White Sox Bench Coach Search Thread

klaus kinski

• Replies 122
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If we promoted somebody from our minor league system to be hitting coach, do you think that Frank would be offered that open position in the minors? Would Frank even take that position or would he want to start as a hitting coach on the major league level right off the bat?

It is true that the best hitter might not be the best coach. But why not give it a chance if Frank is interested. This appointment would get the approval of the majority of White Sox fans.

I would just like to hear a conversation with Frank about his philosophies and how he would approach his job as a hitting instructor. Like many have said...a great hitter doesn't mean great hitting coach. But I would love to hear Frank's take on the subject. Personally I think the person who could really benefit from the Charlie Lau philosophy is Beckham...but that's just me. He does need an overhaul tho...

QUOTE (Chicago White Sox @ Oct 7, 2011 -> 10:03 AM)
My guess is Lamont will be the bench coach. I also think McEwing will get the 3rd base coach job and Manto will get the hitting coach job. I'd prefer Laker be the hitting coach, since he's familiar with the young guys, but the Tribune hinted more towards Manto. I wonder if he speaks Spanish, because we're going to need someone to help with the Cubans and other Latin players.

If I am not mistaken Lamont didn't actually endorse the Ventura hiring. Anyone for Albert Belle?

Edited by wallyburger

The Chicago White Sox received permission from Philadelphia to talk to Double-A Reading manager Mark Parent about their vacant bench coach position, a Phillies source confirmed Monday morning.

Parent, 50, managed Reading to a 74-68 record in 2011. He and new Sox manager Robin Ventura were represented by John Boggs during their playing days.

"That's the connection," the source said. "Mark will be good."

He gets a chance to be the bench coach because they had the same agent when they played! :whip

QUOTE (Soxfest @ Oct 10, 2011 -> 10:52 AM)
The Chicago White Sox received permission from Philadelphia to talk to Double-A Reading manager Mark Parent about their vacant bench coach position, a Phillies source confirmed Monday morning.

Parent, 50, managed Reading to a 74-68 record in 2011. He and new Sox manager Robin Ventura were represented by John Boggs during their playing days.

"That's the connection," the source said. "Mark will be good."

He gets a chance to be the bench coach because they had the same agent when they played! :whip

What a farce.

QUOTE (onedude @ Oct 10, 2011 -> 10:33 AM)
Mark Mcgwire is a hitting coach.....I think Frank could be one too if he wanted it.

I have found that the same people who want the Big Hurt to be the hitting coach hated Walt Hriniak and always wanted him fired when he was here. Thomas is a huge supporter of Hriniack stuff.

I'm not singling you out, I just find it to be the case usually. But hitting coaches don't matter... hell I think we'll see "FIRE [insert who they hire as hitting coach here]!!!" like 3 games into spring training.

Hitting coach looks like it's between Jeff Manto and Tim Laker from that same blog above.

Still to be decided is the hitting coach to replace Greg Walker. The source indicated the White Sox are still deciding between minor league hitting coordinator Jeff Manto and Triple-A Charlotte hitting coach Tim Laker, with Manto believed to be the lead candidate.

The hitting coach opening also likely will remain in-house with Manto or Laker. The two are said to both be valued members of the organization, with Manto taking the more cerebral approach to hitting, while Laker tends to incorporate an equal part mental and fundamental approach to his instruction.

http://espn.go.com/chicago/mlb/story/_/id/...white-sox-staff

Source: White Sox adding to staff

By Doug Padilla

ESPNChicago.com

Archive

CHICAGO -- The White Sox will name Mark Parent and Joe McEwing to the coaching staff of new manager Robin Ventura, a source indicated Monday.

Parent will be Ventura's bench coach and right-hand man, said the major league source with knowledge of the White Sox's thinking, while McEwing will be the third-base coach.

Still to be decided is the hitting coach to replace Greg Walker. The source indicated the White Sox are still deciding between minor league hitting coordinator Jeff Manto and Triple-A Charlotte hitting coach Tim Laker, with Manto believed to be the lead candidate.

Parent and Ventura never played with each other but their big-league careers overlapped. Parent's first season in the major leagues was in 1986 and he played 12 seasons with San Diego, Texas, Baltimore, the Cubs, Pittsburgh, Detroit and Philadelphia. Ventura's career began in 1989 and lasted 16 seasons.

The two reportedly used the same agent, John Boggs, when they were players.

Parent has been a manager in the Phillies organization for two seasons. He took Double-A Reading to the playoffs this past season and in 2010 he guided Single-A Lakewood to the South Atlantic League title.

The White Sox will stay in the organization in naming McEwing as the third-base coach to replace Jeff Cox. He has spent the last four seasons with the White Sox, managing Triple-A Charlotte this past season. Known as a people person, McEwing also can be stern when he needs to be while still maintaining the respect of those around him.

McEwing, though, is mostly known for his infectious energy which earned him the nickname "Super Joe." He played nine seasons in the major leagues, his last a short stint with the Houston Astros in 2006. He also played for the Cardinals, Mets and Royals.

The hitting coach opening also likely will remain in-house with Manto or Laker. The two are said to both be valued members of the organization, with Manto taking the more cerebral approach to hitting, while Laker tends to incorporate an equal part mental and fundamental approach to his instruction.

The new White Sox hitting coach will take over a group that largely disappointed in 2011. Adam Dunn and Alex Rios were two of the biggest disappointments in baseball, while Gordon Beckham regressed offensively for the second consecutive season.

Doug Padilla covers the White Sox for ESPNChicago.com. ESPNChicago.com's Bruce Levine contributed to this report.

QUOTE (Soxfest @ Oct 10, 2011 -> 12:39 PM)
Very underwhelming choices to say the very least. The hitting coaches mentioned not much better. The loyalty factor of this organization is a death nail.

The hitting coaches are great ideas IMO. Laker has done great work with the young hitters that are now on the MLB roster.

QUOTE (Chicago White Sox @ Oct 10, 2011 -> 12:48 PM)
I like McEwing getting the 3rd base job, but the Mark Parent hiring is bizarre IMO. The relationship to Robin seems fuzzy and he's only had two years of minor league managing experience. Hopefully we find out more in the press conference, because I'm not impressed with this move.

Sharing an agent years ago adds alot in game tactics. :lolhitting

QUOTE (Soxfest @ Oct 10, 2011 -> 12:39 PM)
Very underwhelming choices to say the very least. The hitting coaches mentioned not much better. The loyalty factor of this organization is a death nail.

Good God. No major league coaching or managing experience. And will anyone on that coaching staff speak Spanish?

I'm a big Kenny Williams supporter, but this doesn't feel good at all. I sure hope KW knows what the hell he's doing.

QUOTE (SoxFanForever @ Oct 9, 2011 -> 11:02 AM)
What young players have come in and performed well?

This sounds more like they want to go with someone on the cheap and bring up an organizational guy.

Flowers, De Aza, and Viciedo all looked great upon being promoted last year.

QUOTE (Chet Kincaid @ Oct 10, 2011 -> 01:57 PM)
Good God. No major league coaching or managing experience. And will anyone on that coaching staff speak Spanish?

I'm a big Kenny Williams supporter, but this doesn't feel good at all. I sure hope KW knows what the hell he's doing.

Cooper speaks spanish fluently.