Phils Interested in TCQ?

DirtySox

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I actually like the idea of leaving Quentin as our DH. I think he's worth more to us right now than he is on the trade market. Plus he isn't expensive and his upside is pretty strong in a DH role.

The more I think about it, the more I like the idea of getting a nice, athletic outfielder and than finding a cheaper 1st baseman.

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Nov 17, 2010 -> 05:42 PM)
That has Hundley for Grudzielanek and Karros written all over it

Hundley was never the player Ibanez has been and Teahen isn't nearly the player Grudz used to be (starting caliber). And Quentin's potential goes so far beyond what Eric Karros was at the time that it's not even funny.

Dealing Quentin is a huge risk no matter what, but at the same time there's a whole lot of uncertainty there. If you do it then get as much value as you can, and IMO the value of dumping Teahen's contract is probably greater than what we could get back in prospects.

But yeah, any Quentin deal we make (if we make one) is going to have SoxTalk crossing it's fingers hoping we didn't just give up a candidate for the 2011 MVP.

I don't think we're getting that kind of value out of Carlos. It's now been 2 years since his breakout and it's probably looking like an anomaly to some people because of that. Remove his 2008 season and in 1380 MLB PA he's hitting .237/.328/.455/.783 which is not much for a guy who can't really play defense anywhere. Keep his huge 2008 and you're still looking at a line of .251/.347/.488/.835 which is still not great for a butcher in the OF.

If we can keep him as a DH we could come out way ahead though. It just sucks because we can get burned whether we trade him or keep him. Kenny is in a tough spot with this guy.

QUOTE (Kenny Hates Prospects @ Nov 17, 2010 -> 05:40 PM)
I don't think we're getting that kind of value out of Carlos. It's now been 2 years since his breakout and it's probably looking like an anomaly to some people because of that. Remove his 2008 season and in 1380 MLB PA he's hitting .237/.328/.455/.783 which is not much for a guy who can't really play defense anywhere. Keep his huge 2008 and you're still looking at a line of .251/.347/.488/.835 which is still not great for a butcher in the OF.

If we can keep him as a DH we could come out way ahead though. It just sucks because we can get burned whether we trade him or keep him. Kenny is in a tough spot with this guy.

Why is that? The White Sox have had pretty much the worst defensive RF in the majors for the past 6 years. I think the main 4 positions Williams cares about defensively are SS, 2B, CF, and C, probably in that order.

The Sox selling Quentin undervalue would be a mistake because of how vast his potential really is. If he "bombs" again next year, you can deal him then and let another team worry about tendering him a contract.

This makes perfect sense. They acquired Ibanez when he was still young enough to be productive and Quentin is kind of the same guy.

Moderately disappointing as Ibanez was in KC.

If we trade quentin we should not give him away. He still had a lot of RBIs and still has "potential."

I totally could see why Philly would want him.

This might sound dumb, but I think quentin has tools but needs a new approach (stance) at the plate. I really don't give a f*** either way about Walker, but I think Quentin needs some help in his approach at the plate.

Quentin, though, is worth more than scraps in a trade.

Edited by greg775

I'd almost be fine with CQ as DH as a last ditch everything else fails move, but at the same time, he might wind up even MORE in his own head sitting on the bench for innings at a time and not butchering right field...

On the same token it could do wonders.... who knows, that guy is a friggin mystery haha

QUOTE (pittshoganerkoff @ Nov 18, 2010 -> 12:34 PM)
FWIW, Bruce Levine is saying the Sox are not shopping Quentin. I don't know if that means anything. I would assume that Quentin would be on his way to another team if the right offer came along.

Could be Kenny being clever in saying the Sox aren't shopping him, but other teams are asking for him. If I recall, the Phillies were interested in Quentin, not that the Sox pushed Quentin on to the Phillies.

QUOTE (pittshoganerkoff @ Nov 18, 2010 -> 09:34 AM)
FWIW, Bruce Levine is saying the Sox are not shopping Quentin. I don't know if that means anything. I would assume that Quentin would be on his way to another team if the right offer came along.

It really doesn't make sense to move him. We'd be selling low.

In those instances I can see why it could make sense to move Floyd, but if you deal him you better have plans to find another starting pitcher and you better be prepared to lock up Danks. In fact, with Buehrle/Peavy coming off the books in the relative short-term, it only makes sense to extend Danks.

QUOTE (nitetrain8601 @ Nov 18, 2010 -> 09:00 PM)
Stop calling him TCQ. What does the T even stand for?!

The. As in The Carlos Quentin. It comes from this legenday quote by TKW ^_^ ""We wanted to upgrade at shortstop, get a setup guy for the bullpen, acquire Carlos Quentin, and not a guy like him but actually Carlos Quentin," said Williams in definitive tones during this conversation. " http://mlb.mlb.com/news/article.jsp?ymd=20...sp&c_id=cws The fanbase started talking about how KW wanted The Carlos Quentin, not a guy like him and a dream was born.

Edited by Thunderbolt

Moving Quentin for nothing would be bad. I don't even want to move him for Ibanez. Ibanez at DH won't put up better numbers than Quentin at DH. Plus, with Quentin, you get up-side. Ibanez is almost 40. If you trade Quentin, it better be for somebody useful in the outfield - like Victorino (not happening though).

QUOTE (kjshoe04 @ Nov 18, 2010 -> 03:41 PM)
I'm not a fan of moving Quentin. I really think he should just become our DH. He obviously can't field and his potential is so high that if he puts it together we could really come out looking bad if a deal were made.

That's a terrible reason to hold onto somebody. If they don't think he's going to work out for us, they shouldn't keep him because he may have a good year and people will point at us and laugh.

QUOTE (Milkman delivers @ Nov 19, 2010 -> 09:44 AM)
That's a terrible reason to hold onto somebody. If they don't think he's going to work out for us, they shouldn't keep him because he may have a good year and people will point at us and laugh.

They're all going to laugh at you!