Sox fielding calls for Edwin Jackson

Baron

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Jul 13, 2011 -> 01:27 PM)
If posting rumors on this site didnt end up in SI and MLBTR.com then it would be easier to discuss.

Is Buehrle on that list? Obviously, he is my favorite player, so I am just wondering. Thanks.

• Replies 186
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Jul 13, 2011 -> 01:26 PM)
Konerko is an interesting one. With his contract and his age contrasted by having Dunn and Viciedo, plus what we could get for him, it would be worth listening to.

I almost think Paulie wouldn't mind a trade to the DBags at all...you'd probably have to take back a crappy contract (Zack Duke)...but their farm is rich. Problem is I think they really value their farm and don't really want to purge it. Realistically there's probably only 2 places he'd ok a trade to....AZ and the Angels.

I'm assuming all of this talk and speculation about moving significant parts of our ballclub is predicated on the belief that the Sox will collapse in the next two weeks and be completely out of the race for the division by month's end. Because outside of that scenario, I personally don't see any useful veterans being moved for younger talent, especially unproven talent. That would completely fly in the face of and contradict the "ALL IN" propaganda of this year, and more importantly, it would signal another "White Flag" scenario. I cannot for one second imagine Jerry Reinsdorf allowing this organization to get anywhere near a situation whereby the Sox could be construed as throwing in the towel prematurely. The amount of criticism and abuse that was heaved on this organization after the "White Flag" trades of '97 was unbelievable. I could see, maybe, a trade of someone like Jackson for someone who could be viewed as instrumental in this year's race, but otherwise, I just don't see any of this happening, unless we fall out of the race in the next couple of weeks.

QUOTE (Wanne @ Jul 13, 2011 -> 01:57 PM)
I almost think Paulie wouldn't mind a trade to the DBags at all...you'd probably have to take back a crappy contract (Zack Duke)...but their farm is rich. Problem is I think they really value their farm and don't really want to purge it. Realistically there's probably only 2 places he'd ok a trade to....AZ and the Angels.

AZ needs a 1B badly, too. How much you want to bet we'd end up getting Brandon Allen back? Ha

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Jul 12, 2011 -> 01:51 PM)
I don't know if Jackson is a headcase...I think his biggest problem is the lack of a third remotely effective pitch. He's all 2 pitches...fastball slider. If both of those pitches are on 100% of the time, then he's near unhittable. If either of those pitches isn't giving him control that day though, then he's rapidly a 1-pitch pitcher or worse. He can still win some of those games because 1 of those pitches is a 96 mph fastball, but he has to throw a lot of pitches to win a game like that if he doesn't have the slider.

Throw in one more pitch that comes in the low to mid 80's, even if it's not hugely effective every game, and suddenly even on days where he has no control over the slider, he can keep people off balance by changing velocity. Or, similarly, get him to do a better job of changing up the velocity on his fastball. Something. He just doesn't have the repertoire needed to be an everyday starter unless his 2 pitches are there all the time.

I think he takes too much time on the mound. There's no rhythm and it allows your fielders to fall asleep.

QUOTE (Thad Bosley @ Jul 13, 2011 -> 02:50 PM)
I'm assuming all of this talk and speculation about moving significant parts of our ballclub is predicated on the belief that the Sox will collapse in the next two weeks and be completely out of the race for the division by month's end. Because outside of that scenario, I personally don't see any useful veterans being moved for younger talent, especially unproven talent. That would completely fly in the face of and contradict the "ALL IN" propaganda of this year, and more importantly, it would signal another "White Flag" scenario. I cannot for one second imagine Jerry Reinsdorf allowing this organization to get anywhere near a situation whereby the Sox could be construed as throwing in the towel prematurely. The amount of criticism and abuse that was heaved on this organization after the "White Flag" trades of '97 was unbelievable. I could see, maybe, a trade of someone like Jackson for someone who could be viewed as instrumental in this year's race, but otherwise, I just don't see any of this happening, unless we fall out of the race in the next couple of weeks.

