2011 Video Game Catch-All Thread

Kyyle23

QUOTE (Quinarvy @ Nov 22, 2011 -> 07:47 AM)
FPS...well obviously, it can be done otherwise. Half the console market is FPSs now.

Sure, it can be done; it's just far inferior. There's a reason no one is trying to get PC players and console players playing together with these games: the PC players would dominate every time. You simply can't aim with a joystick like you can with a mouse.

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (CrimsonWeltall @ Nov 22, 2011 -> 08:24 AM)
Sure, it can be done; it's just far inferior. There's a reason no one is trying to get PC players and console players playing together with these games: the PC players would dominate every time. You simply can't aim with a joystick like you can with a mouse.

That's my biggest issue. Shooting a bow and arrow sucks with the ps3 controller. It takes forever to line up your target JUST right. With a mouse and controller it takes no time at all. 1000000000 times more accurate.

QUOTE (DBAHO @ Nov 22, 2011 -> 04:48 AM)
I'm the complete opposite, I hate using thumbsticks for those type of games, I just feel a whole lot more in control with the mouse.

Each to their own I suppose.

Of course.

And come next year, I'll get it for PC and play with a mouse and keyboard. It's just that I'm fine with mouse...I dont like having only 1 hand for keyboard.

QUOTE (CrimsonWeltall @ Nov 22, 2011 -> 08:24 AM)

True, but I'm sure some 12 year old would get it down.

Though, there is the SplitFish controller for console players.

QUOTE (Jenksismyb**** @ Nov 22, 2011 -> 08:54 AM)
That's my biggest issue. Shooting a bow and arrow sucks with the ps3 controller. It takes forever to line up your target JUST right. With a mouse and controller it takes no time at all. 1000000000 times more accurate.

Get a SplitFish controller.

QUOTE (Quinarvy @ Nov 22, 2011 -> 12:47 AM)
I honestly hate playing adventure games with a keyboard...I love having all my buttons at thumbs reach and analog sticks.

How small are your hands? Everything you need on a keyboard is within the WASD range.

Started playing Skyrim this weekend on my PC and put a solid 15-18 hours into it.

Already up to a Level 17, and I reckon I'm bout 1/3'rd of the way through the main quest (been doing quite a lot of side missions).

Overall my thoughts are pretty damn positive. There have been a couple of noticeable bugs which forced me to download a couple of extra sound files, and the NPC's could have more time put into them, but there is just so, so much to do in this game, I could probably be a whole month minimum trying to finish everything.

Why did NBA 2K12 change the heat check?? I always used those features throughout the game for stats and player fatigue. Having to pause the game or call a timeout to view those features sucks. I wish there was an option to change it back. Having the up directional change camera views is dumb.

• 2 weeks later...
QUOTE (CaptainKonerko @ Dec 13, 2011 -> 01:30 AM)
According to this article there's a good chance http://espn.go.com/espn/thelife/videogames...amer/id/6247274

Sweeet. Not because I would buy it, but because it will push The Show to become even greater.

I wish EA still made college baseball games, I would probably get it.

QUOTE (SnB @ Dec 13, 2011 -> 03:03 PM)
Is nba 2k12 worth buying for the "my player" mode? I'm not a big NBA guy and that's the only mode I really see myself getting hooked on...

Haven't tried it yet due to the rookies not being in yet, but it's reportedly made huge strides.

So I just finished Uncharted 3. Gotta say, I was a little disappointed. I'd give it an 8 to 8.5 out of 10. There were way too many frustratingly difficult gun fights. And not because i'm terrible at aiming or anything. Guys flanked your position way too easily while you were under cover and essentially shot you in the back without you ever knowing they were there. That, and sometimes you'd die once (because of your own doing) and then the game would respawn you in the middle of the fight where you had no chance to prepare yourself. I'm all up for a challenge (as the prior two games didn't offer much of any), but it needs to be a fair fight. Too often I felt like it wasn't fair. I nearly broke my controller like 10 times while playing this game.

That and the story just wasn't as good. I didn't understand why I was going to all of these different places. I got the general storyline, but I felt like in 2 you had a clear objective. This one was sorta all over the place.

Still, it's the best action game around. No other game comes anywhere near as close to the scope and scale of the set pieces. Fantastic game to look at, just needed to be tweaked a little more.

QUOTE (Jenksismyb**** @ Dec 14, 2011 -> 12:15 PM)
So I just finished Uncharted 3. Gotta say, I was a little disappointed. I'd give it an 8 to 8.5 out of 10. There were way too many frustratingly difficult gun fights. And not because i'm terrible at aiming or anything. Guys flanked your position way too easily while you were under cover and essentially shot you in the back without you ever knowing they were there. That, and sometimes you'd die once (because of your own doing) and then the game would respawn you in the middle of the fight where you had no chance to prepare yourself. I'm all up for a challenge (as the prior two games didn't offer much of any), but it needs to be a fair fight. Too often I felt like it wasn't fair. I nearly broke my controller like 10 times while playing this game.

That and the story just wasn't as good. I didn't understand why I was going to all of these different places. I got the general storyline, but I felt like in 2 you had a clear objective. This one was sorta all over the place.

Still, it's the best action game around. No other game comes anywhere near as close to the scope and scale of the set pieces. Fantastic game to look at, just needed to be tweaked a little more.

AGREE!!!! I think the 2nd deserved the 10/10 rating from IGN. The third was a 9/10 tops. "Final" battle was s*** compared to the 2nd.

I'm weird, I've been playing a ton of multiplayer on the 3rd one and have been catching up on the story from Drake's Fortune and Among Thieves.

I thought Drake's Fortune was alright, the firefights were pretty lame with only a few exceptions (mostly ones with snipers or turrets). There was also a chapter or two where I felt like they just had you take a longer route just to add game time (Drake even said "I'm just going around in circles"). I also didn't like that they show you the two main villians early on and then you don't see them again for like 10 chapters.

I'm only on like Chapter 5 of Among Thieves, but so far it's WAY better. The story seems a lot more developed so far and the few firefights I've had have been way more interesting. I actually LIKE when they try to flank you so you have to pay attention and/or move your cover. Too often in the first one it seemed like I'd just sit there behind cover and pick guys off one by one with little threat of death.

QUOTE (Jenksismyb**** @ Dec 14, 2011 -> 12:15 PM)

I'm the opposite.

I didn't think there were enough "Oh s*** oh s*** oh s***" gunfights, like

the train fight in Among Thieves

, where you felt like you were f***ed.