Paul Konerko Re-Signs with White Sox

ozzfest

• Replies 992
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (SoxFan562004 @ Dec 7, 2010 -> 09:17 PM)
yeah, I have a feeling KW told Jerry his Plan B/C etc. are ready to go but might not be there by Thursday/Friday, so he better come in and see if he can salvage it.

Yes. ^ At this point JR wants PK back more than anybody else in the office.

Edited by bucket-of-suck

QUOTE (bucket-of-suck @ Dec 7, 2010 -> 09:26 PM)
Yes. ^ At this point JR wants PK back more than anybody else in the office.

I've heard JR similarly took over the Bulls coaching search. Wanted Thibodeau more than anyone else in the FO. Got him.

Thibodeau barely got a look during the time of Del Negro's hiring, when the situation was more firmly in Paxson's hands (and when the Lebron-less stakes were far lower for a coach selection).

QUOTE (Princess Dye @ Dec 7, 2010 -> 09:37 PM)
I've heard JR similarly took over the Bulls coaching search. Wanted Thibodeau more than anyone else in the FO. Got him.

Thibodeau barely got a look during the time of Del Negro's hiring, when the situation was more firmly in Paxson's hands (and when the Lebron-less stakes were far lower for a coach selection).

Great point.

10:00pm: White Sox GM Kenny Williams told Dave van Dyck of the Chicago Tribune that he’s prepared to move on without Konerko and address other needs. "There's no deadline, but we're going to make the first best deal we can," Williams said. The White Sox had plans to discuss alternatives this evening.

mlbtraderumors.com

Cowley:

Earlier in the day, there were reports that the Sox had former Cubs hurler Kerry Wood on the radar for a bullpen spot. A source said Wood was "too expensive,'' however, but that was said with most in the organization feeling Konerko was all but a done deal and would return for a 13th season.

Now, everyone with "free agent'' next to their name was back in play for not only the bullpen, but first base. That included Derrek Lee, which was reported on Monday.

"Moving forward this may afford us the ability to do a couple of other things along with filling the position,'' Williams said. "So the assumption that we will end this or will ultimately be worse for it is incorrect. I think we still have a chance to put a real good player in the position and do some other things.''

Elsewhere in this, Wed afternoon is mentioned as a deadline.

Edited by Princess Dye

I think PK said it in his interview months ago. "Why do players give hometown discounts (paraphrase)?" He gave one last time. He wants an owner to overpay in a "hometown bonus" way. And why does he have his best 2 years in his contract years? He cashed the checks all the way through, didn't he? He's good, I have his name on my game jersey, and I do want him back, but I must say I'm a little upset.

QUOTE (Princess Dye @ Dec 7, 2010 -> 10:39 PM)
Cowley:

Earlier in the day, there were reports that the Sox had former Cubs hurler Kerry Wood on the radar for a bullpen spot. A source said Wood was "too expensive,'' however, but that was said with most in the organization feeling Konerko was all but a done deal and would return for a 13th season.

Now, everyone with "free agent'' next to their name was back in play for not only the bullpen, but first base. That included Derrek Lee, which was reported on Monday.

"Moving forward this may afford us the ability to do a couple of other things along with filling the position,'' Williams said. "So the assumption that we will end this or will ultimately be worse for it is incorrect. I think we still have a chance to put a real good player in the position and do some other things.''

Elsewhere in this, Wed afternoon is mentioned as a deadline.

And Kenny Williams gives the #1 reason why so many of us have now turned out attention to the less expensive Derrek Lee. It makes even more sense now that he's all but confirmed that allotted Konerko money could be split between several players if he is not re-signed.

I also wouldn't be opposed to giving Jermaine Dye $3.5-5.5 million to play 1B for one season. It would carry some risk with it though, but not as much as bringing in Pena or LaRoche for a lot more money/years (2-3) and possibly forcing Viciedo's departure.

If they can get DLee at $6-8 million though, go ahead and do it.

I'd almost think about bring Fielder into play, but that would entirely gut our system. KW might be willing to part with Viciedo and Floyd, but no way he will let Sale or Beckham be part of that deal. And trading Floyd blows another hole in our rotation. We can't do that until we know for sure Peavy can pitch next year, and effectively.

Edited by caulfield12

It is interesting, as others have pointed out, that PK's two best years were walk years.

Whatever else motivated him to give JR the ball in '05, it was a very smart financial move....

Of course I like him and would love to see him come back at a reasonable price, but he does seem to have a bit of attitude this time around.

Hope JR doesn't cripple the bullpen for old times' sake.

QUOTE (SoxFan1 @ Dec 8, 2010 -> 06:30 AM)
If Carlos Pena and his .732 OPS are about to get 10 million, this could be bad news.

Yes, but he's sacrificing a year on his deal for more salary. It's classic Boras, as he wants Pena to rebuild his reputation and be a free agent again soon.

QUOTE (fathom @ Dec 7, 2010 -> 10:32 PM)
Yes, but he's sacrificing a year on his deal for more salary. It's classic Boras, as he wants Pena to rebuild his reputation and be a free agent again soon.

Usually when you do that because you actually have to prove yourself, you end up getting deals less than 10 million though. In this case, he's getting a whopper of a deal given that he's coming off a craptacular season.

I'd actually be comfortable with Dunn/Viciedo as my 1B platoon. We could spend a good chunk of this supposed money in the outfield and finally get Pierre off full-time duty. That way 5 of these 6 get to play everyday: Dunn/Rios/CQ/Pierre/NewOFer/Viciedo. Dunn obviously gets to play nearly everyday and Rios should be out there most days as well; Pierre and Viciedo get the least naturally. That's a rotating DH.

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Dec 8, 2010 -> 12:16 AM)
I also wouldn't be opposed to giving Jermaine Dye $3.5-5.5 million to play 1B for one season. It would carry some risk with it though, but not as much as bringing in Pena or LaRoche for a lot more money/years (2-3) and possibly forcing Viciedo's departure.

If they can get DLee at $6-8 million though, go ahead and do it.

I'd almost think about bring Fielder into play, but that would entirely gut our system. KW might be willing to part with Viciedo and Floyd, but no way he will let Sale or Beckham be part of that deal. And trading Floyd blows another hole in our rotation. We can't do that until we know for sure Peavy can pitch next year, and effectively.

I would like to know where people get this idea that Dye can actually play 1st base and be passable. This is a guy who sat out all last year, and has been an OF. Taking an older player, moving him to a new position and paying him more money than other teams were willing to pay him last offseason sounds like a recipe for disaster. I would rather pay for a proven quantity than to roll the dice.

QUOTE (SoxFan1 @ Dec 8, 2010 -> 12:30 AM)
If Carlos Pena and his .732 OPS are about to get 10 million, this could be bad news.

I don't think it's a big deal at all. Boras almost always gets his guys relatively big money contracts, even on 1-year deals. On top of that, Hendry overpays for players all the time...he's done this with Bradley, Byrd, Soriano, Nady, Grabow, and really any other free agents the team has. The fact that he gave Carlos Pena $10 million for 1 year doesn't look like bad news to me on the Lee front at all.