2011 White Sox Catch-All Thread

southsider2k5

QUOTE (fathom @ Jul 10, 2011 -> 09:02 PM)
This is just crazy, as I said in the game thread, we treated Peavy like Terry Mulholland his rubber arm used to be treated. Just put his ass on the DL, it's not like he's been effective anyways.

http://www.chicagotribune.com/sports/baseb...0,6203656.story

That's a name I haven't heard in a coon's age.

• Replies 3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

QUOTE (Milkman delivers @ Jul 11, 2011 -> 01:04 PM)
Where is that from?

QUOTE (The Baconator @ Jul 11, 2011 -> 01:50 PM)
Seriously. I want to know more about this.

It is on his twitter page.

http://twitter.com/#!/lomomarlins

We he has gotten in trouble for coincidentally. Sounds familiar for some reason...

http://content.usatoday.com/communities/da...e-down-tweets/1

QUOTE (pittshoganerkoff @ Jul 11, 2011 -> 04:18 PM)
Not that it should surprise anyone, but Heyman is reporting the Sox are fielding calls on Jackson. I don't imagine they'd get much back for him.

At this point I'd take a 4th OF.

QUOTE (BigSqwert @ Jul 11, 2011 -> 04:19 PM)
At this point I'd take a 4th OF.

He currently ranks as a type B free agent and anyone who trades for him will assuredly offer him arbitration. He should bring back something that is at least moderately interesting.

Edited by DirtySox

QUOTE (pittshoganerkoff @ Jul 11, 2011 -> 04:18 PM)
Not that it should surprise anyone, but Heyman is reporting the Sox are fielding calls on Jackson. I don't imagine they'd get much back for him.

The Jackson deals might be Swisher trades part 2 if we end up getting a bunch of nobodies back.

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Jul 11, 2011 -> 04:38 PM)
Why would we trade Jackson for anything less than a quality prospect. It is highly likely that he wouldn't accept arbitration and the White Sox would thus get draft picks.

Draft pick, singular. Atleast at the current state.

QUOTE (Stan Bahnsen @ Jul 11, 2011 -> 03:54 PM)
It's high enough to get a quality player in a good draft. Jackson should get us something.

I would love a sandwich pick next year for Jackson. Just hope Kenny does not screw it up.

QUOTE (oldsox @ Jul 11, 2011 -> 05:57 PM)
I would love a sandwich pick next year for Jackson. Just hope Kenny does not screw it up.

This is the risk going forward. We need to weigh if we can get a better player out of a trade than we can in the draft (obviously). The concern comes in with how much faith you put into our ability to draft the 'right' guy next year. It comes down to risk/reward- we might be able to get a low/medium-risk prospect or two for Jackson in a trade, or we risk another high pick that could end up being a bust. Very tough decision to make going forward, and I know I can't definitively say which is best.

I find it hilarious that people think we'd get nothing for Jackson. SP is always expensive at the deadline and while Jackson isn't a world-beater, he can eat some innings and potentially have a dominating stretch like he did for us last year. The rental factor hurts, but like everyone has said the type B compensation helps make up for it.

Someone will give you something of value for Jackson. We won't be getting a Hudson/Holmberg package, but I could easily see one desperate team giving us a top 100 prospect for him. What other SPs will be available? Which ones are far more valuable than Jackson? Like always, supply will drive up of a mediocre, yet talented pitcher.

QUOTE (Chicago White Sox @ Jul 12, 2011 -> 12:19 AM)
I find it hilarious that people think we'd get nothing for Jackson. SP is always expensive at the deadline and while Jackson isn't a world-beater, he can eat some innings and potentially have a dominating stretch like he did for us last year. The rental factor hurts, but like everyone has said the type B compensation helps make up for it.

Someone will give you something of value for Jackson. We won't be getting a Hudson/Holmberg package, but I could easily see one desperate team giving us a top 100 prospect for him. What other SPs will be available? Which ones are far more valuable than Jackson? Like always, supply will drive up of a mediocre, yet talented pitcher.

Maybe.

He's definitely a load of blah if you ask me.

He should copy Buehrle and work faster. At times he has good stuff.

QUOTE (Chicago White Sox @ Jul 11, 2011 -> 06:19 PM)

Jackson isn't pitching like it was thought (by many, not just the Sox) he should. It was the rental factor I was thinking about when I proposed we couldn't get much for him. I'm not well versed in the Type A vs. Type B compensation stuff, but I see now that we should get something halfway decent. No matter what, though, it does look like the trade for him was a dud.

Edited by pittshoganerkoff

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Jul 12, 2011 -> 08:09 AM)
Not to mention the market for starting pitching is supposed to be pretty bad this year.

Exactly

Some GM will get nervous and overspend as there are plenty of teams in the race, especially in the NL. You package Jackson, Pierre and Bruney and you can get a nice deal.

QUOTE (Harry Chappas @ Jul 12, 2011 -> 04:20 PM)
Exactly

Some GM will get nervous and overspend as there are plenty of teams in the race, especially in the NL. You package Jackson, Pierre and Bruney and you can get a nice deal.

That's a weird package. A mediocre starter, leftfielder at the end of his career who we want to run out of town who really doesn't bring much to the table, and just another guy in the bullpen.

What do you expect back? Not to mention Jackson and Pierre make good money.

I have a gut feeling we'll keep Jackson. Who knows if we can dump Rios, Pierre and Dunn. Highly doubtful.

Edited by greg775

QUOTE (greg775 @ Jul 12, 2011 -> 01:36 PM)
That's a weird package. A mediocre starter, leftfielder at the end of his career who we want to run out of town who really doesn't bring much to the table, and just another guy in the bullpen.

What do you expect back? Not to mention Jackson and Pierre make good money.

I have a gut feeling we'll keep Jackson. Who knows if we can dump Rios, Pierre and Dunn. Highly doubtful.

They fit needs that playoff teams want filled with veterans as oppossed to young kids they may be using at this time. Salaries do not mean much if there is playoff run at stake.

There is no team taking Dunn or Rios unless the white sox are eating salary which they won't.