Maybe it's my faulty memory, but I feel like '97 was totally different. 3.5 games out with lots of signs of life. This year's team hasn't played well at all for 95% of the season so far, and with a record payroll there are major implications in not dealing some guys. This team has the feel of a total failure, only because on paper they should be running away with the division. Of course, that also implies that you don't want to give up to soon because they could get hot, but it would be very very risky to hold onto Jackson/Quentin.

QUOTE (BigSqwert @ Jul 12, 2011 -> 01:45 PM)
How many teams are going to want our overpaid terrible players with long contracts? You're making it sound like there's a demand for Rios, Peavy and Pierre.

I wish people wouldn't waste font bringing up those names. Accept that the Sox are stuck with them. Eventually someone is going to lose their civility over this.

QUOTE (pittshoganerkoff @ Jul 12, 2011 -> 02:04 PM)
Rasmus for Rios, Jackson, and the Goose Island Brewery...oh, wait

Only if the Goose Island Brewery can be located in the West. Goose Island isn't available in the Phoenix area.

QUOTE (Eminor3rd @ Jul 13, 2011 -> 02:01 PM)
Maybe it's my faulty memory, but I feel like '97 was totally different. 3.5 games out with lots of signs of life. This year's team hasn't played well at all for 95% of the season so far, and with a record payroll there are major implications in not dealing some guys. This team has the feel of a total failure, only because on paper they should be running away with the division. Of course, that also implies that you don't want to give up to soon because they could get hot, but it would be very very risky to hold onto Jackson/Quentin.

I see what you are saying, but it's quite possible that despite how awful we've looked this season, we could conceivably find ourselves only 3.5 games out in the next week or so. And if that's the case, then I just can't see us making any moves that would even remotely appear to make us weaker vs. stronger for the remainder of this season. The only way I see trades of any useful veterans is if we take a nosedive in the standings between now and July 31st.

QUOTE (Chicago White Sox @ Jul 13, 2011 -> 09:24 AM)
<!--quoteo(post=2431292:date=Jul 13, 2011 -> 07:47 AM:name=Balta1701)-->
QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Jul 13, 2011 -> 07:47 AM)
<!--quotec-->Even if we wanted to move Adam Dunn somewhere in the field...we legitimately have no where to put him. We're still searching for a leadoff replacement for Pierre who will have to be put somewhere, we've got Viciedo ready to break in, and Lillibridge has flat out earned more playing time than he's gotten.

All I'm saying is if Dunn is struggling because he can't handle DHing, then you must start thinking outside the box. We can't have a $14 million/year DH that can't hit. If playing the field were to change that, then you have to consider moving him to LF. His defense would be awful, but you could conceivably get more value out of him if moving from DH allowed him to start hitting than what we are getting now.

Now, I don't think his problems are related to DHing specifically, but if he continues to struggle into next year, then that becomes a more realistic possibility. And if that there were to happen, he becomes valueless and unmoveable, so you'd have to try something drastic. Let's just hope he has a good second half and this will not be an issue again.

That really doesn't sound so bad. Vic would probably be comfortable in the DH spot.

QUOTE (kitekrazy @ Jul 13, 2011 -> 09:00 PM)
I think he takes too much time on the mound. There's no rhythm and it allows your fielders to fall asleep.

How dumb is it for Edwin to not speed the f*** up?

His style of pitching is stupid.

QUOTE (greg775 @ Jul 13, 2011 -> 05:51 PM)
How dumb is it for Edwin to not speed the f*** up?

His style of pitching is stupid.

People can be successful pitching slowly. Steroids Betancourt has made a career out of it. Just because Mark! does the opposite doesn't mean pitching slowly can't work.

QUOTE (Thad Bosley @ Jul 13, 2011 -> 03:19 PM)
I see what you are saying, but it's quite possible that despite how awful we've looked this season, we could conceivably find ourselves only 3.5 games out in the next week or so. And if that's the case, then I just can't see us making any moves that would even remotely appear to make us weaker vs. stronger for the remainder of this season. The only way I see trades of any useful veterans is if we take a nosedive in the standings between now and July 31st.

