Konerko thread

southsider2k5

http://msn.foxsports.com/mlb/story/chicago...nerko-go-112510

Paul Konerko is coming off a much better season than Derek Jeter. Since 2001, Konerko has won the same number of world championships as Jeter. At the moment, Konerko is the most popular player, on either side of town, in the nation's third-largest market.

So, where is the outrage among fans and media members that Paulie remains unsigned?

MLB Buzz

HOT STOVE REPORT

Is an MVP-caliber trade in store for your team? Follow every offseason move. Read MLB Buzz Blog.

It must be a New York/Everybody Else thing. Unlike the Yankees and Jeter, the Chicago White Sox have business and baseball reasons to reward Konerko with a nice new deal.

Jeter's 2010 production rivaled that of Alex Gonzalez and Marco Scutaro. Not so with Konerko. Few major leaguers — at first base or anywhere else — hit like Konerko this year: .312, 39 home runs, 111 RBI.

Konerko is also nearly two years younger than Jeter. But three weeks into free agency, Konerko doesn't have a contract. And when contacted before Thanksgiving, this is all White Sox general manager Kenny Williams would say about it:

“I'm on record with how much I respect and value Paul Konerko on and off the field. Beyond that, I don't have much else to say, because I keep things pretty quiet when it comes to our dealings.”

Those dealings included an unsuccessful attempt to sign free agent Victor Martinez. The division rival Detroit Tigers hired him instead. We'll never know for sure, but it's possible that signing Martinez would have left the White Sox without the money to retain Konerko.

All-time MLB home run list

Dinger kings

Check out where the greats rank on the all-time home run list.

If so, then failing to get Martinez was a serendipitous stroke of luck for the Pale Hose. Konerko's value to the lineup and clubhouse is immeasurable. Veteran reliever J.J. Putz called him “one of the best, professional and talented teammates I have been around.”

I don't know if White Sox officials are taking him for granted. But if they are — even a little — they are committing an egregious error.

“He's a legitimate threat to hit a homer every at-bat,” stated C.J. Wilson, the analytical Texas Rangers left-hander. “Losing his bat could mean a lower run total for the team, and that would really lessen their chances to take down Minnesota.

“The alternative is that they try and sign someone to replace him, but, as we've found out, the known quantity is generally more consistent and predictable than the unknown ‘newly signed’ guy.”

Well said.

Take a look at the team's starting lineup, without Konerko and fellow free agent A.J. Pierzynski: Mark Teahen, Dayan Viciedo and Brent Morel at the infield corners; unproven Tyler Flowers behind the plate; inconsistent Gordon Beckham at second base; enigmatic Carlos Quentin in right field; and an ad hoc committee at designated hitter.

Clearly, the White Sox must sign someone. Probably a couple of someones. Why not start with Konerko, a loyal White Sox employee since 1999?

Sure, Konerko is an aging player. He was an old soul in his 20s, and he turns 35 in March. His 2008 season was pockmarked by diminished numbers and injuries to his right knee and left oblique. He is close enough to his baseball dotage that a multi-year contract is inherently risky.

White Sox at a glance

Chicago White Sox

Looking for the latest on the White Sox? Get the inside slant, stats, scores, schedules and more scoops right here.

But Konerko's track record says he hits. During his recently expired five-year, $60 million contract, he averaged better than 30 home runs and 90 RBI per season. He had a better OPS than Jeter over that span, although first basemen are supposed to outperform shortstops.

The smart money still says Konerko will return to the South Side. He has a strong relationship with chairman Jerry Reinsdorf. Williams, whose rift with manager Ozzie Guillen is well publicized, knows how valuable Konerko's equanimity has been in the oft-chaotic clubhouse.

In addition to Konerko's off-the-field attributes, I don't know where the White Sox can find a better first baseman in the current marketplace.

Adam Dunn has been mentioned as a possibility. The White Sox lineup would indeed look a lot scarier with his left-handed bat. Dunn would hit 45 home runs — maybe more — at U.S. Cellular Field.

If Reinsdorf wants Konerko and Dunn — as an alternating first base/designated hitter combination — then more power to him. But the White Sox can't sign Dunn if it means losing Konerko. That would be too risky, for a number of reasons:

• Konerko is a better defender.

• Dunn has never played for an American League team.

• Dunn has appeared in the same number of postseason games as you and I.

