Quentin sought after by BOS

harfman77

QUOTE (Lillian @ Jul 30, 2011 -> 07:37 AM)
I don't follow the Braves, however it looks like they could use help in both CF and one of the corner OF spots.

Why not trade them Quentin, and Rios, for some really decent young pitching and one position prospect?

If they want Quentin, they have to take Rios, who might even flourish in the N. L.

At least he could be as good Coco Crisp, with a lot more upside.

I'd hate to lose TCQ, but if it meant unloading Rios, it might be worth it.

Maybe we could then use the money saved by shedding the Rios contract to buy Carlos back when he becomes a free agent.

That's a great concept, but KW demanding that would either be laughed at or hung up on or both. Considering Rios contract and what Quentin will get in arbitration next year, there aren't a lot of teams, if any, willing to take on that kind of cash, especially considering what reasonably expected production you could expect. I love him, butCQ has his warts, and Rios is a dog.

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Jul 30, 2011 -> 06:42 AM)
That's a great concept, but KW demanding that would either be laughed at or hung up on or both. Considering Rios contract and what Quentin will get in arbitration next year, there aren't a lot of teams, if any, willing to take on that kind of cash, especially considering what reasonably expected production you could expect. I love him, butCQ has his warts, and Rios is a dog.

Well, maybe it's more feasible than would appear at first glance. Remember, McLouth will be a free agent at the end of the season, and the Braves would have to spend almost as much in exercising the 2012 option for $10.65 Million, as the $12 million owed Rios next year.

In the meantime, the Braves would have their defensive replacement for McClouth while he's on the DL. When he comes back they could platoon him with Rios.

Next year, their outfield could be pretty good with Heyward, Rios and Quentin.

With the offensive production from the corners, they could get buy with Rios is CF.

Hey, if they want Quentin, make them pay. Take Rios' contract and give us one really good pitching prospect. Otherwise, go ahead and pursue Coco Crisp. I don't see how that would make the Braves competitive in the N. L East, do you? Quentin is an impact bat, and that is what they need.

I respectfully disagree with the comparisons to Hunter Pence in this thread. Hunter Pence is no Carlos Quentin. When TCQ is healthy, he is a 40 HR hitter and a big run producer.

Edited by Lillian

QUOTE (Lillian @ Jul 30, 2011 -> 07:53 AM)
Well, maybe it's more feasible than would appear at first glance. Remember, McLouth will be a free agent at the end of the season, and the Braves would likely have to spend as much to resign him as pay Rios. In the meantime, the Braves would have their defensive replacement for McClouth while he's on the DL. When he comes back they could platoon him with Rios.

If Nate McLouth's agent can get him a contract like Rios', I need to bring him with me to next review.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Jul 30, 2011 -> 08:25 AM)
If Nate McLouth's agent can get him a contract like Rios', I need to bring him with me to next review.

The Braves have a club option at $10.65 Million for next year. If they want to keep him, that is indeed what it will cost.

After that, who knows? Of course, the Braves can tell Pence and his agent that they don't want to exercise the option, and would prefer to buy him out for $1.25 million.

Edited by Lillian

Well, maybe it's more feasible than would appear at first glance. Remember, McLouth will be a free agent at the end of the season, and the Braves would have to spend almost as much in exercising the 2012 option for $10.65 Million, as the $12 million owed Rios next year.

In the meantime, the Braves would have their defensive replacement for McClouth while he's on the DL. When he comes back they could platoon him with Rios.

With the offensive production from the corners, they could get buy with Rios is CF.

Hey, if they want Quentin, make them pay. Take Rios' contract and give us one really good pitching prospect. Otherwise, go ahead and pursue Coco Crisp. I don't see how that would make the Braves competitive in the N. L East, do you? Quentin is an impact bat, and that is what they need.

I respectfully disagree with the comparisons to Hunter Pence in this thread. Hunter Pence is no Carlos Quentin. When TCQ is healthy, he is a 40 HR hitter and a big run producer.

And Hunter Pence plays good D, better OBP, better average, and is good for around 25 HR and 80 RBI.

The big problem being Q's health. If he were consistently healthy, we'd get whatever we want for him.

QUOTE (Quinarvy @ Jul 30, 2011 -> 08:35 AM)
And Hunter Pence plays good D, better OBP, better average, and is good for around 25 HR and 80 RBI.

The big problem being Q's health. If he were consistently healthy, we'd get whatever we want for him.

Hunter Pence's career OBP is .339

Carlos Quentin career OBP is .348

QUOTE (Lillian @ Jul 30, 2011 -> 08:32 AM)
The Braves have a club option at $10.65 Million for next year. If they want to keep him, that is indeed what it will cost.

After that, who knows? Of course, the Braves can tell Pence and his agent that they don't want to exercise the option, and would prefer to buy him out for $1.25 million.