I agree. I think KW's worst case scenario is that we remain 5-6 games out by July 31, instead of getting hot or completely falling apart. If the next ten days seals our fate, it'll be an easy decision to make.

QUOTE (Eminor3rd @ Jul 13, 2011 -> 11:08 PM)
I agree. I think KW's worst case scenario is that we remain 5-6 games out by July 31, instead of getting hot or completely falling apart. If the next ten days seals our fate, it'll be an easy decision to make.

That's the problem with our organization.

Why wait and see what happens the next 10 days?

Why not be proactive?

Guys, this team is not going to suddenly become good on the offensive end.

No way.

I'm in favor of firing everybody if Dayan isn't up here by Saturday.

Fire them all.

It's like we are conceding.

And guess what, stick him at f***ing third base if we can't replace Juan.

He's played it before.

QUOTE (greg775 @ Jul 13, 2011 -> 11:01 PM)
That's the problem with our organization.

Why wait and see what happens the next 10 days?

Why not be proactive?

Guys, this team is not going to suddenly become good on the offensive end.

No way.

There's really no way to say that with 100% confidence. I would say this team has a better chance of a drastic offensive improvement in the 2nd half of the season than any Sox team I can recall.

Since Ozzie has been the manager, 2004, no Sox team has had a better second half record than the first half. We all know that the Sox are not going to the playoffs. However, KW is as pigheaded as they come so he will very likely make very few changes.

Although I cannot see how he can not trade Jackson. Even KW can't be that dense.

If it were me, I would trade Quentin, Buehrle, Pierre, Jackson and Teahen for the best prospects available. Ofcourse, this is only of value if you plan to upgrade player development, increase scouting and invest in international signings. That's what is called a rebuild. The Sox organization has no philosphy resembling this. This would require J.R. to have a philophy change and he would have to start over with all new front office personnel.

Since hell isn't freezing over I will expect more of the same in years to come.

whom is realistically tradable? I think to anwser that you have to look at seasons coming down the road. The White Sox only have four starters signed going into next season with Jackson and Buehrle being free agents, so looking at that you certainly don't trade Danks, Floyd, Peavy or Humber. You can move either Jackson or Buehrle however, but given the two, Jackson is much more likely to be moved.Rumors are swirling that the Yankees, and other teams, are calling for Edwin Jackson. White Sox will probably want either MLB-ready player or a regular starter from the Yankees or anyone else for that matter. I would love Brett Gardner on the South Side but just Jackson probably wouldn't cut it

Looking at the line-up, the White Sox have most of them coming back next season with only Pierre being a free agent after this season. However, after 2011 Carlos Quentin is a free agent. If you move Quentin, you have to find someone to replace him, obviously. You assume Viciedo replaces Pierre, and you can probably put Alejandro De Aza in for Quentin if he's moved. The White Sox could also want to resign him with roughly 14 million coming off the payroll after 2012.

Rumor was flying that Carlos Quentin could be sent to Atlanta for minor league starter Brandon Beachy. Looking at his stats, adding Beachy would be a solid pick up, but then you lose a guy who usually has a high OBP, and when heathy, a guy who can club hit you around 25 home runs. Plus you still have Edwin Jackson.

If they do move Quentin then don't re-sign Pierre this offseason, which they wont, then Sox can put two young pieces in the two corner spots in De Aza and Viciedo. Its kind of lame that four players take up 55MM on the payroll, but if they produce then you're getting what you pay for. If not, then its dead money. And so far only Konerko is being what we paid for.

I assume Quentin is getting moved because even though they can probably re-sign him after next season, I don't think they do I reckon they're content with Viciedo in RF and its less money the brass has to shell out, and I assume Jackson is moved because he's not resigning and they want something for him instead of letting him walk.