Winter Meeting Buzz

Frank_Thomas

QUOTE (justBLAZE @ Dec 7, 2010 -> 03:51 PM)
#brewers resigned they cant sign prince longerm. fielded calls from #chisox, #dodgers, #rangers, others. gauging the market - Jon Heyman

Is he also reading this forum?

Fielder for 1 year, and if you can't re-sign, go to Viciedo? That might not be a bad plan, since 1 year of Prince won't be horrible prospect-price-wise. Plus unlike with signing Paulie, you don't HAVE to engage for multiple years.

• Replies 841
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Dec 7, 2010 -> 04:53 PM)
Fielder for 1 year, and if you can't re-sign, go to Viciedo? That might not be a bad plan, since 1 year of Prince won't be horrible prospect-price-wise. Plus unlike with signing Paulie, you don't HAVE to engage for multiple years.

How you get Fielder without giving up Viciedo in our system I have no idea.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Dec 7, 2010 -> 03:56 PM)
How you get Fielder without giving up Viciedo in our system I have no idea.

Yeah now that you mention it, that would be tough. Even if you package up some 2-3 of Escobar, Mitchell, Reed/Petricka (if they are even eligible), Mitchell, etc., maybe with one of the lower level guys... that probably still wouldn't do it, and the already thin system would be thoroughly gutted.

But, if the Sox called, they must have had something in mind. I almost wonder if they were thinking someone on the major league roster, like Quentin.

If we can't get Paulie, I'm down with starting Viciedo and using that 12-15 million on relievers. You could build one hell of a bullpen with the cash freed up by playing Viciedo, who I think will make a hell of a corner infielder.

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Dec 7, 2010 -> 04:08 PM)
Yeah now that you mention it, that would be tough. Even if you package up some 2-3 of Escobar, Mitchell, Reed/Petricka (if they are even eligible), Mitchell, etc., maybe with one of the lower level guys... that probably still wouldn't do it, and the already thin system would be thoroughly gutted.

But, if the Sox called, they must have had something in mind. I almost wonder if they were thinking someone on the major league roster, like Quentin.

There's always a possibility they make the same offer they made for Gonzalez assuming they could sign Fielder to an extension. Not sure if Milwaukee would be interested in such an offer though.

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Dec 7, 2010 -> 05:08 PM)

Beckham possibly, it was reported that he was offered along with other prospects for AGon, but with the state of reporting the way it is right now I doubt that actually occurred.

QUOTE (Chicago White Sox @ Dec 7, 2010 -> 05:12 PM)
There's always a possibility they make the same offer they made for Gonzalez assuming they could sign Fielder to an extension. Not sure if Milwaukee would be interested in such an offer though.

You'd be crazy to value Fielder and Gonzalez the same in a trade. First of all, one of them is a solid defender, the other is already best as a DH. Secondly, Gonzalez is on tap to make $6.5 million this season, while Fielder is looking at an arbitration raise from his $11 million deal last year.

I wouldn't give up Beckham straight up for Fielder. I wouldn't have given him up for Gonzalez either, but I'd be less angry about that one.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Dec 7, 2010 -> 06:15 PM)
You'd be crazy to value Fielder and Gonzalez the same in a trade. First of all, one of them is a solid defender, the other is already best as a DH. Secondly, Gonzalez is on tap to make $6.5 million this season, while Fielder is looking at an arbitration raise from his $11 million deal last year.

I wouldn't give up Beckham straight up for Fielder. I wouldn't have given him up for Gonzalez either, but I'd be less angry about that one.

Agreed, I would want Fielder plus a bullpen piece or a decent prospect to offset the additional cash/lesser defense.

Not sure if BrewCrew would even consider that though, they have Weeks still, and the fanbase would probably be upset that it wasn't Fielder straight up.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Dec 7, 2010 -> 04:15 PM)

I agree with you completely. I wouldn't trade Beckham for either guy, although I'd probably have gotten over a Gonzalez trade quickly if an extension was worked out.

Anyways, I'm just saying we could probably make a competitive offer for Fielder without including any major league pitching.

QUOTE (Chicago White Sox @ Dec 7, 2010 -> 05:30 PM)
Anyways, I'm just saying we could probably make a competitive offer for Fielder without including any major league pitching.

I don't know how we could. What would interest them. Quentin? They kinda have that but better in Braun. Sale can't be traded as anything but a PTBNL and that's a mess. Morel and Viciedo are really our only 2 legit trade pieces right now, and trading Morel makes Teahen your 3b starter again since you'd have no money left over after taking on Fielder. Basically, the best legit non-pitching offer we can make is Viciedo + Escobar, and I'm not sure I'd do that deal either considering that Fielder's going to be a $15 million or so player this year.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Dec 7, 2010 -> 04:33 PM)
I don't know how we could. What would interest them. Quentin? They kinda have that but better in Braun. Sale can't be traded as anything but a PTBNL and that's a mess. Morel and Viciedo are really our only 2 legit trade pieces right now, and trading Morel makes Teahen your 3b starter again since you'd have no money left over after taking on Fielder. Basically, the best legit non-pitching offer we can make is Viciedo + Escobar, and I'm not sure I'd do that deal either considering that Fielder's going to be a $15 million or so player this year.

I meant Beckham and a couple of prospects. Again, not saying I'd make that trade, but I'm sure that Doug Melvin would consider it.

QUOTE (JoeCoolMan24 @ Dec 7, 2010 -> 06:02 PM)
Rangers are shopping Michael Young around to save money for Lee. Isn't he someone Kenny has been linked with in the past?

16 mil a season for the next 3 years. That'd be payroll suicide.

QUOTE (Kalapse @ Dec 7, 2010 -> 05:04 PM)
$48M over the next 3 years.

Wow, $16 MM per over the next 3 years? Pass. I was going to say that I'd love to have him here playing 3B, but I thought that he was paid 11 or 12 MM per over 2 years. He's 32 or 33 isn't he?

Edited by Elgin Slim

QUOTE (Jake @ Dec 7, 2010 -> 05:12 PM)
If we can't get Paulie, I'm down with starting Viciedo and using that 12-15 million on relievers. You could build one hell of a bullpen with the cash freed up by playing Viciedo, who I think will make a hell of a corner infielder.

The only problem I have with this scenario is with Ozzie as manager I just know we'll be seeing a lot of Adam Dunn at 1B and that would be a very bad thing.

That's why I am now hoping for Derrick Lee. Even Ozzie isn't stupid enough to play Dunn at 1B when he has a gold glove caliber first baseman like Lee on the team, and Lee has been one of Ozzie's favorites from their days with the Marlins.

QUOTE (South Side Fireworks Man @ Dec 7, 2010 -> 06:15 PM)
The only problem I have with this scenario is with Ozzie as manager I just know we'll be seeing a lot of Adam Dunn at 1B and that would be a very bad thing.

Well, if you go by either UZR or by runs saved, Adam Dunn at 1b really wasn't that much worse than Paul Konerko at 1b last year.