White Sox acquire Gaby Hernandez from Royals

AWhiteSoxinNJ

Royals traded RHP Gaby Hernandez to the White Sox in exchange for cash considerations.

Hernandez was a decent prospect way back when, but even though he's still just 24, he hasn't progressed as hoped. The owner of a 4.91 ERA and 1.35 WHIP over 144 2/3 innings for Triple-A Omaha last season, he'll give the Sox some depth at Triple-A.

Per Rotoworld.com

QUOTE (Jordan4life @ Mar 25, 2011 -> 07:44 PM)
Lol. I initially read this as Gaby Sanchez and nearly had a heart attack. Nothing to get excited about here.

That's what I thought. Just how many Gabys are there in baseball?

Gaby Sanchez wouldn't have much of a role on this year's team though...or any White Sox team in the next 3 years.

QUOTE (chw42 @ Mar 25, 2011 -> 07:50 PM)
That's what I thought. Just how many Gabys are there in baseball?

Gaby Sanchez wouldn't have much of a role on this year's team though...or any White Sox team in the next 3 years.

Yeah I know. That was just my initial reaction. And even if it were true, you know me, try him in LF and bench you know who.

QUOTE (Jordan4life @ Mar 25, 2011 -> 08:21 PM)
Yeah I know. That was just my initial reaction. And even if it were true, you know me, try him in LF and bench you know who.

Alex Rios? Cuz you know Juan Pierre ain't coming out of that lineup! WHO IS GONNA LEADOFF THEN HUH?

QUOTE (Jordan4life @ Mar 25, 2011 -> 08:21 PM)

Sanchez's defense in RF can't be any worse than Quentin's. So there's a thought.

QUOTE (YASNY @ Mar 26, 2011 -> 09:04 AM)
The Royals gave up on him. What else do you need to know?

C'mon Yas, sometimes that's a matter of coaching, you know that. Link

Just what kind of pitcher did the Mariners get in return for Arthur Rhodes? Here's a closer look at Gaby Hernandez:

The 6-foot-3, 215-pound right-hander was selected by the New York Mets in the third round of the 2004 First-Year Player Draft out of a Miami-area high school. He made an immediate impression by leading the Gulf Coast League with a 1.09 ERA, striking out 58 batters over his first 49 2/3 pro innings.

He was equally impressive in his first full season, reaching Class A Advanced as a teenager. In the first half of 2005, Hernandez was a South Atlantic League All-Star, posting a 2.43 ERA and .179 opponents' batting average before struggling a bit following a promotion to the Florida State League. That offseason, he was sent, along with outfielder Dante Brinkley, to the Marlins for catcher Paul LoDuca. In his first full season with the Marlins organization (2006), Hernandez was outstanding, spending the season in the FSL at age 20 and going 9-7 with a 3.68 ERA and a nifty 115/35 K/BB ratio in 120 innings. His 2007 season was a little up and down, though he was a Southern League All-Star at age 21 and topped the 150-inning plateau for the first time.

During Spring Training this year, Hernandez was briefly in the mix to be the Marlins' No. 5 starter. He pitched well in camp but eventually got sent down and began the year with Triple-A Albuquerque. Things didn't go well for him in New Mexico, as he went 2-8 with a 7.24 ERA over 13 starts, spending nearly a month on the disabled list with an intercostal strain before being sent down to Double-A to get straightened out. He has gone 3-0 with a 4.30 ERA in four starts since and has looked much sharper.

When Hernandez is right, he's got a good three-pitch mix: a fastball that sits in the low 90s and can reach 94 mph; a breaking ball that is a plus at times; and a changeup that is also above average. Even with his demotion to Double-A, Hernandez is still fairly young for his level and could be ready for a big league callup in 2009.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Mar 26, 2011 -> 11:38 AM)
G!'s curveball wasn't just described as "plus at times" on his way up. When he was drafted, he was drafted with a legendary curveball.

It was described as very inconsistent, which is exactly what it sounds like in this case.