• Konerko is wise enough to realize that DH appearances — he made 23 this year — are good for his body. Dunn, meanwhile, has made it clear he doesn't want to be a DH. “I think everyone pretty much knows that's something I don't want to do at this point in time of my career,” Dunn told the Washington Post in July. “In four, five years down the road, maybe. As of right now, no.”

Konerko, meanwhile, hasn't ruled out an increase in the number of his DH days.

So, what if Dunn replaces Konerko at first base … but then Ozzie decides after a couple of months that his team is best off with Dunn at DH? Wouldn't you love to be in the manager's office for that meeting?

Dunn might be younger than Konerko, but it's hard to describe him as more athletic. In fact, they are comparable base-cloggers. Take away his home runs and Konerko scored 50 runs this year. By the same calculus, Dunn had 49.

But when it comes to Konerko, here's the most impressive statistic of all: Among players who spent the past 10 seasons with the same team, Konerko ranks second with 313 home runs, according to Baseball-Reference.com. Albert Pujols is the only hitter ahead of him.

The White Sox offered Konerko salary arbitration earlier this week. If he accepts, he will receive a one-year contract and raise on the $12 million he earned this year. But he deserves more than that. If Dunn is going to get four years, then Konerko should get at least three.

And if he doesn't?

“I'd certainly love to have him in our lineup,” Wilson said.

He is not alone. For the White Sox's sake, I hope they realize that.

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Great article. I really hope we resign this guy. We haven't had a sox great retire in a sox uni in a while. Konerko deserves it he is nothing but a class act. I still also think of when he surised JR with the world series ball. JR loves him oz loves him. I see a 2/3 year deal with decent money and then he'll retire. He deserves it from the team as do the fans

Paulie is a great guy and has been a great player in a White Sox uniform. Comparing him to Jeter though is ridiculous. First off, 95% of this board wanted Paulie gone and wanted the Sox to pay at least part of his contract to do so before 2010. Secondly, the White Sox don't throw money around like the Yankees.

I think giving Paulie a 3 year $45 million contract will eventually be regrettable. Giving Jeter $20 million a year and he stinks the place up wouldn't be much of a blow to the Yankees. They have made a lot of money because of him.If you go by the 2010 season alone, Paulie is probably more valuable, but like him or not, Jeter is a first ballot HOFer.

Edited by Dick Allen

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Nov 27, 2010 -> 07:13 AM)
Paulie is a great guy and has been a great player in a White Sox uniform. Comparing him to Jeter though is ridiculous. First off, 95% of this board wanted Paulie gone and wanted the Sox to pay at least part of his contract to do so before 2010. Secondly, the White Sox don't throw money around like the Yankees.

I think giving Paulie a 3 year $45 million contract will eventually be regrettable. Giving Jeter $20 million a year and he stinks the place up wouldn't be much of a blow to the Yankees. They have made a lot of money because of him.If you go by the 2010 season alone, Paulie is probably more valuable, but like him or not, Jeter is a first ballot HOFer.

Agreed. I think you've got to try and view Konerko through what he has done over the course of the last three years, not just his great 2010 season. If I was KW, I wouldn't want go any higher than 2/$25 or 3/$33, and that honestly scares the heck out of me.

Sign him. 3/$35 You have to build on a cornerstone, he's the guy, on and off the field.

How many times have we seen these types of posts?

Every guy with a good season in a Sox uni will fall apart next season, every guy sucking it up in another uni will magically turn it around if the Sox sign him.

QUOTE (Rowand44 @ Nov 27, 2010 -> 09:05 AM)
He's not going to suck but there's a 0 percent chance that he repeats last season.

which would be back to back 0 percent seasons. ;) It was 0 percent he was going to have the kind of season he had last year.

QUOTE (iamshack @ Nov 27, 2010 -> 11:50 AM)
A bit of an exaggeration, obviously....but there was a good percentage that was in favor of dealing Paulie in 08' or 09', myself included.

I'd say it was 80%.

Hell, we were willing to deal him for Brandon Wood (in some hope we could flip him for AGon of course)

QUOTE (iamshack @ Nov 27, 2010 -> 12:50 PM)
A bit of an exaggeration, obviously....but there was a good percentage that was in favor of dealing Paulie in 08' or 09', myself included.

Dealing him in a deal that made us better? Sure, I'd have been game for that, but unceremoniously dumping him to get rid of his salary? I don't recall much of that.

