All Things Rick Hahn

harfman77

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Aug 18, 2011 -> 08:04 AM)
Plus it isn't even like the Sox were the only ones after Dunn. Washington was trying to get him back on a similar salary, but for a three year deal. Detroit really wanted him, but he wasn't interested. Knowing the Tigers they would have spend at least what we did too.

They probably would've thrown in some option years that paid a lot and were easy to get to (unless injured throughout the whole contract).

• Replies 190
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Aug 18, 2011 -> 07:55 AM)
He takes his marching order from Kenny Williams, you know, his boss? If your boss tells you to negotiate a deal, that's what you do.

I'm not sure what Ozzie has to do with this.

Hollywood is Kenny Williams.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Aug 18, 2011 -> 10:18 AM)
That nickname is terrible. Guillen is the one with a twitter feed, two websites, and a facebook page. Williams wants nothing to do with the media.

I am taking the nickname back.

He might be talking about KW's typical party nights and womanizing... :ph34r:

QUOTE (Quinarvy @ Aug 18, 2011 -> 10:36 AM)
...which is the exact opposite of "Hollywood".

Try "The Spy" or "The Ninja".

"Hollywood" fits our manager and his attention whore kids way too well to be used to describe Kenny Williams. It is stupid, and I have no idea what it has to do with this "Chicago Tough" thing you keep repeating like it makes sense.

I will start this post by pointing out I think Kenny Williams needs to go, and I find Rick Hahn an easy to like and smart baseball man who COULD have a bright future ahead of him as a GM. But, I think the love Rick Hahn gets and the love Rick Hahn deserves are not even close to being equal, and we should not rush into hiring him just because some people are afraid the Cubs might.

QUOTE (whitesoxfan101 @ Aug 19, 2011 -> 12:37 PM)
I will start this post by pointing out I think Kenny Williams needs to go, and I find Rick Hahn an easy to like and smart baseball man who COULD have a bright future ahead of him as a GM. But, I think the love Rick Hahn gets and the love Rick Hahn deserves are not even close to being equal, and we should not rush into hiring him just because some people are afraid the Cubs might.

That's fair, but for fans like us, you can only go by what people in the industry say about him---which is he's ready.

All I know is Kenny has to go, and there's a respected assistant GM right under him that wants the job.

QUOTE (flavum @ Aug 19, 2011 -> 12:46 PM)
That's fair, but for fans like us, you can only go by what people in the industry say about him---which is he's ready.

All I know is Kenny has to go, and there's a respected assistant GM right under him that wants the job.

I think my biggest issue is I kind of have a yearning to see the Sox go outside the organization for their next GM and manager. It doesn't feel like the way our organization operates is working, and Hahn has been here for a long time.

Edited by whitesoxfan101

QUOTE (Quinarvy @ Aug 19, 2011 -> 01:37 PM)
I really want to see Reinsdorf do what he did with the Bulls, when he moved Pax up and Forman became GM. Especially since Pax and Kenny are so similar, as are Hahn and Forman.

How so? Forman has a scouting background with college coaching experience. Sounds nothing like Hahn to me.

Calm? Hahn? Really?

You're sure about that?

There's better reasons for the Cubs to hire him than for the White Sox.

The Cubs have always been his favorite team.

We need someone who knows how to work creatively within a lowered budget (we're not going to see anything north of $105 million for a long time) and whose strength is scouting/talent identification and development.

These are all weak points for Hahn.

If we want to break away from this "organizational miasma" of the last 3-5 years, then why would Hahn be a better choice than KW?

Because he went to Harvard Law or Northwestern, that somehow makes him more qualified for identifying better scouts or a minor league director?

Whether all he's done is "follow Kenny's marching orders" or he's actually shown some independent judgement over the last 3 seasons or so, how is he given a free pass whereas KW has been hammered (and rightfully so) for the majority of his moves the past 3 years?

I'd just like KW or Ozzie or anyone to point or out list 5 SPECIFIC baseball-related reasons he would be a good GM for the White Sox. He's already starting out at a disadvantage....when you're heart's in another place (Wrigley), you'll never quite put the same amount of time and effort into the job as KW and Ozzie did when they first came on board.

We need a "hungry" GM. Hahn will never be that. It's not who he is. He might be "competent," but he will certainly never be a visionary. Hiring Hahn would more closely resemble the Cubs promoting Crane Kenney to GM than the White Sox hiring another KW from outside the organization, someone with a new and fresh perspective.

Him taking the Cubs' job might be the greatest thing to happen to the White Sox out of the entire 2011 season (off-the-field).

With that being said, KW and Ozzie and the whole coaching staff needs to go, no matter what happens with Hahn.

Edited by caulfield12

Unless you know the guy, I think it's wrong to question his hunger and heart. Hahn is a guy who spent 10 years trying to get into a baseball front office. With his credentials, I'm sure he passed up on a lot of money to do so. I would never doubt his hunger...the guy definitely wants to a GM and has worked his ass off to be in a position to become one.

As for his heart, who really knows. I'm sure he's somewhat excited about the Cubs opening, but at the same time Reinsdorf is the man that first gave him a chance and by all accounts is one of the best owners to work for in sports. He'd probably have better job security working for Reinsdorf than he would for Ricketts. And I'm sure Hahn has some loyalty for Reinsdorf despite growing up a Cubs fan. That's not to say that the Cubs position isn't his dream job, none of us really know, but I honestly he'd feel somewhat guilty going to his current team's market rival.

If you want to question his lack of scouting experience that's more than fair, but by all accounts Hahn is a smart, driven, loyal, and good-hearted person. His character is definitely not an issue.

It is very rare to get a FA and not be the highest bidder.

1. If the player produces better than projected, the team wins.
  2. If he plays to projection, the team over paid because they were the high bidder.
  3. If he performs lower than expected, the team loses and they seriously over paid.

Two out of three the team is the loser.

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Aug 20, 2011 -> 04:04 AM)
Calm? Hahn? Really?

You're sure about that?

There's better reasons for the Cubs to hire him than for the White Sox.

The Cubs have always been his favorite team.

We need someone who knows how to work creatively within a lowered budget (we're not going to see anything north of $105 million for a long time) and whose strength is scouting/talent identification and development.

These are all weak points for Hahn.

If we want to break away from this "organizational miasma" of the last 3-5 years, then why would Hahn be a better choice than KW?

Because he went to Harvard Law or Northwestern, that somehow makes him more qualified for identifying better scouts or a minor league director?

Whether all he's done is "follow Kenny's marching orders" or he's actually shown some independent judgement over the last 3 seasons or so, how is he given a free pass whereas KW has been hammered (and rightfully so) for the majority of his moves the past 3 years?

I'd just like KW or Ozzie or anyone to point or out list 5 SPECIFIC baseball-related reasons he would be a good GM for the White Sox. He's already starting out at a disadvantage....when you're heart's in another place (Wrigley), you'll never quite put the same amount of time and effort into the job as KW and Ozzie did when they first came on board.

We need a "hungry" GM. Hahn will never be that. It's not who he is. He might be "competent," but he will certainly never be a visionary. Hiring Hahn would more closely resemble the Cubs promoting Crane Kenney to GM than the White Sox hiring another KW from outside the organization, someone with a new and fresh perspective.

Him taking the Cubs' job might be the greatest thing to happen to the White Sox out of the entire 2011 season (off-the-field).

With that being said, KW and Ozzie and the whole coaching staff needs to go, no matter what happens with Hahn.

honestly Caulfield, why would they do that for anyone but the team he is interviewing for? We would never see a list like that, thats a ridiculous thing to ask for.