2011 AL Central Catch-All Thread

Balta1701

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ May 24, 2011 -> 05:11 PM)
Keith law in today's podcast continues to expect regression from a lot of Cleveland players.

Also some comments on the NL still being weaker than the AL.

And that should be expected.

FanGraphs actually ran a really cool article a few weeks ago about regression to the mean. Most people assume that as the season goes on, players' overall numbers will even out towards their season numbers, but that's not exactly the case - all the article clarifies is that they are expected to put up their career numbers from today onward, which will actually leave their overall numbers slightly inflated compared to their career numbers.

Of course, it should also not be unexpected that they do end up slumping and have their numbers end up closer to the career norms.

Basically, regression towards some mean will happen. I do not believe for one second that the Indians have the second best offense in the American League, nor do I believe they have a top 3 pitching staff in the American League.

QUOTE (flavum @ May 25, 2011 -> 01:21 PM)
Correct.

Actually, it's starting to get scary how good the Red Sox offense is. Wouldn't surprise me if they cruised the rest of the season and won 96-100 games.

This is with a .546 OPS from Carl Crawford too.

QUOTE (flavum @ May 25, 2011 -> 12:21 PM)
Correct.

Actually, it's starting to get scary how good the Red Sox offense is. Wouldn't surprise me if they cruised the rest of the season and won 96-100 games.

It takes a bit for teams with that many big adds to gel. The Yankees usual do the same thing with the slow start and big finish.

Truely a sad day for Royals' fans/players/employees...

Paul Splittorff, the big left-hander who won more games than any Royals pitcher, died of complications from melanoma on Wednesday morning at the family home in Blue Springs, Mo. He was hospitalized on May 16 for treatment of oral cancer and melanoma but recently returned home, he was 64.

His difficulties became evident to Royals fans during the Opening Day telecast from Chicago on April 8, 2009. He teamed with Ryan Lefebvre to do the game but had problems with his voice and returned home to Kansas City.

Typically, Splittorff worked hard to recover, undergoing speech therapy in an effort to recapture his voice. He appeared in pre- and postgame broadcasts this year and worked in the booth during a series in Texas.

Splittorff's playing career spanned from 1970-84 and after his retirement he became known to a legion of baseball and Big 12 basketball fans as a highly respected and knowledgeable broadcaster. As a rookie in 1971, he showed his promise by recording a 2.68 ERA to go with an 8-9 record. In 1973, he went 20-11 and came close to that level in 1978, when he was 19-13.

“Just because you have a low payroll and you’re young doesn’t mean you’re rebuilding. It just means you don’t have the resources and that you’re young.”

He’s got an addendum today.

“It doesn’t make your success any less real.”

Manny Acta

http://sports.yahoo.com/mlb/news;_ylt=AkNe...est_team_052511

Jeff Passan feature article

QUOTE (Swingandalongonetoleft @ May 26, 2011 -> 12:51 PM)
Boston picking up right where they left off. This time against the Tigers. 5-0 through two. Hopefully they can continue this through Sunday.

7-0, out goes Scherzer. Sweep the Tigers please, then back off a little when you are back at Fenway on Monday

Right now it looks like the Sox will face Lester/Aceves/Wakefield, but no Buchholz or Beckett.

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ May 26, 2011 -> 01:00 PM)
7-0, out goes Scherzer. Sweep the Tigers please, then back off a little when you are back at Fenway on Monday

Right now it looks like the Sox will face Lester/Aceves/Wakefield, but no Buchholz or Beckett.

Just for the heck of it, I wanted to see who we'll face when Seattle comes to town...Pineda, Felix, Vargas.

There's the payback.

Edited by flavum

Seriously, the Indians are a f***ing anomaly.

Look at the standings around all of baseball. The Indians have a lead that's like 5 games more than any other first place team. They can't keep that up. Put the Sox in any other division in the AL and they're only a few games out. They're only 5 games off the pace for the Wild Card right now....

The fall for Cleveland will be swift and glorious to watch.

From Elias: Melky Cabrera, Eric Hosmer and Brayan Pena bombarded the Rangers with a trio of home runs in a five-run 14th inning as the Royals took a 12-7 decision in Arlington. In doing so, the Royals became the first team in major-league history to enjoy an inning of three-or-more homers in the 14th inning or later.

Pretty neat...

QUOTE (High Mileage @ May 28, 2011 -> 04:51 PM)
Pretty neat...

This is going to ultimately be a dumb question. But who cares. I say dumb s*** all the time. As a Royals fan, is there any combination of 5 players you would look at on the White Sox roster (minors included) and say I'll take that package for Hosmer? Because I can't come up with one. God that kid is so good.

Edited by Jordan4life

Reality has set in for the Royals. Or I guess you could say it set in a couple weeks ago. That starting pitching is beyond terrible. O'Sullivan doing his best Vin Mazzaro imitation. Looks like it's the Indians, Tigers orrrrrrrrrr

The Sox

QUOTE (Jordan4life @ May 28, 2011 -> 08:11 PM)
Reality has set in for the Royals. Or I guess you could say it set in a couple weeks ago. That starting pitching is beyond terrible. O'Sullivan doing his best Vin Mazzaro imitation. Looks like it's the Indians, Tigers orrrrrrrrrr

They've been losing quite a few close games lately. The offense has still been picking up the rotation, but that only gets them so far. June 1 (and/or after) should bring in a few more fresh faces....

QUOTE (High Mileage @ May 29, 2011 -> 05:57 PM)
They've been losing quite a few close games lately. The offense has still been picking up the rotation, but that only gets them so far. June 1 (and/or after) should bring in a few more fresh faces....

And I can't wait. I tune into Royals games just to watch Hosmer hit. Hey, and what happened to Jeffress? He got demoted? For what?

QUOTE (Jordan4life @ May 29, 2011 -> 07:10 PM)
And I can't wait. I tune into Royals games just to watch Hosmer hit. Hey, and what happened to Jeffress? He got demoted? For what?

I believe they are converting him back into a starter.