QUOTE (Eminor3rd @ Nov 27, 2010 -> 05:18 PM)
I like PK at 2/24 or 3/30, but that's it. I think he reverts to 270/340/500/28/90

I think you're probably right. And I don't really have a problem with that kind of production, as long as we fill either the DH role or the RF role.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Nov 27, 2010 -> 02:13 PM)

95% wanted him gone? Either I am in that 5% minority or your exagerating a lot. I do not agree with your take on PK and a new conract at all. He would be worth the $15M a year. The only question is will PK ask that much to stay with the Sox or woud a $13-$15M 2 year contract do it with incentives or a mutual third year option?

I assume CJ Wilson was an analyst on MLB Network or something, because I have no idea why he'd be talking about Konerko otherwise.

Anyways, as much as Konerko has done for this franchise, I think Williams is pretty dead set on bringing in a left handed bat, and one has to imagine that it's Dunn. At that point, even if the Sox somehow had enough money to bring Konerko back, I'm not sure it would be financially responsible, considering that they still have a bullpen to fill out and only 3 solid relievers under contract (Sale, Santos, and Thornton).

I have loved everything Konerko has done for the Sox, but it just feels like his time in a Sox uniform is done, atleast for now.

If we swap Konerko and Dunn for about the same price (which seems likely for the duration of the contracts), I cannot see how anyone could be disappointed on the baseball side of things. Dunn is a much better bet to be productive next year, the following year and the third year in a deal. I love Konerko, but if the choice is Dunn at $12 million per year or Konerko at that same price (let's say give or take $2 million), I am running with Dunn despite how much I love Paulie on a personal level. Before last year's incredible year, Paulie was an average player at his position.

Year Team G AB R H 2B 3B HR RBI BB SO SB CS AVG OBP SLG OPS

2007 CWS 151 549 71 142 34 0 31 90 78 102 0 1 .259 .351 .490 .841

2008 CWS 122 438 59 105 19 1 22 62 65 80 2 0 .240 .344 .438 .782

2009 CWS 152 546 75 151 30 1 28 88 58 89 1 0 .277 .353 .489 .842

He has had a great career here, but at 35 years old when the season starts, I would expect a year closer to an .820 OPS than a .950 OPS. Sentimentality aside, the Sox need the most efficient player for the money and Adam Dunn is definitely that.

QUOTE (maggsmaggs @ Nov 29, 2010 -> 08:43 AM)
If we swap Konerko and Dunn for about the same price (which seems likely for the duration of the contracts), I cannot see how anyone could be disappointed on the baseball side of things. Dunn is a much better bet to be productive next year, the following year and the third year in a deal. I love Konerko, but if the choice is Dunn at $12 million per year or Konerko at that same price (let's say give or take $2 million), I am running with Dunn despite how much I love Paulie on a personal level. Before last year's incredible year, Paulie was an average player at his position.

Year Team G AB R H 2B 3B HR RBI BB SO SB CS AVG OBP SLG OPS

2007 CWS 151 549 71 142 34 0 31 90 78 102 0 1 .259 .351 .490 .841

2008 CWS 122 438 59 105 19 1 22 62 65 80 2 0 .240 .344 .438 .782

2009 CWS 152 546 75 151 30 1 28 88 58 89 1 0 .277 .353 .489 .842

He has had a great career here, but at 35 years old when the season starts, I would expect a year closer to an .820 OPS than a .950 OPS. Sentimentality aside, the Sox need the most efficient player for the money and Adam Dunn is definitely that.

Let's not forget that in this specific scenario, if we sign Dunn, we would also be losing our #1 draft choice to the Nationals next year. We're a little further down in the draft order next year as a result of that "debacle" of winning 88 games this year (sorry, Thunderbolt - couldn't resist!), but our first round drafting in recent years has been pretty good. So although you are correct in terms of talking about a more efficient use of money when comparing Dunn to Konerko one-on-one, you also have to take into consideration the probability and likelihood of missing out on several years of production from a top flight talent as a result of surrendering the draft pick.

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Dec 1, 2010 -> 02:13 PM)
I still don't think Baltimore is the spot for Konerko, but perhaps they offer him enough that he can't turn it down. I imagine 3/$42 or something along those lines might be enough to get him in orange and black.

Yeah, I highly doubt he'd sign with Baltimore. Why would he want to spend his last couple years in baseball on an AL East doormat like the Orioles?