Kerry Wood signs 1 year, $1.5 million deal with Cubs

caulfield12

• Replies 161
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (BigSqwert @ Dec 16, 2010 -> 04:39 PM)
What kind of dumbass decides he doesn't want an extra $2M when he'd be playing in the same city and for a contender?

I guy who has made plenty of money and just wants to play for a certain team.

I would go with the better chance of winning but everyone has different priorities.

I like the fact that Wood has loyalty towards the Cubs and accepted a lower offer from them.

He's got more cash than he'll ever need, he's still crazy beloved by their fanbase, and the Cubs were always very helpful with Kerry's charitable efforts. It's actually a nice story, except for the part where he won't be on a serious contender in 2011.

QUOTE (The Critic @ Dec 16, 2010 -> 05:46 PM)
I like the fact that Wood has loyalty towards the Cubs and accepted a lower offer from them.

He's got more cash than he'll ever need, he's still crazy beloved by their fanbase, and the Cubs were always very helpful with Kerry's charitable efforts. It's actually a nice story, except for the part where he won't be on a serious contender in 2011.

If they're smart they will still trade him before the deadline.

What kind of dumbass decides he doesn't want an extra $2M when he'd be playing in the same city and for a contender?

Kerry Wood honestly. And tell me that if you had the opportunity to play for who you wanted for less money, or to go somewhere you despised that you wouldn't do the same thing? If Sarah Palin offered you triple your current salary to work for her, would you desert your current position?

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Dec 16, 2010 -> 04:49 PM)
Kerry Wood honestly. And tell me that if you had the opportunity to play for who you wanted for less money, or to go somewhere you despised that you wouldn't do the same thing? If Sarah Palin offered you triple your current salary to work for her, would you desert your current position?

f*** yeah!

Good for him. He obviously doesn't want to play for the Sox and put his money where his mouth is. I don't think we should be too upset losing out on a very fragile ex Cub.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Dec 16, 2010 -> 05:04 PM)
Good for him. He obviously doesn't want to play for the Sox and put his money where his mouth is. I don't think we should be too upset losing out on a very fragile ex Cub.

FWIW, if I was in his shoes, and I was me, I wouldnt take a f***ing dime from the Cubs. I would take a free contract with the Sox. I admire his loyalty.

Purely guessing here, but I'd bet that Wood got it in his head fairly early that he wanted to live in Chicago even if taking a discount. So the W.Sox probably put in their discounted offer by comparison to say Yankees or whoever.

Then the Cubs decided to put in their mega lowball offer, and Wood probably figured if he's discounting his salary anyway, why not go to the familiar preferred location.