Robin Ventura Named White Sox Manager

Steve9347

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (elrockinMT @ Oct 6, 2011 -> 05:07 PM)
I asked for carlton Fisk and anyone who joined me was closer in reality than any of you other jokers - er I mean Soxtalk posters. It's the organizational thing. I look forward to success in 2012.

KW said one of the requirements was that the manager get along with everyone not no one. Fisk would never be in consideration for manager.

Milkman,

Honestly I dont know. I dont keep a running tally of who did what in their previous coaching careers. Dave Martinez, Sandy Alomar and Robin Ventura, never managed a MLB team. If you want to say that being a bench coach, 3b coach, whatever is equivalent experience to managing, that is your call.

All I know is that (imo) Ventura is going to be a revelation compared to Ozzie. And win lose or draw, its going to be the players, not the manager who ultimately decide the success of a team. This is not the NBA/NFL where a Head Coach can significantly change the dynamic of a team.

I completely agree with this article:

http://sports.yahoo.com/mlb/blog/big_leagu...maining-content

Where this decision deserves scorn is that Tampa Bay bench coach Dave Martinez was thought to be the frontrunner for the job. It would have been a natural fit as the ex-Sock had been learning under Joe Maddon, knows plenty about winning without a lot of resources and, perhaps most importantly for Reinsdorf, would come on the cheap.

The Pale Hose are instead going with a choice that all but indicates they think they have no shot of winning in the near future. That may actually be true given the team's age and perhaps White Sox brass wanted the anti-Ozzie after eight years of dealing with all the extra baggage that Guillen brought to the table. But if this had been their plan all along, why hadn't Ventura been managing in the team's minor league system prior to this?

Simple explanation: Reinsdorf, the man who allowed Jerry Krause to tell Michael Jordan that "organizations win championships," doesn't want to be told how to do anything. It will also likely save him quite a bit of dough as he continues to pay for Adam Dunn, Jake Peavy and Alex Rios. As for Williams, he'll finally get the spotlight that Guillen hogged for so long. There will be no doubt who's running the show next season.

But as our own Jeff Passan alluded, this is a Faustian gamble — as in Gerry — in every sense of the term. Fans aren't owed much, but a manager with a little experience leading men old enough to vote is one of them.

Its impossible to know what Martinez would have wanted as Im not sure the Sox even spoke with him.

And no one knows if Ventura was cheap or not, previously hes turned down all coaching offers, so youd have to imagine that they offered at least a decent salary to get him to change his mind.

God, neither Kenny and Robin sound confident at all right now. There's something more going on here... I just got that feeling. This can't be what either party wanted and it shows...