White Sox Bench Coach Search Thread

klaus kinski

• Replies 122
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

How about Frank Thomas as a hitting coach. I thought that he said in an interview that he would do it. Also, that move would get a lot of support from White Sox fans.

For bench coach, how about Fisk? I know that "no experience" again. But, catchers seems to make good coaches/manager. And again a fan favorite.

QUOTE (Milkman delivers @ Oct 8, 2011 -> 02:56 AM)
Seriously? With a manager that has no experience at all, we'd hire a bench coach that has no major league coaching history? That's about right.

I do not get this at all .............Sox should place an ad in the paper that says no experience required!

QUOTE (sunofgold @ Oct 8, 2011 -> 04:35 PM)
How about Frank Thomas as a hitting coach. I thought that he said in an interview that he would do it. Also, that move would get a lot of support from White Sox fans.

For bench coach, how about Fisk? I know that "no experience" again. But, catchers seems to make good coaches/manager. And again a fan favorite.

Frank was a great hitter but frank's hitting style ain't for everyone, remember walt wriniak was frank's mentor and walt's style ain't for everyone

QUOTE (JoshPR @ Oct 8, 2011 -> 04:40 PM)
Frank was a great hitter but frank's hitting style ain't for everyone, remember walt wriniak was frank's mentor and walt's style ain't for everyone

Sorry but I don't understand this. Isn't any hitting coach going to have his own hitting style?

QUOTE (sunofgold @ Oct 8, 2011 -> 05:13 PM)
Sorry but I don't understand this. Isn't any hitting coach going to have his own hitting style?

Not necessarily. Walt Hriniak's style is unique. Most others I see work with varying styles, more based on the players

QUOTE (toasty @ Oct 8, 2011 -> 05:19 PM)
Not necessarily. Walt Hriniak's style is unique. Most others I see work with varying styles, more based on the players

Then couldn't Frank do that. Work with varying styles. Use Hriniak's style for players who want to use it. I don't know. I think that Frank would have good advice for any hitter even if they weren't using the Hriniak style. Maybe help some of our hitters draw more walks.

Aren't Ventura and Thomas good friends? Be comfortable working together. And don't forget that Ventura was a good hitter.

Well, if not Frank that hopefully it will be Laker. He seemed to have done a good job with Flowers, DeAza, and Viciedo. Maybe they would be more comfortable with Laker.....guess then Frank could be still be another coach. Isn't 3rd base coach still open?

QUOTE (sunofgold @ Oct 8, 2011 -> 03:35 PM)

When Kenny was asked about the possibility of Frank as the hitting coach on Chicago Tribune Live, he said:

“I have talked about that with Robin and because we've had so much growth within our system and we got so many young players as well as guys trying to rebound, we are probably going to stay within the organization. We've still got to have some conversations on it and whether or not Frank is spoken to about or not, that'll be Robin's choice at the time. But I'm thinking initially, because we have history with some of our young players that have now come through and have performed well, we'll probably stick with that. But Frank will undoubtedly be welcomed to add any advice he has and he'll be part of the family because he is who he is and he's got a lot to offer.”

http://www.csnchicago.com/10/06/11/Thomas-...mp;feedID=10338

Edited by Ron

QUOTE (Ron @ Oct 9, 2011 -> 09:33 AM)
When Kenny was asked about the possibility of Frank as the hitting coach on Chicago Tribune Live, he said:

“I have talked about that with Robin and because we've had so much growth within our system and we got so many young players as well as guys trying to rebound, we are probably going to stay within the organization. We've still got to have some conversations on it and whether or not Frank is spoken to about or not, that'll be Robin's choice at the time. But I'm thinking initially, because we have history with some of our young players that have now come through and have performed well, we'll probably stick with that. But Frank will undoubtedly be welcomed to add any advice he has and he'll be part of the family because he is who he is and he's got a lot to offer.”

http://www.csnchicago.com/10/06/11/Thomas-...mp;feedID=10338

What young players have come in and performed well?

This sounds more like they want to go with someone on the cheap and bring up an organizational guy.

QUOTE (SoxFanForever @ Oct 9, 2011 -> 11:02 AM)
What young players have come in and performed well?

This sounds more like they want to go with someone on the cheap and bring up an organizational guy.

I think he's just looking for a polite way to say Frank is not a candidate.

QUOTE (SOXOBAMA @ Oct 9, 2011 -> 11:03 AM)
A close family friend is a candidate to join the White Sox coaching staff, his name is Tim Bogar..

I hope that he gets a job with the White Sox.

Interesting, he is the current third base coach for Boston Red Sox.

Would they bring him in to be the bench coach?

QUOTE (robinventura23 @ Oct 9, 2011 -> 01:15 PM)
Take this FWIW,

@cst_Cowley cst_Cowley

Mark Parent is the front-runner for the bench coach job, according to Sox sources. One said it's all but a done deal, other said not yet.

I've gotten behind the Robin Ventura deal but this mark parent signing will be very underwhelming.