There is no way they will exercise that option. Alex Rios jaked his way out of Toronto, and is now jaking it in Chicago. I know some team out there probably thinks they could have the perfect situation for him, but they aren't going to take on his contract to find out. If the Sox want to rid themselves of Alex Rios, they are going to have to still pay him a lot of money.

I agree with you about Quentin and Pence. If I had my choice, I'd take Quentin myself. Way more potential at huge numbers.

Edited by Dick Allen

In his 1,633 AB with the Sox, Quentin has hit 103 homers.

That is one homer in every 15.85 at bats. Add in his RBI totals and I think most would concede that Carlos is a legitimate slugger. Pence is a consistent 25 HR per season hitter. He's not a slugger.

I will tell you right now, no team will want Carlos Quentin if they have to take Rios. That's just not happening, unless we eat 50% or more of his contract. Even then, we'd get no prospects back. So your idea is simply not logical.

At this point, we have to accept the fact that we're stuck with Rios for another year unless Jerry is willing to eat a lot of money. Maybe De Aza taking playing time from him the rest of the way will motivate him to get his s*** together next year. If Guillen leaves for Florida in the offseason, maybe a new manager lights a fire under his ass. Regardless, Rios still posesses the physical talent to be a quality CF. We just need to hope for a solid 2012 from him, so we can move him quickly while eating as little money as possible. The goal here is to get rid of this lazy coward in a way that minimizes the damage to the organization.

QUOTE (Quinarvy @ Jul 30, 2011 -> 08:35 AM)

And he's got one more year of team control than Carlos does. Current contract status is always key in cases like these.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Jul 30, 2011 -> 08:40 AM)
There is no way they will exercise that option. Alex Rios jaked his way out of Toronto, and is now jaking it in Chicago. I know some team out there probably thinks they could have the perfect situation for him, but they aren't going to take on his contract to find out. If the Sox want to rid themselves of Alex Rios, they are going to have to still pay him a lot of money.

I agree with you about Quentin and Pence. If I had my choice, I'd take Quentin myself. Way more potential at huge numbers.

You may be right about not being able to find any takers for Rios and his contract.

If you are, I can't see the sense in giving up another player and still paying Rios a significant portion of his contract, just to get him off the team. I'd rather they just didn't play him, than pay him to play for another team.

Could he be sent to the Minors?

QUOTE (Lillian @ Jul 30, 2011 -> 08:46 AM)

That is one homer in every 15.85 at bats. Add in his RBI totals and I think most would concede that Carlos is a legitimate slugger. Pence is a consistent 25 HR per season hitter. He's not a slugger.

RBI is a team dependent stat. The Astros have deployed some of the worst lineups in baseball for quite some time now. Carlos has a little more power. Not much more. And you're seriously underestimating the difference in their defensive abilities. You could legitimately argue that Pence is the best defensive RF in the game. And now that he's not stuck in the baseball abyss of suckage that is Houston, his skills will be more on display for everybody to see.

QUOTE (Jordan4life @ Jul 30, 2011 -> 07:52 AM)
RBI is a team dependent stat. The Astros have deployed some of the worst lineups in baseball for quite some time now. Carlos has a little more power. Not much more. And you're seriously underestimating the difference in their defensive abilities. You could legitimately argue that Pence is the best defensive RF in the game. And now that he's not stuck in the baseball abyss of suckage that is Houston, his skills will be more on display for everybody to see.

You make two very good points. I frankly, did not know that Pence is such an outstanding defensive Right Fielder.

In any case, Pence has been traded, and Quentin is now probably the best available impact bat outfielder available, if he is indeed being dangled out there.

Bottom line, they (the Braves) need a shortstop next year. They might need a third baseman or left fielder. They might know more about center field by seasons’s end, after more evaluation of Schafer, unless they’ve already made up their minds one way or another.

There has been a bidding war for Pence between at least a handful of teams including the Braves and rival Phillies.

If it was me making the call, I’d probably give up Minor or Delgado to get Quentin, just because he’s a serious slugger and is not going to make as much as Pence in 2011 (Quentin might get about $8 mill in arbitration, then be a free agent). He’s not much with the glove, not nearly as good as Pence, but for me he’s much more a game-changing presence in the lineup.)

Quentin has a .353 OBP, .510 slugging percentage, 20 homers and 62 RBIs in 400 plate appearances, while Pence has a .354 OBP, .467 slugging percentage, 11 homers and 62 RBIs in 394 plate appearances.

Since the White Sox play in what most consider a hitter-friendly ballpark, and the Astros play in what is definitely a major hitter-friendly ballpark, it’s useful to compare the road stats for both players.

I was surprised to see that Quentin actually has better numbers on the road than at home. He’s hit .289 with 14 HRs and 43 RBIs in 51 road games, with a .371 OBP and .588 slugging (.959). At home, he’s hit .275/.332/.419.

