White Sox Manager Search Thread

HuskyCaucasian

• Replies 566
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (WCSox @ Sep 30, 2011 -> 03:49 PM)
If I'm Francona or LaRussa and the Sox are my only option, I'd probably sit out a year and wait for something better to come along. It's not like either will struggle to pay the bills in the meantime.

I haven't talked to him, but I doubt LaRussa manages any team other than STL or SOX.

QUOTE (Thad Bosley @ Sep 30, 2011 -> 02:07 PM)
At LaRussa's age, he's not sitting out a year.

He couldn't be a TV analyst for FOX or TBS for a season?

Not to mention, but he probably has only three destinations left: remaining w/St. Louis, coming to the Sox, or retiring. Do you hear his name mentioned in connection with any other non-Cardinals manager-related job besides the vacancy at 35th and Shields?

So, because the media is only speculating about those three options, those are the only three options available to him?

And this with a guy whose running on one-year contracts these days! Meanwhile, there are tweets galore out there as we speak at least talking about the Sox' supposed interest in LaRussa, so it's certainly not too far-fetched to suggest it's in the realm of possibility. Probability, perhaps not. Possibility? Yes.

Why would LaRussa even want to leave St. Louis for the Sox? How would managing a team that's heading into rebuilding mode (or at least a serious retooling mode) help bolster LaRussa's legacy? If he's that close to retirement, why would he want to manage a team that probably isn't going to be a contender for the next couple of years? And given that the Sox just gave Coop a new deal recently, LaRussa would have to dump Dave Duncan (or the Sox would have to let Coop go). I don't see either of those scenarios playing out.

I'm not saying that it's impossible, but I just don't see how coming back to the South Side would benefit LaRussa. Despite all of the media and Twitter speculation, it just don't seem like a logical fit to me.

The one point that I haven't seen anybody make is that the exact course that the team takes for next year and beyond is going to depend on what manager is chosen- especially if KW was being truthful that this will be a "quick" process. If the team decides that Tito or LaRussa is a better organizational/philosiphical fit, they will likely build the team differently than if Alomar or Martinez are chosen.

I still keep seeing multiple places saying that LaRussa doesn't want to manage under KW

Edited by toasty

QUOTE (Baines3 @ Sep 30, 2011 -> 07:25 PM)
I wonder if KW will promote from within the current coaching staff for the new manager.

Sure seems like there's only 4 total options: Alomar Jr., Martinez, Francona, LaRussa. That's it.

More from Knobler:

http://danny-knobler.blogs.cbssports.com/m...590096/32396533

Francona Could End Up With White Sox

Now that Terry Francona is gone from the Red Sox, will he end up as Ozzie Guillen's successor with the White Sox?

There are plenty of good reasons to believe he could, along with one or two reasons to believe that it won't happen.

Reason No. 1: Francona once worked for the White Sox, and has remained a favorite with White Sox owner Jerry Reinsdorf. Maybe not as big a favorite as Tony La Russa, but a favorite, all the same.

Reason No. 2: Francona is close with Don Cooper, the pitching coach who just got an extension in Chicago. According to sources, Cooper is pushing for Francona to be the next manager.

Reason No. 3: Francona remains close with Buddy Bell, who has increasing power in the White Sox organization. Francona worked on Bell's coaching staff years ago with the Tigers. There were early suggestions that Bell could succeed Guillen, but according to sources Bell isn't interested in returning to the dugout at this time.

So why wouldn't it happen?

Well, the White Sox have been sending out signals that they are more likely to go for a younger manager. Also, some White Sox people believe that Reinsdorf doesn't want to spend big on a manager, unless it's La Russa (and maybe not even then). The contract options that the Red Sox turned down Friday were worth $4.5 million each.

Francona isn't likely to come cheap, and he could well have other options. Maybe the Cubs, maybe even the Nationals (although Davey Johnson is expected back there).

But don't be surprised if he ends up with the White Sox.

QUOTE (Marty34 @ Sep 30, 2011 -> 08:45 PM)
The more power Buddy Bell gets in this organization the longer it will be before they can dig out. Buddy Bell. Goodness there maybe less hope than I thought.

Really, can you give examples of things he has done wrong? Because it seemed like most everyone who came up through our minors this year has had success.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Sep 30, 2011 -> 07:53 PM)
Really, can you give examples of things he has done wrong? Because it seemed like most everyone who came up through our minors this year has had success.

Input was crucial in trading for Teahen, vouched for his defensive ability at third base. A member of the organization told me he's a wonderful guy, but lacking in talent evaluation skills.

A lot of people say they don't know much about Dave Martinez, and his actual role as bench coach under Joe Maddon.. I'm one of those people.. But I did find this good article written in May of 2010 that gives a lot more insight into his role on the Rays.. http://www.foxsportsflorida.com/pages/landing?blockID=227299

Personally, I think this is the guy I want to manage the Sox.. He was a good player here for years, and a guy that maximized his talent and relied on his smarts when he played.. Love the Rays makeup; he's a part of it, and has been for a while.. I'd like to see us bring in the fresh guy who's had success ala Tom Thibodeau..

QUOTE (Real @ Sep 30, 2011 -> 09:58 PM)
why spend big dollars on a manager when your plans for the team going forward do not include the phrases 'all in' or 'going for it'

Martinez will get paid by Boston and we'll end up with Alomar Jr

Let's be clear here...there is no 100% obvious reason why Alomar must be a worse choice. The guy in Tampa has a couple more years experience, that's the difference right now, and that only means so much.

QUOTE (Wanne @ Sep 30, 2011 -> 10:26 PM)
If Kenny's serious about Alomar like people have said...I wish he'd just hire him then and get it over with...unless he enjoys the drama.

No. Interview all 4. It will take a month if the rays go far but what do we need a manager for in October? If either guy blows the interview that would be a bad thing. If you interview them both and Alomar has the clearest plan for this team and so on...that's fine, but listen to what the others have to say first.

Yeah, I'm not 100% sure how I feel about LaRussa, but these guys would probably be the four guys I'd want to interview if I was KW. Two experienced, expensive guys with great track records and two of the more promising managing prospects in the game. No matter what direction we end up going, I'm confident one of these guys would be the right man for the job.

QUOTE (Marty34 @ Sep 30, 2011 -> 08:08 PM)
Input was crucial in trading for Teahen, vouched for his defensive ability at third base. A member of the organization told me he's a wonderful guy, but lacking in talent evaluation skills.

So you are going to ignore all that the rookies have come up and done this year, for a guy who wasn't in the minors with Bell. Makes perfect sense to me...

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Sep 30, 2011 -> 10:59 PM)
So you are going to ignore all that the rookies have come up and done this year, for a guy who wasn't in the minors with Bell. Makes perfect sense to me...

You talk as if this is a stellar crop of rookies. It isn't.

I tend to put more weight on an opinion of someone within the organization. The body of Bell's work is not impressive.