Robin Ventura Named White Sox Manager

Steve9347

QUOTE (Soxbadger @ Oct 6, 2011 -> 06:03 PM)
Why does everyone think Ventura is going to be a yes man?

To the best of my knowledge the guy has refused every coaching job hes been offered, wouldtn that suggest hed only take the job if he was allowed to do what he wants?

I don't like Bruce Levine, but he knows Robin a bit more than I do...and he said Robin is the farthest thing from a yes man that Kenny could have hired.

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Cali @ Oct 6, 2011 -> 05:00 PM)
This move smacks of "We know the team is gonna stink next year cause we're rebuilding, so here's an old player, please come out to the park, pretty please?"

What seems odd to me is that a lot of the people who see 2012 as a rebuilding type year are shedding the most tears over this move.

Kenny specifically said during the conference call that he wanted someone who would voice disagreements when they arose, and he said he felt Robin was that kind of person. There is a pretty wide gap between what constitutes a "yes man" and Ozzie.

I do however believe it is very important to have a manager who actually agrees with his superiors and is willing to do what he's told when the circumstances necessitate it. Ozzie became an insubordinate and that helped no one.

QUOTE (Rowand44 @ Oct 6, 2011 -> 04:12 PM)
Should probably give the guy a chance. I've been in just as much of an uproar as anyone at the direction of the organization but we literally know NOTHING about Robin as a manager. I'm very confused by the move but I'm not angry about it, Robin might just be a very bright manager, we have to wait and see.

Let him cut his teeth elsewhere...oh but if he did and turned out to be a good manager, Reinsdork wouldn't sign him because he'd be too expensive.

Does the Google CEO like baseball?

QUOTE (SouthSideTeacher @ Oct 6, 2011 -> 06:07 PM)
AGREED. Initially, I thought the hire was a decent move. After the first 2 minutes of Robin's portion of the call I thought "Oh... wait a sec...."

Because of a conference call??? Hilarious.

Robin is going to be a much better leader than many of you think.

QUOTE (Soxbadger @ Oct 6, 2011 -> 04:20 PM)
Well Robin as a player was the antithesis of Ozzie, so unless he drastically changes who he is, you have to expect he will coach the same way as he plays.

In fact, how do you know how Dave Martinez would coach, hes never managed before.

Of all sports, baseball is the one where the manager needs the least amount of experience. Its such a simple sport to manage.

I can't tell with most of clowns Reinsdorf has hired

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Oct 6, 2011 -> 06:10 PM)
Because of a conference call??? Hilarious.

Robin is going to be a much better leader than many of you think.

And you know this how?

The bottom line is that nobody knows if he'll be a good manager, including Ventura.

We have to give him the benefit of the doubt for now, but there's no argument that better candidates existed based on their experience.

So would the Sox need permission to speak to a special assignment scout? I assume so since he's likely under some sort of contract. Jim Riggleman was Jim Tracy's bench coach in 2003 and 2004 when Robin played for the Dodgers. He would be my guess.

QUOTE (Milkman delivers @ Oct 6, 2011 -> 04:26 PM)
Exactly. Why do they deserve the benefit of the doubt? They've made nothing but incorrect moves for years now, and we're supposed to just give them the benefit because they hired a guy with no experience whatsoever when there were about 5 guys with experience and/or credentials available?

No experienced manager was coming in here to deal with Kenny and already have most of his decisions made for him.

KW should just manage the damn himself and really save Reinsdorf some money.

QUOTE (Soxbadger @ Oct 6, 2011 -> 05:04 PM)
Steve,

Maybe its because some of the most famous baseball managers were "player managers."

I think its interesting (insert stupid) that people dont want to research the fact that there is almost 0 correlation between MLB managerial experience and success at the major league level.

I think its interesting (insert stupid) that people dont believe Robin can be a good manager just because he hasnt been a coach.

Whatever the facts, I really cant imagine anyone creating a good argument that MLB manager is harder than NBA/NFL. And thats the comparison.

I find it truly interesting that you continue to only reply to my posts questioning the move, yet ignore all the posts that say I hope he does well and I love the man.

QUOTE (Kenny Hates Prospects @ Oct 6, 2011 -> 09:39 PM)
Personality.

I think Coop has the knowledge to do it, but I don't think he'd be able to handle all the pressure from the media. He'd be a scapegoat here.

Ventura should do well. I'm liking this hire more and more as I think about it. Good job, Kenny. You've once again showed why you're in charge and Ozzie is not.

QUOTE (fathom @ Oct 6, 2011 -> 09:39 PM)
greg, I'm shocked you don't like this. You always say that fans came out to the Cell to see Ozzie since they loved him from his playing days. Well, I can all but guarantee Ventura was far more beloved during his White Sox playing days.

1.) Coop is a crab, but arguably Robin should be Coop's bench coach with the roles reversed.

Coop's demeanor with the media might be enough in 2011 to kill the move, however.

Though isn't Robin known as a painfully bad interview/communicator publicly?

2.) I don't mind it. I liked Ventura as a player a lot. My belief tho, is if Francona is available, wow, u gotta grab him first.

QUOTE (South Side Fireworks Man @ Oct 6, 2011 -> 05:31 PM)
He's not coming across too well. Seems like both he and Kenny are stressing that he's going to need a lot of support.

Not surprising, since he has no experience coaching (note - coaching, not managing) on any level.

QUOTE (flavum @ Oct 6, 2011 -> 06:12 PM)
And you know this how?

The bottom line is that nobody knows if he'll be a good manager, including Ventura.

We have to give him the benefit of the doubt for now, but there's no argument that better candidates existed based on their experience.

No, there is no argument at all, because none of the other candidates outside of Francona have any real leadership experience. A coach, who is simply a helper, isn't some seasoned leader any more than a respected player would be a leader in a clubhouse. None of these other candidates apart from Francona have led a coaching staff, dealt with the media on the regular basis, or have been in a position where you have to take pretty much full responsibility for the on-field performance of an entire 25-man roster. Most of these candidates, like Robin, have ZERO experience. Taking notes and pouring over stat sheets is nothing that can be passed off as managerial experience.

The Sox front office has known Robin for decades. He's been on their radar as a baseball coach/manager/exec since his playing days, and the Sox have invited him to Spring Trainings and into the broadcast booth as much as he would accept to keep him in the family. He's obviously someone they've envisioned in a pretty important spot for a while, and you really don't need to put that much effort into recruiting a "yes man" or an "organizational" guy or a "loyalty" guy when those guys are everywhere.

So would the Sox need permission to speak to a special assignment scout? I assume so since he's likely under some sort of contract. Jim Riggleman was Jim Tracy's bench coach in 2003 and 2004 when Robin played for the Dodgers. He would be my guess.

My guess our bench coach will be Tony Pena..