2011-12 White Sox off season catch all thread

southsider2k5

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ Nov 11, 2011 -> 03:09 PM)
He is also due big arbitration raises in those two years under team control, so it's not like he will be super cheap. And how is Sale's upside only as a middle reliever??

My point is that at this point he is a middle reliever and with young pichers it's always a gamble.

• Replies 1.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (sox win @ Nov 11, 2011 -> 03:46 PM)
My point is that at this point he is a middle reliever and with young pichers it's always a gamble.

Which is why we are proposed to get back a minor league pitcher AND a minor league OF in this deal? Again, no thanks. Ellsbury screams career year last year. And I am not giving up a cost controled starting pitcher to get him.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Nov 11, 2011 -> 03:49 PM)
But the Sox would also be getting back young players who are similarly risky right?

I don't know much about the kid Ranuado and his health, but your right he is a young picher. In reference to Reddick and Ellsbury, neither one could be as fragile as Quentin.

QUOTE (sox win @ Nov 11, 2011 -> 03:54 PM)
I don't know much about the kid Ranuado and his health, but your right he is a young picher. In reference to Reddick and Ellsbury, neither one could be as fragile as Quentin.

Quentin has played more games over the last four years than Ellsbury, 478-474.

QUOTE (sox win @ Nov 11, 2011 -> 05:00 PM)
If I remember correctly, 2010 Ellsbury collided with Beltre and broke some ribs, which cost him the entire year.

And Quentin's 2008 injury was caused by punching a bat, and Quentin's 2011 injury was caused by a freaky landing with the ground.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Nov 11, 2011 -> 03:13 PM)
Of course, doing that would leave us with either 6 starters or with Sale in the bullpen, again.

They could move both Floyd/Danks, and try to bring back 3 or 4 B (or better) prospects, with maybe 1 or 2 who could be in the majors next season, still re-sign Buerhle and move Sale to the rotation.

Of course, I don't think resigning Buerhle makes much sense if you're going to trade for younger players. If it's down to 1 guy getting a long-term deal, it's Danks over Buerhle.

If they do resign Buerhle and keep Floyd (but not Danks since they may make the argument that Sale would replace Danks as a lefty in the rotation), then it's, in no order.....Buerhle, Floyd, Sale, Peavy and Humber as the likely starting rotation with Stewart/Axelrod and perhaps a pitcher from another organization being in the mix.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Nov 11, 2011 -> 04:03 PM)
And Quentin's 2008 injury was caused by punching a bat, and Quentin's 2011 injury was caused by a freaky landing with the ground.

obviously you'll aren't fans of ellsbury, but there is no other player in the league that can do what he can do(gold glove, 321 avg 32 hr 39 sb) The Red Sox made a mistake of signing Crawford and it's going to cost them Ellsbury, if he came to Chicage he would be the face of the franchise and someone to build around.

QUOTE (sox win @ Nov 11, 2011 -> 05:14 PM)
obviously you'll aren't fans of ellsbury, but there is no other player in the league that can do what he can do(gold glove, 321 avg 32 hr 39 sb) The Red Sox made a mistake of signing Crawford and it's going to cost them Ellsbury, if he came to Chicage he would be the face of the franchise and someone to build around.

But as you noted, he's 2 years away from FA, right? If he hits like this MVP candidate for another 2 seasons, then yes, that'd be great, but then he'd get a 7/$175 contract from someone. That wouldn't be "Building around" him, that'd be "trying to make an all-in run this year" again.

It's not that I'm not a fan of his abilities when healthy and motivated, it's that I don't think he's a good match for this club.

QUOTE (sox win @ Nov 11, 2011 -> 04:14 PM)

There's a gentleman who goes by the name of Matt Kemp that can do what Ellsbury can. I think most would agree Ellsbury is really good. But that trade proposal is beyond illogical.

Edited by Jordan4life

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Nov 11, 2011 -> 04:22 PM)
But as you noted, he's 2 years away from FA, right? If he hits like this MVP candidate for another 2 seasons, then yes, that'd be great, but then he'd get a 7/$175 contract from someone. That wouldn't be "Building around" him, that'd be "trying to make an all-in run this year" again.

It's not that I'm not a fan of his abilities when healthy and motivated, it's that I don't think he's a good match for this club.

Understandable, I think I was blinded by the bling.

QUOTE (sox win @ Nov 11, 2011 -> 04:14 PM)

It has nothing to do with being fans on of the guy or not, and everything to do with how the deal would impact Chicago. It wouldn't help the team.

