Sox Listening on Gavin?

DirtySox

QUOTE (bucket-of-suck @ Nov 17, 2010 -> 01:19 PM)
Gavin is gone and has been for a while. He's way to inconsistent and aloof. Gavin, Santos, Escobar + (low level prospect) to ARZ for Justin Upton or St Louis for Rasmus.

A 27 year old pitcher, making 2.7 million dollars who chewed up innings and had a 4 ERA. That my friends is what a lot of teams want. And something we would be stupid to give up. I guess betting on Jake Peavy and other associated stuff rounding out the rotation is better for people. Remember he was the 3rd best starter on the team last year. I find it humorous that people disliked him based on his lack of emotion. Sometimes I think fans would like a guy with a 5 ERA over Gavin as long as he screamed a bit, and maybe pointed to the sky. Style points only I guess.

Its real simple. If you give up Gavin, who is under control and is valuable you better be getting something of impact back.

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (southsideirish71 @ Nov 17, 2010 -> 07:51 PM)
A 27 year old pitcher, making 2.7 million dollars who chewed up innings and had a 4 ERA. That my friends is what a lot of teams want. And something we would be stupid to give up. I guess betting on Jake Peavy and other associated stuff rounding out the rotation is better for people. Remember he was the 3rd best starter on the team last year. I find it humorous that people disliked him based on his lack of emotion. Sometimes I think fans would like a guy with a 5 ERA over Gavin as long as he screamed a bit, and maybe pointed to the sky. Style points only I guess.

Its real simple. If you give up Gavin, who is under control and is valuable you better be getting something of impact back.

Which is exactly why I think Gavin would be the last of the five starters to get dealt right now.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Nov 17, 2010 -> 07:53 PM)
Which is exactly why I think Gavin would be the last of the five starters to get dealt right now.

And that is fine. I don't have a problem trading him as long as we get something of impact in return. I just get a kick out of those who have dislike for him based on his facial expressions or the fact that he lacks overt emotional response that people seem to need for some reason.

QUOTE (southsideirish71 @ Nov 17, 2010 -> 07:55 PM)
And that is fine. I don't have a problem trading him as long as we get something of impact in return. I just get a kick out of those who have dislike for him based on his facial expressions or the fact that he lacks overt emotional response that people seem to need for some reason.

Ditka is still a god in this town, that is all you need to know.

QUOTE (bucket-of-suck @ Nov 17, 2010 -> 03:19 PM)
Gavin is gone and has been for a while. He's way to inconsistent and aloof. Gavin, Santos, Escobar + (low level prospect) to ARZ for Justin Upton or St Louis for Rasmus.

I would do that in a heartbeat, especially because we have seen the ceiling on Flloyd, we know what we are going to get from him over 162 games. Its not bad, hes a solid #3, but thats it, and that's all he will ever be. I like him, but if we can get an Upton or Rasmus in return we will have traded a quality pitcher who has reached his ceiling for a quality younger player who still has room to grow.

QUOTE (joeynach @ Nov 17, 2010 -> 09:16 PM)
I would do that in a heartbeat, especially because we have seen the ceiling on Flloyd, we know what we are going to get from him over 162 games. Its not bad, hes a solid #3, but thats it, and that's all he will ever be. I like him, but if we can get an Upton or Rasmus in return we will have traded a quality pitcher who has reached his ceiling for a quality younger player who still has room to grow.

Really, if you think we've seen the ceiling on Floyd, you're right. We've seen it in June/July of the last 2 years when he put up ERA's around 1.

The thing that kept him from a cy young award is the awful start to the season both times. It's 100% possible he could put up an ERA of 3.5 through April and May and then wind up making Greinke jealous. That's his ceiling, still.

Whether he'll ever snap that together...

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Nov 18, 2010 -> 02:15 AM)
His curveball in the thin air? He'd be a two pitch pitcher, the second being his change.

Not only that, but with the likelihood he'd give up more runners on base due to the large outfields, he'd really struggle since he's so mediocre from the stretch.

QUOTE (fathom @ Nov 17, 2010 -> 09:32 PM)
Not only that, but with the likelihood he'd give up more runners on base due to the large outfields, he'd really struggle since he's so mediocre from the stretch.

He has a .687 OPS against him with the bases empty, .763 with runners on base last year. I don't think he was nearly as bad as I thought he'd be when I read your post.

Someone on MLBTR brought up an 3-team interesting trade.

White Sox get: Justin Upton

Rockies get: Gavin Floyd

Arizona gets: collection of 1-2 prospects from White Sox, 2-3 prospects from Rockies.

Honestly, that works out for everyone. Rockies like Floyd, Sox would like to add an OF, especially of Upton's caliber, and Towers wants 4-5 prospects in return for Upton. I would think the Sox would trade Escobar (since Drew might be on his way out soon), and maybe a pitching prospect of ours, Infante maybe since the Dbacks are seeking bullpen arms.

Would you trade Floyd, Escobar, and Infante for Upton? I would.

Edited by JoeCoolMan24

QUOTE (JoeCoolMan24 @ Nov 17, 2010 -> 08:55 PM)
Someone on MLBTR brought up an 3-team interesting trade.

White Sox get: Justin Upton

Rockies get: Gavin Floyd

Arizona gets: collection of 1-2 prospects from White Sox, 2-3 prospects from Rockies.

Honestly, that works out for everyone. Rockies like Floyd, Sox would like to add an OF, especially of Upton's caliber, and Towers wants 4-5 prospects in return for Upton. I would think the Sox would trade Escobar (since Drew might be on his way out soon), and maybe a pitching prospect of ours, Infante maybe since the Dbacks are seeking bullpen arms.

Would you trade Floyd, Escobar, and Infante for Upton? I would.

lmao. Kevin Towers would have to enter the witness protection program if that's all he could net for Upton.

QUOTE (Kenny Hates Prospects @ Nov 17, 2010 -> 05:42 PM)
Random spazz thought - does anyone think this possibility crossed Kenny's mind: trade Buehrle (and I generally loathe the idea BTW) for pretty much nothing but a couple useful prospects and salary relief, and use Danks in an Upton deal, and then take the money saved and ... gasp ... throw it at Cliff Lee? Because Danks in arb + Mark is around $20M and Cliff Lee + Upton is only a mil or two above that. And that's about the only scenario where I like trading Mark. I'd only do it to take on a better pitcher.

If we essentially get Upton and Lee for Buehrle and Danks and the fans are upset, then they shouldn't be allowed to watch baseball anymore.

QUOTE (bucket-of-suck @ Nov 18, 2010 -> 05:37 AM)
Yes on Ian Stewart. The guy has stud potential at the Cell. Plug him in at 1B.

He still has a long way to go to reach that potential, and if he couldn't do it in Colorado, I'm not sure he'd do it anywhere else. I don't think we're a better team if we trade Gavin for Stewart and put him at 1B.