Garza to the Cubs.

Steve9347

• Replies 108
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (chw42 @ Jan 7, 2011 -> 02:11 PM)
I've seen him play against the Sox and I've never seen anything to make me think the advanced metrics are wrong. He's a very athletic player. I even remember him robbing someone of a home run at the Cell back in 09.

He's not horrible but he doesn't cover much ground out there and they have Lance Berkman in RF. I think a there will be a lot more balls getting down in the Cardinal out field than there were last season, which was my original point.

QUOTE (kev211 @ Jan 7, 2011 -> 06:06 PM)
Compare John Danks and Matt Garza's numbers they're eerily similar.

Not really. Danks has posted higher WARs for the past 3 years and it's really not that close. The only year where Garza might have outperformed Danks was 2009. Danks has actually showed he can be one of the best left handed pitchers in baseball. Garza just screams slightly above average to me.

QUOTE (chw42 @ Jan 7, 2011 -> 06:55 PM)
Not really. Danks has posted higher WARs for the past 3 years and it's really not that close. The only year where Garza might have outperformed Danks was 2009. Danks has actually showed he can be one of the best left handed pitchers in baseball. Garza just screams slightly above average to me.

Ya but their W-L ERA IP WHIP K BB are freakishly similar. Never said I wouldn't want Danks over Garza just pointing out how crazy similar their stats are.

God I can't stand the Score sometimes. All these stupid Cubs fans are calling in and they're all over the place.

One guy calls in and says prospects are there to trade for bigger pieces. For whatever reason, the term cost-controlled player must have never crossed his mind. Another says the Cubs just gave up B prospects. Way to downplay your stupid GM's overpayment. The last one I heard b****es about the Cubs giving up Sam freakin' Fuld. Really?

Edited by chw42

QUOTE (nitetrain8601 @ Jan 7, 2011 -> 08:34 PM)
Garza doesn't make sense for them right now unless they re-sign him. They really need to do fullscale rebuilding for one year, get rid of all their bad contracts, get comp picks, then rebuild through draft(go over slot for good players, not hypemen) and FA. Ricketts is not that poor.

How on Earth are the Cubs going to get comp picks for anyone, and how on Earth are they going to get rid of Soriano and Zambrano's contracts?

Been at NSBB.com for about an hour and most of their fans hate the trade. They think they gave up way too much for a guy with mediocre peripherals and isn't any better than Randy Wells. I actually checked it out and Randy Wells was actually better than Garza in 2010. lol. Of course, the AL east is a much tougher division than the NL central. But last I checked the Reds, Brewers and Cardinals could all hit. Maybe this wasn't such a good move for the Cubs.

QUOTE (Jordan4life @ Jan 8, 2011 -> 05:47 AM)
Been at NSBB.com for about an hour and most of their fans hate the trade. They think they gave up way too much for a guy with mediocre peripherals and isn't any better than Randy Wells. I actually checked it out and Randy Wells was actually better than Garza in 2010. lol. Of course, the AL east is a much tougher division than the NL central. But last I checked the Reds, Brewers and Cardinals could all hit. Maybe this wasn't such a good move for the Cubs.

Just headed over there and damn they do not like this deal like the morons that call the Score.

I love this deal from Rays perspective, hate it from Cubs. They're going to try and compete...but rebuild...at the same time. With a huge payroll.

Garza just keeps them towards the middle of the draft, he won't propel them to victory in the 3 years he's there.

MLBN during the Hot Stove show basically said it like this. It is a good move for the cubs next year to keep the fans interested but then what? In the long run Garza will not produce enough to make up for the lose of the prospects. They think Fuld makes Upton more expendable.

Bowa thinks the cub will try and move 'Z' to the Yanks. Personally I think they have a better shot of moving Garza to the Yanks.

I really wonder why the Rangers did not get in on this?

Edited by Harry Chappas

QUOTE (Harry Chappas @ Jan 8, 2011 -> 09:24 AM)
MLBN during the Hot Stove show basically said it like this. It is a good move for the cubs next year to keep the fans interested but then what? In the long run Garza will not produce enough to make up for the lose of the prospects. They think Fuld makes Upton more expendable.

Bowa thinks the cub will try and move 'Z' to the Yanks. Personally I think they have a better shot of moving Garza to the Yanks.

I really wonder why the Rangers did not get in on this?

Sam Fuld is bad. If anything, the fact that the Rays have guys like Jennings, Zobrist, and Joyce make Upton expendable.

