The official "end of Ozzie soon?" thread

whitesoxbrian

QUOTE (spiderman @ Jul 9, 2011 -> 04:58 PM)
Pass on that. He does a great job with the pitching staff. Let him focus on that.

And let him know very clearly that you want him to $tay. Coop is a still under-appreciated godsend.

• Replies 310
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (South Side Fireworks Man @ Jul 9, 2011 -> 06:09 PM)
Ozzie deserves to be fired after the way he managed the game today.

I'm not sure what to expect, whether it's nothing (which has been the standard operating procedure all season), fire the hitting coach, or do something a bit more drastic like getting rid of Cora/Guillen.

QUOTE (spiderman @ Jul 9, 2011 -> 06:14 PM)
I know Cora and Guillen are thought to be tied at the hip.

Oh for sure, and thank god for that. Personally, whoever our next manager is, I hope our bench coach isn't a mini version of him.

I get the feeling that Baines would prefer to stay in Chicago, regardless of whoever the manager is (not like whoever the 1B coach is a pressing matter). Cox is a solid 3B coach, but it's no big loss if he leaves.

Walker, I would have to imagine, would be gone for sure no matter what. There is just no way to justify keeping him if Ozzie is gone.

Coop is really the only coach that needs to stay here for life unless a different team wants to give him a shot at being manager.

QUOTE (Paulstar @ Jul 9, 2011 -> 06:27 PM)
Oh for sure, and thank god for that. Personally, whoever our next manager is, I hope our bench coach isn't a mini version of him.

I get the feeling that Baines would prefer to stay in Chicago, regardless of whoever the manager is (not like whoever the 1B coach is a pressing matter). Cox is a solid 3B coach, but it's no big loss if he leaves.

Walker, I would have to imagine, would be gone for sure no matter what. There is just no way to justify keeping him if Ozzie is gone.

Coop is really the only coach that needs to stay here for life unless a different team wants to give him a shot at being manager.

If a change was made mid-season, I'm not sure how that impact the current coaching staff. My guess would be that Cora would be gone, maybe you get another new coach, but I think the makeover would come in the off-season. I would hope that Cooper would be safe under any new manager.

QUOTE (flavum @ Jul 9, 2011 -> 04:15 PM)
Hope it's true that Ozzie's gone soon, but Kenny deserves it more than anyone.

I'd be willing to gift wrap Rios for the Marlins. Oz aint perfect.....but there's plenty of dead weight, non aggressive, lightwts on this team.....starting w Alex Rios or Mark Teahen.

Who's decision was it spend big $ to sign, Rios, Teahen, Dunn, Peavy?

QUOTE (spiderman @ Jul 9, 2011 -> 06:35 PM)
If a change was made mid-season, I'm not sure how that impact the current coaching staff. My guess would be that Cora would be gone, maybe you get another new coach, but I think the makeover would come in the off-season. I would hope that Cooper would be safe under any new manager.

Agreed. But I would hope that any scenario that involves Oz leaving mid-season, that Cora and Walker would be automatically included.

QUOTE (Paulstar @ Jul 9, 2011 -> 06:39 PM)
Agreed. But I would hope that any scenario that involves Oz leaving mid-season, that Cora and Walker would be automatically included.

Cora would be gone for sure, I think Walker is likely gone as well given the struggles of the hitters. I have no idea what, if anything, is going to happen though.

If a change comes it will be after the season. They aren't so far behind that they can't stay "all in" the rest of the way. I wouldn't mind seeing it but I very much doubt it. A rebuild with a new manager is appropiate after one last hurrah the second half.

QUOTE (since56 @ Jul 10, 2011 -> 01:08 AM)
If a change comes it will be after the season. They aren't so far behind that they can't stay "all in" the rest of the way. I wouldn't mind seeing it but I very much doubt it. A rebuild with a new manager is appropiate after one last hurrah the second half.

Why? This will be perfect for Ozzie, who can instantly join a network as analyst while negotiating with Florida. It's pretty obvious he's Florida's next manager, so might as well get it started now.

Who knows? If the new manager can get these loafers to play ball for 10 days or so, the guys might be interested enough to be in the putrid Central Division race the rest of the way.

Then as we all know, we're counting on a similar pitching performance as 05 and we win it all.

I can dream.

Bye, Oz. It's really sad it didn't work out. Oz is still a young man, coulda been with us a LONG LONG time.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Jul 9, 2011 -> 05:29 PM)
Neither one of those sound plausible. A guy looking for a job is going to call Ozzie? BS. And the Sox reached out to LaRussa? Yeah, I don't see that one either.

"Former manager" and "guy looking for a job" aren't necessarily the same thing. If KW was gauging interest, then he was trying to find out whether a given former manager was, in fact, looking for a job.

QUOTE (Baron @ Jul 9, 2011 -> 09:11 PM)
Buster_ESPN Buster Olney

Lots of rumors swirling about managerial change with the White Sox, but high-ranking source says change with Ozzie not being considered.

from twitter....ug

Goddamnit....

QUOTE (mmmmmbeeer @ Jul 9, 2011 -> 06:43 PM)
I really want to see what this team can do with a different vibe in the clubhouse and in the dugout. I'm not sure which I'd prefer more...a numbers guy or a hard ass.

A hard ass is nothing but a noise maker in a sport of guaranteed contracts.