What is Going Wrong With the Sox

Felix

• Replies 400
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Steve9347 @ Apr 15, 2011 -> 11:35 PM)
Jesus Christ in a dump truck.

This will be what I say from now on when Dunn hits a home run.

QUOTE (SoxAce @ Apr 16, 2011 -> 12:05 AM)
Felix is straight owning you fools.

This, Felix has gotta be trollin'. Really well to, this thread has me laughing hysterically.

QUOTE (Felix @ Apr 15, 2011 -> 09:56 PM)
I never said anything to the contrary. You're all reading wayyyyyyyyy too much into what I've said.

If you like facts, how about these?

FACT: Dunn strikes out a lot.

FACT: Dunn doesn't manufacture runs.

FACT: Dunn clogs up the bases

FACT: Dunn will NEVER compete for a batting title.

FACT: Dunn HAS NEVER won 81 or more games in a season.

FACT: Since adding Dunn, the team's defense has gotten considerably worse.

FACT: Dunn CANNOT bunt at all.

None of this is disputable, and it is the exact reason why we need to drop this dead weight sooner rather than later.

Actually, Felix, I would like to dispute some of these.

1) Dunn K's a lot, indeed. That's not disputable. For every 4 ABs, not counting including walks, he strikes out once.

2) Dunn DOES manufacture runs. According to Baseball reference dot com, he has manufactured 868 runs scored in 11 baseball seasons, an average of 97 per a 162 game season. He also has 885 Runs Batted In, a 162-game avg of 99. Your statement, then, taken at face value, would be incorrect.

3) Dunn is not a burner, a Rickey Henderson-type. True. He also has no stolen bases in the last 3 years. However, from 01-08 he had 59 stolen bases. Not bad for a guy his size. Your statement can be disputed. His SB success rate is near an impressive 80% within that timeframe. Again, he's not a burner, but his role is clear...he's not here to steal bases. We can also dispute your #3 statement by going back to #2 on the runs scored and the RBIs he has hit for.

4) Dunn will never compete for a batting title. This I cannot dispute. He does have a career BA of .250. His high strikeout total will hinder his BA too.

5) Dunn has never, ever won a game, nor 81 games in a season. The reason is that he's not a PITCHER. He's a hitter. Leave the wins totals to those who pitch.

6) Dunn has only been a DH doing his six whole games with my beloved Pale Hose. So, your #6 statement is disputed. Being a DH does not add anything to a team's defense. Only offense.

7) Dunn cannot bunt at all......disputed. How can we really say this if none of us ever seen him attempt a bunt? Again, his role is not to be a sacrifice bunter. It's to swing the bat to drive in runs, and to help the team by scoring as much as possible.

I will also add the following facts as to why the White Sox have been after this guy for a bit:

1) His career OBP of .381.

2) His walk total helps his OBP and OPS (which a career avg of .902 is not too shabby), thus HE IS helping the team manufacture runs.

3) Being a left-handed bat brings value to a predominately-right-handed-batting lineup.

4) He can spell Paul Konerko at 1b from time to time playing in the field. He has done the 1b before in the National League, as well as he can play the outfield. So he brings in added value to spell the OFs once in a while.

IMHO, your "facts" are more frustration towards the Sox overall than just one player. And remember, Dunn did sign a four year contract, so get used to seeing Adam Troy Dunn in the Sox's lineup.

:gosoxretro:

I m kinda new to this board but is it always like this? It isnt bad or anything to you know have debates about opinions but if it gets to a point where its the norm and where the topics are hillarious like the one we had today about Dunn then yea.....

Actually,

Soxtalk posters are the best around. It's pretty fun...well, rephrase.

When the Sox win, good times.

When they lose, it's a cross between watching a car to train wreck to Laugh Out Loud Night at the local comedy club.

QUOTE (Jerksticks @ Apr 15, 2011 -> 11:34 PM)
I agree with the OP. I hated the Thome trade and the Dunn signing simply because I don't like this type of player. Saber guys love him. Guys like us that like watching players who can get creative with the baseball will often be frustrated with Dunn. But he sure is gonna hit a bunch of crowd-pleasers and he's on my favorite team, so we gotta get over it dude. Cheer for the man.

Is Juan Pierre creative?

Edited by chw42

QUOTE (kapzk @ Apr 16, 2011 -> 12:19 AM)
I m kinda new to this board but is it always like this? It isnt bad or anything to you know have debates about opinions but if it gets to a point where its the norm and where the topics are hillarious like the one we had today about Dunn then yea.....

All the time.

Edited by chw42

I would never spend half my night arguing over adum f***ing dunn. If u r a mlb fan....then u know who adam dunn is, no reason to make a thread about something that is GUARANTEED to happen at least once a week. Can't wait for "Dunn is DONE: volume 53". GMAFB...dunno what's funnier, the thread or the fact that I read most of it.

QUOTE (onedude @ Apr 16, 2011 -> 01:39 AM)
I would never spend half my night arguing over adum f***ing dunn. If u r a mlb fan....then u know who adam dunn is, no reason to make a thread about something that is GUARANTEED to happen at least once a week. Can't wait for "Dunn is DONE: volume 53". GMAFB...dunno what's funnier, the thread or the fact that I read most of it.

The latter. Because the former succeeded in its purpose.

I wonder what Felix would be writing about Joe Mauer if he was a Twins' fan?

If we had a normal Juan Pierre and Matt Thornton, we'd be somewhere between 9-4 and 11-2.

Tonight's game wasn't one you could have expected to win based on Humber starting and how well Weaver has pitched recently...if we lose the next 2 games, I can't even imagine who will be the target.

Dunn just came back a couple of games ago and now he's a whipping boy?

I think we need to worry more about defensive lapses and the bullpen first.

QUOTE (Jordan4life @ Apr 16, 2011 -> 03:18 AM)
Question..., what is a normal Juan Pierre? If it's what I think it is I don't want to know what an abnormal Juan Pierre is.

Normal Juan Pierre doesn't miss routine fly balls. The only thing he could pride himself on was his defense...before he started missing can of corns.

QUOTE (chw42 @ Apr 16, 2011 -> 03:30 AM)
Normal Juan Pierre doesn't miss routine fly balls. The only thing he could pride himself on was his defense...before he started missing can of corns.

I see. I guess I can accept that. I thought it was being implied that he's good and underachieving. Only 149 more games to go until he is no longer part of this organization.

QUOTE (kapzk @ Apr 16, 2011 -> 12:19 AM)

Dude. This is the most ridiculous post I've ever seen. So full of lies. This is like the lonely kid in gym class kinda walking by thinking he might get picked because he talked to Steven about gold fish at the water fountain earlier. No worries mate, there aren't any firepits, snakes and Soxtalk drums banging at the initiation, just post whatever you want. First rule of Soxtalk: There's no limping into Soxtalk.

QUOTE (Felix @ Apr 16, 2011 -> 02:26 AM)
He's played over 1400 in his career and has never been on a team that won more than 80 games.

Adam Dunn not playing on a winner before is not Adam Dunn's fault. Yes, he k's a lot, but he can hit the homer, get the walk, drive in runs and can hit for average. If you wish to use k's as the tipping point I would remind you that Jim Thome k's a lot too. But, Big Jim was a great DH to have on a team. We have only played 13 games and Dunn was out for what 5-6-7 of those? He will be a force for this team.