QUOTE (chw42 @ Jan 8, 2011 -> 09:58 AM)
Sam Fuld is bad. If anything, the fact that the Rays have guys like Jennings, Zobrist, and Joyce make Upton expendable.

Absolutely. Fuld is nothing but a garbage throw-in. It still amuses me to see the crawl or mentions of this trade on CSN noting that the Cubs have acquired Garza for Fuld and prospects, like he's the centerpiece of the Rays return.

QUOTE (DirtySox @ Jan 8, 2011 -> 11:56 AM)
Absolutely. Fuld is nothing but a garbage throw-in. It still amuses me to see the crawl or mentions of this trade on CSN noting that the Cubs have acquired Garza for Fuld and prospects, like he's the centerpiece of the Rays return.

Seriously?

I wouldn't be surprised to see the Rays use some of the savings from trading Garza on a Jim Thome. They could definitely use the left-handed pop. And I'm hearing this Robinson Chirinos is a better version of John Jaso. Many of the 2011 projections think Jeremy Hellickson will come close to or even match Garza's production. If so, this would be a huge win for the Rays. That's not even mentioning Archer, Lee and Guyer.

QUOTE (Jordan4life @ Jan 8, 2011 -> 12:15 PM)
I wouldn't be surprised to see the Rays use some of the savings from trading Garza on a Jim Thome. They could definitely use the left-handed pop. And I'm hearing this Robinson Chirinos is a better version of John Jaso. Many of the 2011 projections think Jeremy Hellickson will come close to or even match Garza's production. If so, this would be a huge win for the Rays. That's not even mentioning Archer, Lee and Guyer.

I caught a double-header between the Barons and the Cubs AA team last year. The only guy who hit the ball harder than Brent Morel for the whole game was Robinson Chirinos.

He's old for the minor leagues already so it was hard to figure out if anything was translatable, but the dude was killing the ball.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Jan 8, 2011 -> 11:17 AM)
I caught a double-header between the Barons and the Cubs AA team last year. The only guy who hit the ball harder than Brent Morel for the whole game was Robinson Chirinos.

He's old for the minor leagues already so it was hard to figure out if anything was translatable, but the dude was killing the ball.

Supposedly there was plenty of interest in Chirinos this offseason by more than a few teams. I wasn't aware that dude could play some IF positions as well as catch. He could be a very useful piece.

Edited by DirtySox

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Jan 8, 2011 -> 11:17 AM)

Yeah, I see that he's 27. But so was John Jaso. And he was a 2.5 WAR player last year. And Chirinos supposedly has more power. This screams Cubs getting butt-f***ed all over it. But then again it's not that surprising considering this is Jim Hendry vs Andrew Friedman. Not much of a contest.

Also makes you wonder what the Rays think of Tim Beckham's long-term prospects. Lee's supposed to be a defensive wizard. And the only position he would obviously play is SS. I suppose Beckham is athletic enough to move to the OF. But he loses a ton of value, as it doesn't look like at this point he's going to hit for much power. The Rays are going to rue the day for eternity for not taking Posey or Alvarez.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Jan 8, 2011 -> 10:58 AM)
Seriously?

Obviously, your standard fan has no clue who Archer, Lee, Guyer or Chirinos are, but as a baseball snob and a dick I still got a chuckle out of it. Even further, I was informed multiple times by my north-side acquaintances yesterday that they had acquired Garza for Sam Fuld.

QUOTE (Jordan4life @ Jan 8, 2011 -> 12:34 PM)
Also makes you wonder what the Rays think of Tim Beckham's long-term prospects. Lee's supposed to be a defensive wizard. And the only position he would obviously play is SS. I suppose Beckham is athletic enough to move to the OF. But he loses a ton of value, as it doesn't look like at this point he's going to hit for much power. The Rays are going to rue the day for eternity for not taking Posey or Alvarez.

Or Beckham ;)

QUOTE (Jordan4life @ Jan 8, 2011 -> 12:22 PM)
Yeah, I see that he's 27. But so was John Jaso. And he was a 2.5 WAR player last year. And Chirinos supposedly has more power. This screams Cubs getting butt-f***ed all over it. But then again it's not that surprising considering this is Jim Hendry vs Andrew Friedman. Not much of a contest.

I'd say it has a possibility of this turning into a Pierzynski/Nathan type deal for the Cubs...but that's almost true with every 3/4 player for 1 deal.

The Cubs, I think, got what they needed out of this deal, at least for now.