2011 MLB Catch-All Thread

Balta1701

• Replies 2.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (flavum @ Jul 8, 2011 -> 07:20 PM)
Yankees rained out...makeup game in September.

A lot of money was spent to see that game tonight, so I have to laugh.

If he has two hits in the September game, will they technically be 2,999 and 3,000?

QUOTE (ROC Sox Fan @ Jul 8, 2011 -> 08:15 PM)
If he has two hits in the September game, will they technically be 2,999 and 3,000?

No that would only be if they had a suspended game. The remainder of the suspended game goes to the stats from the original date.

Like the Sox had an April game suspended vs the Orioles a few years ago. Ken Griffey Jr. played in the rest of the game in August, and it technically went to his April splits.

QUOTE (Jordan4life @ Jul 8, 2011 -> 05:22 PM)
If the Sox fall behind early again I'm totally switching to Braves/Phillies. Arguably the two best teams in baseball right there.

Beachy looked pretty good, I thought. If that trade happens, it will likely be the first of several, as we'll have quite the SP surplus at that point.

QUOTE (Jordan4life @ Jul 9, 2011 -> 10:21 PM)
That's terrible. Anyway, Jose Bautista with another two HRs. I believe that's 98 HRs since mid-Sept of '09. f***ing amazing. Oh, and Mike Trout can fly.

Rolen is going because Aramis Ramirez refused to go. Everything about him just says lazy ass.

QUOTE (kageman129 @ Jul 8, 2011 -> 08:04 AM)
No one mentioned this on here yet? Angels promote Mike Trout from Double-A

http://sports.espn.go.com/los-angeles/mlb/...tory?id=6748299

I can't wait to see Trout play this weekend. Excellent skills and only 19 years old.

I still have no idea how he dropped to 25. I can't recall, but did he have some sign ability concerns? Unfortunately, I was not surprised that we passed on him in 09. We don't have a very good track record of drafting good baseball players, at least with position players, in the first round in a long time (key examples recently being good athletes who were terrible baseball IQ players like Fields and Anderson; jury still out on Mitchell, but I'm not very confident).

The Gordon Beckham one hurts, cause he's the most talented 1st rounder we've had in a while, but he's just shown a complete lack of baseball knowledge at the plate. He thinks he is a home run hitter when he should be going gap to gap, trying to spray line drives. I really wouldn't care if he hit only 5 homers a year, I was really hoping he'd be a double's machine. At least his defense has become superb at 2B.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Jul 9, 2011 -> 04:16 PM)
He was throwing at him. I don't think there was any doubt of that.

After Ortiz glared in at Gregg after the first inside pitch, can you blame any pitcher with an ego throwing at Ortiz in that situation? Clearly the first pitch had no intention except for trying to get an inside strike.

I just want to know if Ortiz is using again, because his career just all of a sudden took off again, and that gets kind of fishy considering he is in his mid-late 30's.

QUOTE (Swingandalongonetoleft @ Jul 14, 2011 -> 12:22 PM)
Brett Anderson had Tommy John surgery. Out 'till midway through the 2012 season. That A's rotation is kind of something with their injuries.

Some of those guys...the reason the A's were able to get them is that other teams thought they were injury concerns. Beane needs pitching that is undervalued...injury concern guys are undervalued.

QUOTE (Swingandalongonetoleft @ Jul 14, 2011 -> 11:22 AM)
Brett Anderson had Tommy John surgery. Out 'till midway through the 2012 season. That A's rotation is kind of something with their injuries.

The Blue Jays from a few years back also had guys who got injured left and right. A.J. Burnett, B.J. Ryan, Dustin McGowan, Shaun Marcum, etc. Nearly all their bullpen guys were side-armers or dropped down really low 3/4 and a lot of them got hurt a lot.