup if Anderson failed. Harris did have a couple of decent seasons for the Nationals.

This thread makes me think of a defensive infield that could have been: Uribe - 3b, Ramirez - SS, Beckham/Vizquel - 2b, Konerko - 1b. Absolute canons at 3b and SS, and some real solid gloves on the other side. And I don't understand the Rowand hate (or I guess its more indifference?) in this thread. People saying they could care less about Rowand while they root for Uribe. I'm pretty sure it was the opposite while they were here.

Uribe stepping in for Crede at 3rd in 2008 was, imo, the key to our winning the division that year. He could be maddening at the plate sometime, but he was one of KW's real steals (for Aaron Miles).

His late-inning D in WSG4 was absolutely astounding, and as has been said many times before, if Jeter had made those 3-4 plays, school children would be singing songs about them.

PROFUNDO!

QUOTE (PlaySumFnJurny @ Oct 29, 2010 -> 11:08 AM)
Uribe stepping in for Crede at 3rd in 2008 was, imo, the key to our winning the division that year. He could be maddening at the plate sometime, but he was one of KW's real steals (for Aaron Miles).

His late-inning D in WSG4 was absolutely astounding, and as has been said many times before, if Jeter had made those 3-4 plays, school children would be singing songs about them.

PROFUNDO!

Meh. But Uribe didn't take 3 or four steps before swan diving and breaking his face though. No blood!

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Oct 29, 2010 -> 08:20 AM)
There's 2 different types of "whipping boys" here that we ought to distinguish. The first kind of whipping boy is the guy who is failing entirely because of himself. The guy who has the talent to be significantly better than what they are, and they're squandering that talent. That class includes guys like Swisher, Vazquez, Anderson, Joe Crede for much of his career, etc. Juan Uribe is in that category. He was a ridiculous bat for the first half of 04, but he never found that groove again and wound up never learning how to make adjustments to pitches when he was with us, so he'd be hitting in the low .200's and swinging for the fences all the time.

The 2nd type of whipping boy is the type that we're more pissed at the Sox for how they're using them. Sometimes we get so sick of their use that it erupts onto the person, but the real problem is how they're used. Rob Mackowiak, Darin Erstad, Mark Kotsay, a lot of Ozzie's "LOOGY"s come to mind there.

Also DeWayne Wise (2nd category)

Edited by lostfan

QUOTE (lostfan @ Oct 29, 2010 -> 03:00 AM)
Uribe was the site's main whipping boy for all of 2007 and 2008 and while I didn't come here much in 2006, he probably drove people crazy then too. I think only Kotsay has been b****ed about more.

Great post.

I'd pay Uribe out of my own pocket if he we could get him back and dump Teahen.

Uribe is a blast to watch when he's not on your team. Watching him screw himself into the ground on occasion while swinging the bat is hilarious to watch when he's on the Giants but not so funny when he's on the Sox. Granted, he's having a great postseason and I'm certainly rooting for the guy but I'm glad he's gone. No doubt about it.