2012 MLB Catch All thread

southsider2k5

• Replies 3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

CLEVELAND (AP) -- Brent Lillibridge homered, drove in two runs and scored on a squeeze bunt to back Zack McAllister's strong pitching as the Cleveland Indians beat the Boston Red Sox 5-2 on Saturday night.

Lillibridge, acquired on July 24 from Boston, tied a career high with three hits. He hit his first homer in nearly a year and had an RBI single off Franklin Morales (3-2).

LOL, Red Sox fans must be thrilled. Trade Youk for Lilli then have Lilli beat them as an Indian!

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Aug 15, 2012 -> 08:18 AM)
The sad thing is...how can management fire Valentine after this without making it look like their players are running the show?

I think management would rather Agone, Pedroia, and Lester be happy than Valentine. I doubt they will try and trade these players in order to keep Valentine on board.

It was a horrible decision from the get go to hire Valentine, his style was not what this team needed, neither with the media or the team.

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ Aug 15, 2012 -> 09:41 AM)
I think management would rather Agone, Pedroia, and Lester be happy than Valentine. I doubt they will try and trade these players in order to keep Valentine on board.

It was a horrible decision from the get go to hire Valentine, his style was not what this team needed, neither with the media or the team.

Here's the real problem though.

That team imploded under TFranc in no small part because he gave they so much rope that they hung themselves.

Any change of manager would wind up being to a guy who was going to be much harder on them.

Yeah, Valentine may be a particularly bad choice...but would they have had this reaction to any manager who tried to clamp down on the freedoms that created the 2011 mess? I think they would have.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Aug 15, 2012 -> 08:46 AM)
Here's the real problem though.

That team imploded under TFranc in no small part because he gave they so much rope that they hung themselves.

Any change of manager would wind up being to a guy who was going to be much harder on them.

Yeah, Valentine may be a particularly bad choice...but would they have had this reaction to any manager who tried to clamp down on the freedoms that created the 2011 mess? I think they would have.

I think they should have chosen a stricter Manager for sure, but Valentine's handling of team issues by airing them out in the media is downright embarrassing. there are disciplinarians that dont go to the media and tell them everything thats going on or rip on players like Valentine has.

They definitely needed someone to tighten it up, but I think Valentine was a poor choice.

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ Aug 15, 2012 -> 08:53 AM)
I think they should have chosen a stricter Manager for sure, but Valentine's handling of team issues by airing them out in the media is downright embarrassing. there are disciplinarians that dont go to the media and tell them everything thats going on or rip on players like Valentine has.

They definitely needed someone to tighten it up, but I think Valentine was a poor choice.

There is a middle ground for sure. See also Ventura, Robin. He cleaned up after Ozzie, but doesn't need to hold a nightly ego-stroking press conference to talk about all of the ways he is awesome.

QUOTE (flavum @ Aug 15, 2012 -> 11:07 AM)
Astros attempting to win their second road series this season against the Cubs today.

You know their only road series win.

It would really suck if we lost the division by 1 or 2 games, knowing that we lost a series to the Astros and all.

QUOTE (chw42 @ Aug 15, 2012 -> 11:22 AM)
It would really suck if we lost the division by 1 or 2 games, knowing that we lost a series to the Astros and all.

We'll be able to pick apart the season, and point to different things if they come up a game or two short.

If the Sox do come up short, it will more than likely come down to losing the season series against the Tigers 11-7 or getting swept in Anaheim in September, or losing 3 out of 4 vs Tampa Bay the final weekend, or losing 2 of 3 vs the Indians in the last series.

But hopefully the Sox get to 90-92 wins and we don't have to worry about that.

ESPN is beyond a joke this week..............Yankees were Monday night game are the Wednesday night and Sunday night game. :fight

Also, MLB Network game for Tuesday, Thursday, and Friday. In fact, in a 9-game stretch from 8/11 to 8/19, they are/were on MLB Network 4 times, ESPN 3 times, and FOX 1 time.