Pence has hit .286 with seven homers and 27 RBI in 47 road games, with a .323 OBP and .444 slugging percentage (.767 OPS). At home, he's hit .330/.384/.498.

And since the Braves began this pursuit in order to find a right-handed bat to boost an offense that’s been the league's worst against lefties, let's compare Quentin and Pence vs. lefties.

Quentin has hit .275 (22-for-80) with six homers, a .388 OPB and .525 slugging percentage against lefties. Pence has hit .281 (27-for-96) with two homers, .333 OBP and .448 slugging against lefties.

As for recent performance, for what it's worth: In Pence's past 21 games, he’s 19-for-76 (.250) with five extra-base hits (one homer), 5 RBIs and a .321 OBP and .355 slugging.

In Quentin’s past 45 games, he's hit hit .274 (45-for-164) with 10 doubles, eight homers, 30 RBIs and a .363 on-base percentage and .482 slugging.

In his past 11 games, Quentin is 15-for-44 (.341) with three homers and 11 RBIs.http://blogs.ajc.com/atlanta-braves-blog/2...nta_braves_blog

Edited by caulfield12

The Braves are more protective of their pitching prospects than I am a bottle of absolute vodka. They could've had Pence if they wanted. They could have CQ if they want. But with Lowe/Hudson both FAs at the end of next year, they're extremely hesitant to deal any of these guys. I can see why they don't want to deal Teheran, though.

Edited by Jordan4life

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Jul 30, 2011 -> 09:12 AM)
One thing we don't know is if Beachy + was actually offered for Pence.

That would be interesting to ascertain.

We may never know, the Nieman/Howell offer TB supposedly gave to STL for Rasmus was determined to be BS. On another note, Rasmus started out 0-8 with 5 strikeouts. Could you imagine what would have been said if the Sox got him and he started out like that? There would have been one person blamed.

QUOTE (Lillian @ Jul 30, 2011 -> 08:46 AM)

Pence is a better overall player than Quentin because he plays better defense and stays healthy. No matter how well Q performs, he still has that injury label. I think both players are relatively close in overall value, but I would take Pence. And Pence is under control for one more year than Quentin, which is huge.

QUOTE (Jordan4life @ Jul 30, 2011 -> 09:10 AM)
The Braves are more protective of their pitching prospects than I am a bottle of absolute vodka. They could've had Pence if they wanted. They could have CQ if they want. But with Lowe/Hudson both FAs at the end of next year, they're extremely hesitant to deal any of these guys. I can see why they don't want to deal Teheran, though.

Who is to argue though, ya know? You are definitely right, but this is probably why they are the best run organization in baseball over the past 20 years. Meanwhile, we can't wait to trade any prospect.

QUOTE (maggsmaggs @ Jul 30, 2011 -> 09:18 AM)
Who is to argue though, ya know? You are definitely right, but this is probably why they are the best run organization in baseball over the past 20 years. Meanwhile, we can't wait to trade any prospect.

I would normally be in total agreement with them wanting to hold on to their prospects. But come October, when it's time to potentially face Halladay, Lee, Hamels, Oswalt, Lincecum, Cain, Sanchez, you better have your clips full. That offense is not good enough as constructed. They need another bat. They've already got Hanson, Jurrjens and Beachy as long-term mainstays. They could more than afford to deal one non-Teheran prospect. I don't want Minor, though. For me, one of Delgado/Vizcaino would be required.

QUOTE (Jordan4life @ Jul 30, 2011 -> 10:40 AM)
I would normally be in total agreement with them wanting to hold on to their prospects. But come October, when it's time to potentially face Halladay, Lee, Hamels, Oswalt, Lincecum, Cain, Sanchez, you better have your clips full. That offense is not good enough as constructed. They need another bat. They've already got Hanson, Jurrjens and Beachy as long-term mainstays. They could more than afford to deal one non-Teheran prospect. I don't want Minor, though. For me, one of Delgado/Vizcaino would be required.

Also it's worth thinking...every single potential competitor for the Braves has made a move to try to solve their biggest need. St. Louis grabbed some starting pitching depth and bullpen depth, Brewers grabbed bullpen help, Giants and Philles grabbed big bats.

Standing pat for the Braves is basically throwing in the towel. They lost McClouth to the DL yesterday, so that's another spot filled by a random warm body from AAA.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Jul 30, 2011 -> 10:06 AM)
Also it's worth thinking...every single potential competitor for the Braves has made a move to try to solve their biggest need. St. Louis grabbed some starting pitching depth and bullpen depth, Brewers grabbed bullpen help, Giants and Philles grabbed big bats.

Standing pat for the Braves is basically throwing in the towel. They lost McClouth to the DL yesterday, so that's another spot filled by a random warm body from AAA.

This just in: J4L and Balta agree on something.