Tigers Looking for SP

hi8is

Ken_Rosenthal Ken Rosenthal

#Tigers on #Rockies' Jimenez, discussing #Nationals' Marquis.

The Tigers are discussing a trade for Jason Marquis, according to Ken Rosenthal and Jon Paul Morosi of FOX Sports. Detroit GM Dave Dombrowski has been looking for starting pitching this month and has had interest in Marquis.

Though the Tigers have pursued others, including Hiroki Kuroda and Jeremy Guthrie, they're not sure that Kuroda would accept a deal to Detroit and appear to have struggled to reach a deal with the Orioles for Guthrie. Tigers checked in on Doug Fister, but they were turned off by the Mariners' asking price. They contacted the Rockies about Ubaldo Jimenez as well.

The Tigers recently bumped Phil Coke from a rotation that includes Justin Verlander, Max Scherzer, Rick Porcello and Brad Penny.

Edited by hi8is

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

ROFL @ Jason Marquis.

Do the Tigers even have the prospects in their system to get Ubaldo? I mean, literally, if Dombrowski said "Take whatever and however much you want that isn't on the major league roster," could the Rockies scrape together enough?

QUOTE (Eminor3rd @ Jul 29, 2011 -> 01:47 AM)
ROFL @ Jason Marquis.

Do the Tigers even have the prospects in their system to get Ubaldo? I mean, literally, if Dombrowski said "Take whatever and however much you want that isn't on the major league roster," could the Rockies scrape together enough?

No. Their farm is almost as bad as ours.

Yeah, that's like reading that the white sox are after Jiminez. We might be able to do it with Viciedo, Sale, Beckham, and Santos.

The Tigers could probably get him by dealing Cabrera. I'm sure the Rockies would even send Todd Helton back to fill the Tigers 1b hole.

QUOTE (Eminor3rd @ Jul 29, 2011 -> 12:47 AM)
ROFL @ Jason Marquis.

That was my first thought. Who do they have left?

I wonder if Kenny would get involved in something like this. He loves making big splashes and if he thought Danks was a goner, he could swing Danks for prospects and than potentially turn around and add a cost controlled front of the rotation pitcher like Jimenez to the team.

Clearly the price would be astronomical, but sometimes Kenny does crazy things and rolls the dice.

I still think there is absolutely no way that Jimenez is moved though.

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Jul 29, 2011 -> 02:00 PM)
I wonder if Kenny would get involved in something like this. He loves making big splashes and if he thought Danks was a goner, he could swing Danks for prospects and than potentially turn around and add a cost controlled front of the rotation pitcher like Jimenez to the team.

Clearly the price would be astronomical, but sometimes Kenny does crazy things and rolls the dice.

I still think there is absolutely no way that Jimenez is moved though.

White Sox/Rockies trade? Wow. That would be between arguably the two worst GM's in baseball. That said, I think Danny O'Dowd is serious about trading Jiminez, but his job would be on the line. Media in Denver is lined up to crucify him, IMO. Jiminez pitches Sat vs Pads. Yanks and BoSox have a lot more to offer.

QUOTE (oldsox @ Jul 29, 2011 -> 04:22 PM)
White Sox/Rockies trade? Wow. That would be between arguably the two worst GM's in baseball. That said, I think Danny O'Dowd is serious about trading Jiminez, but his job would be on the line. Media in Denver is lined up to crucify him, IMO. Jiminez pitches Sat vs Pads. Yanks and BoSox have a lot more to offer.

Um, no.

QUOTE (oldsox @ Jul 29, 2011 -> 03:22 PM)

Ed Wade

QUOTE (Real @ Jul 30, 2011 -> 01:18 AM)
be hilarious if KW swept in and traded Sale and whatever else for Jiminez

I don't think we could put together an acceptable offer even if we wanted to. They're saying the Rox want Montero, Betances, Banuelos, AND Nova from the Yanks

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Jul 30, 2011 -> 08:49 AM)
Hopefully this happens for no other reason than the jokes.

jcrasnick Jerry Crasnick

#Tigers making progress on a deal for #Mariners pitcher Doug Fister, says a source. #trades

"The Rays were stymied by a Furbush/Fister combo"

Edited by BigSqwert

QUOTE (Real @ Jul 30, 2011 -> 01:18 AM)
be hilarious if KW swept in and traded Sale and whatever else for Jiminez

According to reports, the Rockies want four major league or near major league ready players for Ubaldo. That is most definitely not us. I wouldn't be shocked if the Rangers made a play. They're the only team with the system and the need for a clear-cut #1 starter.