WTF are we waiting for ? Call up Viciedo !

macsandz

• Replies 878
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Jun 27, 2011 -> 05:13 PM)
Harper would not be called up to the big leagues, he's still in A-ball.

Is it illegal to bring a prospect up out of A ball? Or because he is 18?

http://thexlog.com/201105190839/xtra-bases...league-arrival/

The reason Harper has no shot at the majors this year or even to open the year with the Nationals on the roster next year has nothing to do with his “development on the field.” The reason for this is purely financial and anyone telling you differently is either ignorant about the topic if they are outside the organization, or lying if they are part or the organization. If Harper appears in the big leagues before Sept. 1 this season, he would start accruing service time and be eligible for free agency after the 2017 season. The same would hold true if he’s on the Opening Day roster next year.

You can be certain that Harper will not debut in the majors until late May or early June of 2012 as the Nationals will make certain that he does not spend more than 86 days on the Major League Roster in 2012. Doing this will ensure that Harper does not achieve “Super Two “ status, giving the Nationals control over him for another season, through 2018. This will also make it so that he would not be eligible for salary arbitration until 2016.

Now before we get into this large debate over Harpers readiness in the bigs, I know he is not fully ready. He is learning a new position and learning how to be a pro. Both are not easy things. However, I do believe this kid is fully able to come to the bigs and compete, and probably at a high level.

The question was "How many teams with a struggling offense would keep their top prospect in the minors who is raking?", and Harper fits the bill.

Desmond Jennings also does, and before him Delmon Young was in the same boat with the Rays

So Viciedo's at 83 days of service and there's about 93 days left in the regular season so if they called him up today he'd finish the year with something like 176 days of service which is 1.004. If they want to wait the 5 days or so to grab an extra year of control I'm cool with it. They've somehow managed to hold off calling him up despite 2 weeks of strong pressure from the media, fan base and I'm sure their consciences so what the hell? What's another week?

I guess we can only hope that this is their plan, that Twins series before the break is probably going to be pretty f***ing ugly with our current lineup, adding a potential impact bat could change that. Though I'd say the 15th is far more likely than the 4th.

QUOTE (Kalapse @ Jun 27, 2011 -> 08:48 PM)
So Viciedo's at 83 days of service and there's about 93 days left in the regular season so if they called him up today he'd finish the year with something like 176 days of service which is 1.004. If they want to wait the 5 days or so to grab an extra year of control I'm cool with it. They've somehow managed to hold off calling him up despite 2 weeks of strong pressure from the media, fan base and I'm sure their consciences so what the hell? What's another week?

I guess we can only hope that this is their plan, that Twins series before the break is probably going to be pretty f***ing ugly with our current lineup, adding a potential impact bat could change that. Though I'd say the 15th is far more likely than the 4th.

Do you think JP is DFA, or something else happens?

Im really unsure about it, for some reason I think JP stays on the team, and I hate thinking that.

QUOTE (Kalapse @ Jun 27, 2011 -> 08:48 PM)

How many days is one full year of service time?

EDIT: 172 for arbitration purposes, but a full season is 182 days in calendar counting.

Edited by maggsmaggs

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ Jun 27, 2011 -> 08:51 PM)

Im really unsure about it, for some reason I think JP stays on the team, and I hate thinking that.

Yeah he really is the only option. Dunn could go to the DL I suppose for a couple weeks with some phantom injury. But Teahen is here to stay. Omar is. Bacon to AAA? It really boils down to JP has to be released for Dayan to get the call.

QUOTE (maggsmaggs @ Jun 27, 2011 -> 09:50 PM)
I would love a reporter to summon up the balls and ask KW if the reason Viciedo is still in AAA is because of his service time thing. Granted KW couldn't come out and say that, but I would love to see his eyes swell up in fury over the question.

If he comes up in like 6 days, that'll be the cheapest move we've ever seen from this team.

QUOTE (maggsmaggs @ Jun 28, 2011 -> 02:53 AM)
Yeah he really is the only option. Dunn could go to the DL I suppose for a couple weeks with some phantom injury. But Teahen is here to stay. Omar is. Bacon to AAA? It really boils down to JP has to be released for Dayan to get the call.

use pain from his surgery as the reason and that can't be that far fetched

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ Jun 27, 2011 -> 08:51 PM)

Yeah I kinda do see it being Pierre, there's Really no other move to be made. Though it could just be wishful thinking, it's also common sense and if common f***ing sense is winning out in the White Sox organization then KW is looking for NL trade partners right now in an attempt to save a modicum of face. The sentence 'the kid forced our hand' should suffice in the end when it comes time to dump Juan in favor of a scalding hot 21 year old.

QUOTE (Kalapse @ Jun 27, 2011 -> 09:25 PM)
Yeah I kinda do see it being Pierre, there's Really no other move to be made. Though it could just be wishful thinking, it's also common sense and if common f***ing sense is winning out in the White Sox organization then KW is looking for NL trade partners right now in an attempt to save a modicum of face. The sentence 'the kid forced our hand' should suffice in the end when it comes time to dump Juan in favor of a scalding hot 21 year old.

I know, it makes too much sense for them to do it. Today would have been the perfect day to bring him up too.

QUOTE (BigSqwert @ Jun 27, 2011 -> 03:53 PM)
Gotta love having two of the s***tiest hitters in all of baseball getting a ton of ABs on our team. We might as well get rid of the DH and let some of our pitchers get ABs. They can't be much worse.

That would be my only reason to get Carlos Zambrano.

QUOTE (hawksox13 @ Jun 27, 2011 -> 03:12 PM)
I want Viciedo up just as much as everyone else. But because the Sox (for some unknown reason) didn't bring him up a month or so ago, it really does make the most sense at this point to hold off for five more days. At that point it won't cost the Sox one of his arbitration years. I'm not saying he shouldn't have been brought up sooner, just saying because they waited this long, might as well wait five more days and then pull the trigger.

That makes sense. Plus he switched to playing the outfield.

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ Jun 27, 2011 -> 09:46 PM)
I know, it makes too much sense for them to do it. Today would have been the perfect day to bring him up too.

In one way, this is Pierre's "last gasp or last stand" playing NL style ball for six more games.

On the other, Viciedo could actually decapitate some fans with line drives out in Denver.