QUOTE (sox win @ Nov 11, 2011 -> 03:54 PM)

You could have Randuado for nothing... He's a free agent he just goes under the name Andrew Brackman. Anthony throws 96 mph but it's straight and his secondary pitches are less than good. He's a 22 year old college pitcher who wasn't impressive in high A ball.

QUOTE (sox win @ Nov 11, 2011 -> 02:37 PM)
Just caught the last minutes of sox talk in Boston, But they brought up an interesting trade:

Danks, Sale and Quentin for

Ellsbury, Reddick and Ranaudo(currently in the minor's with supposedly huge upside).

I have mixed feelings about this trade proposal, but the thought of having Ellsbury is tantalizing.

Well, f***, I don't suppose anyone as actually looked at the problems in this trade.

First, the White Sox HAVE outfielders. They may not be good outfielders, but they have outfielders. If we are still including Quentin, then they have two big upside bats, one expensive contract with high upside, one talented outfielder, and one jack of all trades outfielder. That's 5 MLB outfielders right there.

Jacoby Ellsbury, him, yeah, I get it, he's good. He's not going to be 9.4 WAR good every year, but he's a legitimate 3-5 WAR player, every single year, given health. That's why it's a given here and not on the field.

Josh Reddick is an outfielder. Why?

Ranaudo was a college pitcher who struggled in his final season in college and did not do well in High-A this year, which is a level he should atleast succeed at, considering all of his factors. I won't rule him out, but, simply, no, no value at this point.

In the meantime, the Sox give up their biggest trade chip, their second biggest trade chip, and arguably the most valuable player in the entire organization right now.

Um, no

You say "Ellsbury, Reddick, Ranaudo for Rios, Danks, Quentin, and Sale," and then we can talk. Until then, that is worse than any of the other hypothetical trades posted on here, which is exactly what it was. If Williams authorized that trade, then he would be canned immediately.

Edited by witesoxfan

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Nov 12, 2011 -> 09:50 AM)
Well, f***, I don't suppose anyone as actually looked at the problems in this trade.

First, the White Sox HAVE outfielders. They may not be good outfielders, but they have outfielders. If we are still including Quentin, then they have two big upside bats, one expensive contract with high upside, one talented outfielder, and one jack of all trades outfielder. That's 5 MLB outfielders right there.

Jacoby Ellsbury, him, yeah, I get it, he's good. He's not going to be 9.4 WAR good every year, but he's a legitimate 3-5 WAR player, every single year, given health. That's why it's a given here and not on the field.

Ranaudo was a college pitcher who struggled in his final season in college and did not do well in High-A this year, which is a level he should atleast succeed at, considering all of his factors. I won't rule him out, but, simply, no, no value at this point.

In the meantime, the Sox give up their biggest trade chip, their second biggest trade chip, and arguably the most valuable player in the entire organization right now.

Um, no

You say "Ellsbury, Reddick, Ranaudo for Rios, Danks, Quentin, and Sale," and then we can talk. Until then, that is worse than any of the other hypothetical trades posted on here, which is exactly what it was. If Williams authorized that trade, then he would be canned immediately.

Unless Theo were still the GM of Boston. In which case, KW would be hired to be on the staff of the Cubs next season.

Edited by Milkman delivers

Um, no

You are in rage mode today.

Um, no

Angry Wite is funny.

Grudgingly positive Rios article #1, written.

General manager Ken Williams has been hard-pressed to project his 2012 Chicago White Sox roster because of subpar performances from several players.

One of those players is center fielder Alex Rios, who batted .227, including a .213 mark in the first half.

Paul Kinzer, the agent for Rios, hopes that Rios' .307 batting average in September can serve as a building block for 2012.

"I think he thinks he can build on that and take it in," Kinzer said Monday at the general managers' meetings.

Kinzer said he spent five days with Rios last week in Puerto Rico.

"He's trying to turn the page and (get) a fresh start," Kinzer said. "He takes it pretty hard. He doesn’t show a lot on the field. He was more emotional in Toronto. But all these guys, no matter if you’re on a multi-year deal or not, you take pride and he was very frustrated this year."

Rios, 30, has $38 million and three years left on a contract he originally signed with Toronto.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Nov 15, 2011 -> 10:35 AM)
MDGonzales Mark Gonzales

Agent Paul Kinzer said CWS still interested in re-signing hard-throwing Australian Shane Lindsay, who has interest from 10 other clubs.

Matching agent names between that tweet and article above, noted.